Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2018, 09:46 PM

Default OTA TV antennae's

Who all is using a digital over the air tv antenna and what has your success been?

I live in a rural part of SW Saskatchewan now, I gave up the Satellite TV subscription quite some time ago. Decided I wasn't paying $100/month to sit on the couch.

I get more than enough brain rotting entertainment from Netflix or YouTube but it would be nice to have local news and Hockey Night in Canada.

I've looked at a few of the supposed coverage maps and it seems that there should be a few channels available in my area but I don't know a soul that actually has one of these around here.

Anyone have experience with these and what are the better ones to buy? Difficult to set up?

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:23 PM

We are in calgary, and use the "rabbit ears". You can get the digital boxes at Canadian tire too. We get the local CTV broadcast which I like for the weather and news. The TV is pretty mindless but you get nfl broadcasts on Sunday's. We also get CBC. Terrible, programming but the saturday hockey is clear. We also get global. And another channel is more hit than miss. It's the most economical way to go, one time shot of 60.00 for the box and then Netflix to supplement.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:02 AM

I am a cable cutter and actually like my setup better than before. I am in Calgary so closer to the stations but run a Clear Stream antenna for my local HD. This comes in a few variations depending on distances from the towers. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10319740.aspx?
I also run Android boxes for everything else and I have them setup for movies, shows, sports, internet, games or anything else I can do on my TV Laptop, tablet or phone. Just make sure you get something decent and you will not regret it not the cheapo units.

Just make sure you decent internet and there is not much need for cable or satellite any longer. You can also subscribe to IPTV services or sports packages relatively cheap if you want more focused packages.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:15 AM

Go to TV Fool and type in your coordinates. It will give you the distance to the transmitter and an indication of the signal strength. That will give you a good idea what it will take to get you watching OTA.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:27 AM

do you need a box or is it just the antenna needed? I would like to hook up one to my travel trailer at the lake for hockey games while we are at hunting camp
Old 09-23-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
do you need a box or is it just the antenna needed? I would like to hook up one to my travel trailer at the lake for hockey games while we are at hunting camp
If you have a modern TV with a digital tuner, then an antenna is all that is needed.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.