Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-22-2018, 09:24 PM

Default Rifled Barrel Slug Gun Problem

So back in July i ordered the 12 Gauge SXP Extreme Deer Hunter (rifled barrel) thru P&D. I had a Nikon Scope mounted on it, bore sighted from P&D i finally had the time to go shoot it last weekend. I bought 6 boxes of Remington Premier Accutip Sabot Slugs 12gauge 3 inch ($25x6 boxes) a box for 5 slugs. Had the gun on the gun sighting stand & a big target at 100yards.

Fired a few shots all missed the 4ftx2ft board & target, moved the target to 50 yards, fired a few more shots, missed all of them, moved the target to 25 yards, again missed all shots, couldn't believe it wasted $50 dollars in ammo already. Had to walk up to the target 15 yards away just to barely hit the leg of the target in the bottom right, adjusted the scope a bit fired a few shots, once i could hit the board at 50 yards, i shot to try and hit the 100 yard target, missed. had to crank the scope up 96 clicks roughly & 48 clicks left. Now im hitting the 100 yard target i have about 8 shots left, I aim at the bulls eye every time each shot would shoot sporadically, one would hit bottom left 8 inches from bullseye then top left tried fine tuning the scope. would try to fire 3 consistent shots and they would be all over the board, two shots left aim at the same spot one hits 8 inches left the next hits 8 inches left and 8 down. ****ed that i wasted $130 in ammo.

Come back to Edmonton & on Thursday take it back to P&D for them to check the scope mounting hardware to make sure nothing came loose. They take it all off and re-do the process, re bore sight it, everything, great service, i tell them about me needing to crank the scope 150 clicks total & they say that should not happen and that with bore sight the gun should hit the target at 100. I told them i bought 3 different kinds of ammo to test & they said if it still does it, its the gun that's the problem.

Friday i head out to sight it in again, set up the target at 100 yards, i bought 4 boxes of Hornady SST 2 3/4" Sabot Slugs $15 a box, 2 boxes Federal Premium 3" Trophy Copper Sabot Slugs $20 a box & 2 boxes of Winchester Dual Bond 3" Sabot Slugs $27 a box. (gun can shoot 2 3/4" & 3" slugs) Took a shot missed, took one more see its hitting the ground to the bottom right of the target, Crank the scope 100 clicks up & 50 clicks to the left( now i do not touch the scope for any of the following shots). Now im hitting the paper i aim at the center bullseye i shoot 13 shells of the Hornady, all over the place zero consistency or accuracy one would hit the edge of the bullseye then one 6 inches away then one 8 inches away from those 2 etc, shoot 4 shells of the Fed premium, all over the place 4-8 inches in all random directions some miss the board, Shoot 2 shells of the expensive Winchester ammo, one hit the left of the bullseye & one hit bottom right of the target. So i gave up & stopped using ammo.

Then i noticed on 3 shells the gun tore a hole in the edge of the shells, same type of hole on each shell .....

The 3 near bullseye were not consistent shots or from the same brand of round

So now with last weekend and this weekend i have wasted over $200 in ammo with zero progress so i phone P&D to ask what i do next, they say i have to go thru Winchester warranty & that i have a 1 yr warranty & P&D emailed me the number to call. Im going to call Monday morning & explain all this to them, I have zero confidence in this gun & if i have zero confidence i will not hunt with it, I pretty much want a new gun.

Has anyone dealt with Winchester warranty before? Are they good to deal with ? & also do you guys agree the gun is f****d? Do you think they will reimburse me for $200 in ammo or send me some Winchester ammo?
Old 09-22-2018, 10:12 PM

Looks like the extractor is holding on when the next round goes into the chamber?
Old 09-22-2018, 10:15 PM

As for accuracy or lack of, quite possible the rifling is done poorly or missing in some spots down the barrel, causing the slug to tumble.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:16 PM

I see some of the holes aren't round. Another sign the slug is not hitting straight.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:55 PM

Plastic fouling from sabot?
Gun was made in Turkey, so possibly a rifling issue.
I shoot the Winchester BRI sabot slug from my Rem 870 Sureshot Turkey with cantilever rifled barrel.
I boresight at 25/50yds and hit 8" circle at 100yds then fine tune.
I've never boresighted and gone straight to 100, always shoot a couple at 25, 50 then 100.
I have Nikon Slug scope too.

