Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-10-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
While it isn't a lot of fun to hunt for hours and not see a single bird, I don't find it much more enjoyable to arrive during a release or very shortly after. I go on weekdays, and I enjoy hunting at least a few hours after a release or the next day, so the dog gets a good run, and we spend at least an hour to kill our limits. The releases are more random now , so you can't predict them as easily in the past, and I enjoy that, as it keeps people from sitting around waiting for the truck, and then shooting as the driver releases the birds.
I agree completely.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:42 PM

Agreed with all that was said, and thanks for the info too.

Yeah, I guess I was just in bad mood about this recent experience. But last year wasn't much better for me.

Maybe I just have bad luck/timing on when I go out LOL. I guess that just means go out more then
Old 09-10-2018, 02:30 PM

With respect may I suggest driving a bit further to find less pressured sites? Like fishing the further you go the more birds you will encounter. I'm sure you are aware of this site http://www.ab-conservation.com/progr...release-sites/
When I lived in Calgary a few years ago I never hunted Hopewell once...my usual haunts included Bigleow, Namaka and several around Brooks including Lore lake and Antelope Ranch. Now that we are living in St Albert it's now a six hour drive to the Taber area where I have secured private access for wild birds...sorry dear but that now means a 3 day weekend...
Old 09-10-2018, 02:43 PM

As a follow up any info/observations on the Capital Power release site west of Edmonton would be appreciated. Planning to check it out for the first time later this week with the hound. PM if preferred...Thanks in advance....sk
Old 09-10-2018, 03:24 PM

Went out Friday afternoon/evening to Capital Power site.....the good thing about it....is that its close to the city, the bad....its close to the city. My two dogs didnt find anything, grass is very long, more bush than open field, many places where there is barbed wire, so poses some what of a concern with the dogs. I probably will not go there again. Rather drive the extra 45 minutes and go to south plain or daysland.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:53 PM

Season not open here yet but have been helping aca do wild brid count it's good training for my 2 year old German short hair wire hair cross cant wait till it opens up, the one site he pointed out pheasant, partridge and sharp tails, I thought there would have been less bird with the hard winter but I think the numbers are way lower the last year hope I'm wrong
Old 09-10-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain11 View Post
With respect may I suggest driving a bit further to find less pressured sites? Like fishing the further you go the more birds you will encounter. I'm sure you are aware of this site http://www.ab-conservation.com/progr...release-sites/
When I lived in Calgary a few years ago I never hunted Hopewell once...my usual haunts included Bigleow, Namaka and several around Brooks including Lore lake and Antelope Ranch. Now that we are living in St Albert it's now a six hour drive to the Taber area where I have secured private access for wild birds...sorry dear but that now means a 3 day weekend...
Yup, considered going to Bigelow. Namaka is usually my go-to but not open until Oct. 15th this year. Maybe I'll drive out another hour to Bigelow next time...
Old 09-11-2018, 09:13 AM

Talked to the Capital Power Security guy, he said only 247 guys registered to hunt at Genese site so lots of company and not many birds. Your dog will work hard for each bird.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:33 AM

40 mins from my door, but birds are scarce/non existent is my experience so far
Old 09-11-2018, 09:57 AM

Thanks for all the feedback on Capital Power site guys....crowds and dumb birds are the norm at the release sites early in the season in my experience. But it's all we have up here in the Artic. May check out at least one or two of these sites in the next few weeks. Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:54 AM

A fairly slow day at Daysland yesterday, I managed to get my two birds in an hour, but there were a lot more hunters than I expected for a Tuesday. I heard 9-10 shots in total and a few times it was multiple shots at once, so likely all at one bird. As usual, the birds were in the brush.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Took the little 28 gauge out for a spin today. Had a couple within an hour and flushed a couple more on the way in. A little too warm for the hounds but a good time was had by all.

[IMG][/IMG]

The little SXS is deadly on Ruffies as well, might be a keeper.

[IMG][/IMG]
Nice pictures, good job!
Old 09-16-2018, 10:30 PM

How has hopewell been lately?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2018, 10:22 AM

Default Griff?

