Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-14-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Respect social distancing laws yes but we are still not on lockdown

The risk of Covid19 is at its greatest in high density or high traffic areas within our towns and cities. The high risk areas are not our lakes and rivers

Common sense please
That's the problem. There isn't ANY common sense going around these days.

They cant arrest all of us when we all show up at our favorite lake on may long

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Good point. I suppose they could wear disposable gloves, get you to put your license on your cooler so they don't have to get within 2 metres of you, then check things and then dispose of the gloves. Cumbersome though. Maybe that sort of issue will lead to a complete fishery closure, guess we will see.
In a country where you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent. Not being able to check to make sure you are not guilty, they will be closing fishing if they decide to keep this going into late spring.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschambault View Post
There are a series of very large cabins that are accessed through the park gates and then a private road. These are all beautiful waterfront.
some are full time residences so they have to allow them access. the rest of us, no

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-14-2020, 09:07 AM

I suspect the EID will also lock down their boat ramps because they won't have anyone there to enforce their invasive species protocol if the campgrounds aren't open. It's going to be a long summer (assuming it arrives).
Old 04-14-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse shoer View Post
That's the problem. There isn't ANY common sense going around these days.

They cant arrest all of us when we all show up at our favorite lake on may long

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
That's the kind of thinking that will get fishing CLOSED for sure
Old 04-14-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportman View Post
That's the kind of thinking that will get fishing CLOSED for sure
I agree if people start social gatherings out fish it will cause a closer but those living in fear demanding people stay home are also asking officials for restrictions and closures

People on both ends of this need to us common sense. Fishing can easily be done within social distancing rules easily. Those who will wreck it for everyone is those who use it as an act of rebellion and those living in fear trying to control everyone else

Hopefully people from either extreme don’t screw it up for the rest of us
Old 04-14-2020, 10:43 AM

That is the most lucid response I have see. The world is not ending but let's not throw away all the good that has been done by shutting down the economy either. This will not be a normal season but hopefully it will be a season. Let's be smart and safe but also hopeful.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I agree if people start social gatherings out fish it will cause a closer but those living in fear demanding people stay home are also asking officials for restrictions and closures

People on both ends of this need to us common sense. Fishing can easily be done within social distancing rules easily. Those who will wreck it for everyone is those who use it as an act of rebellion and those living in fear trying to control everyone else

Hopefully people from either extreme don’t screw it up for the rest of us
Xxx2
Old 04-14-2020, 03:38 PM

True story, about two weeks ago I was at a local lake that has no closures. 2 SUV loads of people from Calgary there, about 10 or 12 of them. Absolutely no distancing at all. I left. Friend was there last week, he said there were about 30 TFW there, again no distancing. Bear in mind there was about 100 ft of open water there, with a culvert that everyone congregated around. I don't have a lot of faith in the amount of common sense in others.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-14-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
True story, about two weeks ago I was at a local lake that has no closures. 2 SUV loads of people from Calgary there, about 10 or 12 of them. Absolutely no distancing at all. I left. Friend was there last week, he said there were about 30 TFW there, again no distancing. Bear in mind there was about 100 ft of open water there, with a culvert that everyone congregated around. I don't have a lot of faith in the amount of common sense in others.
30 TFW sounds like there was an issue but I question if it was 30. 2 meters is not much either and this does not apply to members of the same household either. 2 suvs if the members in each SUV are from the same household there is no issue.

Would not be shocked if they were breaking the rules and they would be doing it everywhere else they go as well.

Should we all be on full lockdown then?
Old 04-14-2020, 04:14 PM

Shutting down things like fishing would be such a pointless exercise. As has been beat to death the risk is so much higher doing other things that are essential to us living.

Sure there are going to be some people out who don't seem to care. People are people and some are not getting the distancing thing at all. The ones constantly screaming to stay locked up in your house view these types as dangerous but imho there is a mental health aspect to this whole pandemic that makes the fear peddlers just as dangerous themselves.

We aren't on lockdown and as long as we aren't I'm going fishing using some common sense and ample physical distancing. I really, and I mean really could care less if I'm a bad guy to those who refuse to leave the basement.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Shutting down things like fishing would be such a pointless exercise. As has been beat to death the risk is so much higher doing other things that are essential to us living.

Sure there are going to be some people out who don't seem to care. People are people and some are not getting the distancing thing at all. The ones constantly screaming to stay locked up in your house view these types as dangerous but imho there is a mental health aspect to this whole pandemic that makes the fear peddlers just as dangerous themselves.