And these ones I'm giving try this fall;
Slug R Us - "Hammerhead Slug"

Hope it all eventually works for you, there's nothing like sailing a slug thru a deer!!!
Old 09-22-2018, 11:11 PM

I get it has been a while since you purchased but I think P&D could have done more than just giving you a number to call. They have way more clout with manufactures then you ever will. There is something wrong with the gun that looks like a combination of extractor and possibly rifiling
Old 09-23-2018, 12:05 AM

Hornady brass is generally softer than other manufacturers which is why it looks the way it does.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:55 AM

Are you allowing 5 minutes for barrel to cool between shots?

If you haven’t then you need to scrub the plastic foul out.

What scope is on the rig?

I have spent thousands on slug guns and slug ammo and learned some good lessons along the way.

I understand your pain.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:42 AM

Bashaw Sports Centre and Calgary Shooting Centre Ltd. are both listed as authorized Winchester warranty repair locations in Alberta. You could give them a call and see what they suggest.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcw View Post
Are you allowing 5 minutes for barrel to cool between shots?

If you haven’t then you need to scrub the plastic foul out.

What scope is on the rig?

I have spent thousands on slug guns and slug ammo and learned some good lessons along the way.

I understand your pain.
I did not know i had to wait between shots, never read that anywhere to be honest

Nikon Buckmaster II 4-12x40
Old 09-23-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Plastic fouling from sabot?
Gun was made in Turkey, so possibly a rifling issue.
I shoot the Winchester BRI sabot slug from my Rem 870 Sureshot Turkey with cantilever rifled barrel.
I boresight at 25/50yds and hit 8" circle at 100yds then fine tune.
I've never boresighted and gone straight to 100, always shoot a couple at 25, 50 then 100.

Hope it all eventually works for you, there's nothing like sailing a slug thru a deer!!!
Well even after i have it hitting at 25 yards, then 50 then 100 it shoots sporadically, that picture of the target at 100 yards all those shots the scope wasn't touched i left it the same for every shot. No accuracy or consistency.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
I get it has been a while since you purchased but I think P&D could have done more than just giving you a number to call. They have way more clout with manufactures then you ever will. There is something wrong with the gun that looks like a combination of extractor and possibly rifiling

I thought the same thing bought the gun June 13th sat in my gun case till last weekend when i finally had time to go shoot it. Been 3 months pretty much since i bought the gun
Old 09-23-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
I see some of the holes aren't round. Another sign the slug is not hitting straight.
Thanks ill mention that when i call Winchester tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Try just slugs to see if there is a difference in accuracy?
Ya never know.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-24-2018, 11:06 AM

I think the blow out on the brass is from the portion of the bolt face where the extractor cut is. For some reason the pressure is excessive and blowing the brass out . Maybe ammo or barrel issue. That will have to be determined .
Old 09-24-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
I think the blow out on the brass is from the portion of the bolt face where the extractor cut is. For some reason the pressure is excessive and blowing the brass out . Maybe ammo or barrel issue. That will have to be determined .
Or maybe hot load or rough chamber and extractor tearing brass
Old 09-24-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Excessive pressure would show signs on primer which it doesn’t.
Yes you are correct that it is from the extractor. The extractor is ripping the soft brass rim.
One of the reasons I will not reload Hornady brass, too soft.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Excessive pressure would show signs on primer which it doesn’t.
Yes you are correct that it is from the extractor. The extractor is ripping the soft brass rim.
One of the reasons I will not reload Hornady brass, too soft.
Not necessarily the case with shotgun ammo it presents a little different indicators than rifle , but probably is the extractor tearing
Old 09-24-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily the case with shotgun ammo it presents a little different indicators than rifle , but probably is the extractor tearing
I’ll check if I have any “flattened” primers from some of my slug and buckshot reloads. They do the same as a centerfire ctg would in my experience.

No luck, I either resized them already or tossed them. But I found these pics showing cratered primer strike and flat surface (well, flatter than normal pressure)

The Ops pic shows the primers deep almost bowl appearance.

Last edited by Huntsman; 09-24-2018 at 07:38 PM.