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;3835804]The rain stopped and the dog was anxious to go, so we headed out to Daysland for a trip. I was amazed to see no vehicles on the East side, and only one on the South. As I put my boots on I heard a few shots, which was a good sign, so we headed off way to the north to give the dog some exercise, and not limit out too soon. After about a half hour, we headed back towards the release area, and in about fifteen minutes, the dog pointed four roosters, two of which flushed in heavy cover, allowing no shot, but the other two presented easy shots at around twenty yards. I did hear seven or eight other shots, and saw at least one other bird killed, but I was actually surprised that there weren't more hunters on a holiday.

Elkhunter, Is that a Griff that you are hunting with? Did you train it yourself. I am on a wait list for this coming June for a puppy. I would like to here more about where you acquired yours and any training tips when you have time. A PM would be good.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=caddisman;3842593]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The rain stopped and the dog was anxious to go, so we headed out to Daysland for a trip. I was amazed to see no vehicles on the East side, and only one on the South. As I put my boots on I heard a few shots, which was a good sign, so we headed off way to the north to give the dog some exercise, and not limit out too soon. After about a half hour, we headed back towards the release area, and in about fifteen minutes, the dog pointed four roosters, two of which flushed in heavy cover, allowing no shot, but the other two presented easy shots at around twenty yards. I did hear seven or eight other shots, and saw at least one other bird killed, but I was actually surprised that there weren't more hunters on a holiday.

Elkhunter, Is that a Griff that you are hunting with? Did you train it yourself. I am on a wait list for this coming June for a puppy. I would like to here more about where you acquired yours and any training tips when you have time. A PM would be good.
Drahthaar, but he has so much facial hair, that some people mistake him for a Griff. My pup came from Vom Slaney Vale, who I can't recommend highly enough. I know other people that have pups from the same female, and all have turned out to be excellent hunting dogs , and excellent house dogs. I belong to Prairie Vista NAVHDA and the club helped me a great deal with the training. Members of our club do have some excellent Griffs, but I don't know which breeders they came from.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Talked to the Capital Power Security guy, he said only 247 guys registered to hunt at Genese site so lots of company and not many birds. Your dog will work hard for each bird.
I am one of those 247. I thought I might take my dog out there and let him run around and maybe scare up a bird or two. But, I have had second thoughts on this and will wait till next year.
Hopefully by then I can convince Pixel Shooter to help me train Indy to quarter and find birds.

For now, call it 246 guys registered.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:08 PM

I'm one of those 246 guys, haven't been out there yet but by the sounds of it I might not head there. Down to 245. :-)
Old 09-18-2018, 02:52 PM

It was a short hunt today, six birds in 40 minutes. The most shots I have heard this year, everyone with a dog was finding birds.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:36 PM

Is bringing a friend with a dog (very well trained) an issue around licensing for him?
Old 09-19-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadog View Post
Is bringing a friend with a dog (very well trained) an issue around licensing for him?

I actually just confirmed this with AEP. He can be with you and doesn't need a license, as long as he is not in possession of a firearm at any time.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:37 PM

South Plain was tough today! We only managed to flush 2 and they were almost impossible shots. Walked an absolute ton with two dogs. Guess we should have gone to Daysland. :-(
Old 09-19-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
I actually just confirmed this with AEP. He can be with you and doesn't need a license, as long as he is not in possession of a firearm at any time.

Appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2018, 02:40 PM

Plenty of birds at Daysland again. Very few hunters, everyone seemed to get their limits in short order. We had flock after flock of sandhill cranes over us.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:29 PM

Interesting morning with the stiff breeze and snow. Little guy is doing well this year. 13 pheasants and 4 sharptails Starting to want to sleep on the gun case.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:11 PM

A solid morning Monday at Genesee. Flushed five, took home three between the three of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2018, 05:52 PM

Got out to Hopewell this week
Dog put up 3 rooster I missed 2 and got 1
Seeing the dog working on rooster running around was awesome.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
Got out to Hopewell this week
Dog put up 3 rooster I missed 2 and got 1
Seeing the dog working on rooster running around was awesome.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk
Good looking dog, your dog looks like he is proud to do what he does
Old 09-28-2018, 02:47 PM

Had my pup out at Bigelow last week in the snow! He's doing great!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrem597x1977 View Post
Had my pup out at Bigelow last week in the snow! He's doing great!

Where’s your Griffon out of?
Old 09-28-2018, 03:18 PM

Razor's edge by beaver lodge