Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-03-2021, 12:56 PM

Default Range finding binos

Good day all

Looking at making a purchase on a combination rangefinder/bino's equipment. Does any one have some feedback on brand and use? Not looking to break the bank but understand that there will be a price tag associated with such a purpose.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:51 PM

I have been running the swaro EL range for the last 5 years. Been awesome, and the new ones are supposed to be better glass yet. I think the top 2 Leica, swaro, lead the pack and the rest follow.

There are several brands in the lower ranges like the Sig 3000, Meopta among others.

Like most glass purchases, this one should be a lifetime purchase, so spend the max you can to get the glass quality. It does make a difference in first and last light.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:54 PM

I bought the Vortex ones last season and they have been great for me.
in saying that if I was going to do it again I would buy the Sigs or others that work with your rifle scope
Old 05-03-2021, 05:59 PM

I have been using the Leica 10x42 Geovid HD for several years, and am very pleased with them.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:04 PM

Had Leica 10x42 BA bino's for twenty years . Very good optic.
Last year bought Vortex HD Fury 5000 Rangefinder bino's. They are really good and at 400 yds within a meter of my Leica hand held range finder. The warranty is good , I have heard some of the top brands have warranty on the optical part but not the electronics ?? Vortex covers everything. Price is pretty reasonable @ $1599
Old 05-03-2021, 08:22 PM

I hunt the mountains and the vortex fury are definitely passable optics. Good, crisp imaging, excellent ranging. I haven’t tried out higher end optics but these have no trouble picking sheep out of the shale. Can use them for hours with little eye fatigue. Only downside is the ranging button is a little hard to acquire, especially with gloves on. A dab of silicone on the button solves that pretty quickly.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:56 PM
Banned

What’s your budget?
There’s a set of vortex in the buy and sell section

If your interested in high end I have a second set of the zeiss rf ones
Old 05-03-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have been using the Leica 10x42 Geovid HD for several years, and am very pleased with them.
i have been using Geovids for about 30 years as well, fantastic glass!
Cat
Old 05-03-2021, 10:22 PM

I have the Nikon lazerforce, and they're awesome.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:26 PM

Default Rfb

Another vote for the Lieca Geovid HDB
Old 05-04-2021, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the response everyone.
I am looking at the Vortex as a possibility.
Was wondering if it makes sense to have the combination setup vs both pieces of equipment.

The less i have to carry and the easier to use is what im after and the warranty is important
Old 05-04-2021, 09:08 AM

Default Range finder

I run the Geovids as well, very happy with them.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citytaz View Post
Thanks for the response everyone.
I am looking at the Vortex as a possibility.
Was wondering if it makes sense to have the combination setup vs both pieces of equipment.

The less i have to carry and the easier to use is what im after and the warranty is important
Then you’re on the right track. I never knew how much easier it was to hunt without two gadgets hanging from your chest. Way better integrated.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:54 AM

More than happy with the Votex Fury's. Been running them for a few years now with no issues other that the ranging button is hard to find especially with gloves on. Duct taped a small button on it and its much easier to find.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:41 AM

Thanks again for the comments. As i will be hunting Elk this year i am trying to prepare for the best available circumstances.

Proper gear, proper clothing and target practice is part of the plan.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:08 AM

Have owned and used pretty much all of the major makers. Had the first model Bushnell when they first brought them out as a consumer unit. Swaro, Leupold, Sig and many more over the years. Between my hunting partners and I we now only own Leica. Have some Leica RF products that are going on 20 years old. Have never had to send any back and no one beats the glass in them. My Leica CRF 2000 I carry full time in the breast pocket of my Jackshirt. Unless I am going to spend all day glassing, I don't bother with binoculars. Those 7X monocular works just great for ranging and viewing, weigh next to nothing and are very compact. Also, 1/4 the price of the Binos. Yes Vortex has a better warranty, but they need to, cause they break often.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:52 AM

Looks like Steiner will have a very reasonably priced set on the market in the next few months. Might be worth checking out if true.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:17 PM

Ok... now im curious to hear more about issues with Vortex.
Does anyone else had or heard about quality or design problems.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I use the HD5000 and haven't had a problem with them, another hunting buddy has em as well without a problem. The glass is pretty good with a light blue hue on the right eye. Never had it not be able to range and the only time I used warranty is when I slipped and they took a tumble. Vortex got em back to me in 5 days looking brand new.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:42 PM

i have always invested in good quality optics. Leica , Zeiss and Nightforce. I tried my buddies Vortex and was very impressed but a tad skeptical how they would stand up and usually regret cheaping out. I do not regret purchasing the Vortex at all. I can use the extra two grand + for something else.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:

With respect to my comment about Vortex breaking, to be fair, the biggest issue is with their scopes going south and not holding zero. You don't have to do much googling to find those issues. I bought a number of Vortex scopes all at one time on a GREAT deal, all went back more than once, I own none of them now. sold new in box after last warranty returns. Warranty service is really great from Vortex.
With Binos and RF gear, them breaking is not to me a real big deal. They won't mess up a hunt like a scope that won't hold zero. For the right price and if the glass was good enough, Vortex RF binos would be on my buy list if budget was a concern.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:05 PM

Dean I have experienced [once] ...and my hunting pals many issues with Vortex scopes. I bought a Golden Eagle 15 x 60 x 52 , mounted it and the crosshairs were canted clockwise... not from my installation it was a factory defect that the repair center in Guelph confirmed. They did send me a brand new scope and were very punctual and customer communication was great.
Pretty hard to beat.
But I will not buy another Vortex scope , hearing way to many issues in the last 3-4 years.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:10 PM

All good comments
Given that the issues are on a different item than the Fury 5000 i am leaning toward that purchase. Thx everyone
Old 05-04-2021, 08:11 PM

I run fury 5000s recently sent them back for a crack on the eye piece they were gone for two weeks and came back repaired and looked great. There is no comparison to swaro glass. With that said they aren’t too far behind leicas in my eyes anyways. The rangefinder is extremely fast and accurate. Like others have said save the 2k and buy a spotting scope.

Only downside I can say is they are fairly heavy. When belly crawling across the stubble there were times I wish I would have been packing my 8x30 swaro range finder. Definitely cannot hold them with one hand peaking around a little shrub brush like you can with smaller rangefinders.

All in all the Fury 5000s have been great and wouldn’t hesitate to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2021, 08:20 PM

I have a Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 3000 and badlands harness pouch. It’s a really good set up great for most targets furthest I’ve ranged something in the bush was over 2,000 yds away. If you set it all up correctly with your rifle and bullet and all that it tells you elevation and incline, and distance pretty good. I’m from uk so bought them when I lived there. Pretty sure they are a German maker like the Schmidt and bender scope I have too which is also awesome. Don’t know how easy they are to come by in Canada. Everyone seems to have vortex stuff.