We aren't on lockdown and as long as we aren't I'm going fishing using some common sense and ample physical distancing. I really, and I mean really could care less if I'm a bad guy to those who refuse to leave the basement.
And I sincerely COULDN'T care less if you get heavily fined and/or arrested for disobeying provincial orders. Just stay the f*** home....Christ.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
And I sincerely COULDN'T care less if you get heavily fined and/or arrested for disobeying provincial orders. Just stay the f*** home....Christ.
Looks like you need to get outside...lol
Old 04-14-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
You need to do some research on what rules and laws are in place. We are not on lockdown we are under social/physical distancing

Now if you wish to stay home you are within your legal right. If someone wants to go out and remain within social/physical distancing laws which means stay 2m or more away from anyone that is not from your household they are also within their legal rights

You clearly need to look into the social/physical distancing laws and stop yelling at others to stay home

Last edited by Smoky buck; 04-14-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
You need to do some research on what rules and laws are in place. We are not on lockdown we are under social/physical distancing

Now if you wish to stay home you are within your legal right. If someone wants to go out and remain within social/physical distancing laws which means stay 6m or more away from anyone that is not from your household they are also within their legal rights

You clearly need to look into the social/physical distancing laws and stop yelling at others to stay home
And it goes two ways and you understand as well that you are taking some risks and fishing would have to be considered non-essential travel / activity. It may seem essential to some of us fishing nut-cases but it is a recreational sport after all. All that some of the others on here are saying is take the break now so that we don't end up in a worse place. Especially through this key time in the outbreak.

You have to stop for gas, you might pick up a sandwich the day before or the groceries for your lunch, you might get stuck or breakdown and need help...etc. Certainly not zero risk.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
30 TFW sounds like there was an issue but I question if it was 30. 2 meters is not much either and this does not apply to members of the same household either. 2 suvs if the members in each SUV are from the same household there is no issue.

Would not be shocked if they were breaking the rules and they would be doing it everywhere else they go as well.

I wasn't there, but I believe him. Personally I have seen so many of them there I never bothered counting, lots of kids. They are farm workers and right now there is not much to do I would guess. I doubt they roam far from home, but this lake gets pounded by them. As for the Calgary group I doubt they were from the same household, they were all middle aged men.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-14-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
And it goes two ways and you understand as well that you are taking some risks and fishing would have to be considered non-essential travel / activity. It may seem essential to some of us fishing nut-cases but it is a recreational sport after all. All that some of the others on here are saying is take the break now so that we don't end up in a worse place. Especially through this key time in the outbreak.

You have to stop for gas, you might pick up a sandwich the day before or the groceries for your lunch, you might get stuck or breakdown and need help...etc. Certainly not zero risk.
This is where it gets complicated because there has been contradictions where we have been told to get outdoors within physical distancing laws as well for both our mental health and physical exercise. But then there is also the stay home as much as possible commercials

We are not actually restricted to only leaving the house for essentials

There should be common sense used with stops and travel. The arguments of what ifs can be applied to everything even walking throughout your home. Nothing is zero risk but fishing is low risk if you use common sense
Old 04-14-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I wasn't there, but I believe him. Personally I have seen so many of them there I never bothered counting, lots of kids. They are farm workers and right now there is not much to do I would guess. I doubt they roam far from home, but this lake gets pounded by them. As for the Calgary group I doubt they were from the same household, they were all middle aged men.
Neither of us really know and they fully well could have been breaking physical distancing rules

The bigger question why are we bringing in TFW with a major jump in unemployment and we are faced with this pandemic?

I would not be surprised if these TFW don’t even know the physical distancing rules in place
Old 04-14-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Yes. I wish we had a country wide full lock down 3 weeks ago. We would probably be close to controlling the plague but they just increase the numbers every day waiting for instructions from one of those so called medical experts. This waiting is guaranteed to have a lousy summer.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
Yes. I wish we had a country wide full lock down 3 weeks ago. We would probably be close to controlling the plague but they just increase the numbers every day waiting for instructions from one of those so called medical experts. This waiting is guaranteed to have a lousy summer.
A lockdown would not have accomplished a thing at that when you still had Canadians returning from over seas. We also have interprovincial travel

I could tell you all kinds of things from healthcare workers from 3 provinces that would drive you crazy if you wish we were on lockdown 3 weeks ago

Anyone who wishes for lockdown is with in their legal right to do it voluntarily to eliminate personal risk too
Old 04-14-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
A lockdown would not have accomplished a thing at that when you still had Canadians returning from over seas. We also have interprovincial travel

I could tell you all kinds of things from healthcare workers from 3 provinces that would drive you crazy if you wish we were on lockdown 3 weeks ago

Anyone who wishes for lockdown is with in their legal right to do it voluntarily to eliminate personal risk too
Good points but what we are doing here is not working. It’s obvious with the numbers every day going up. I am not sure what to think anymore.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Good points but what we are doing here is not working. It’s obvious with the numbers every day going up. I am not sure what to think anymore.
Care homes with healthy residents confined with positive Covid19 cases is not helping the numbers and that issue is on the news every day. This is just one issue

But I am stopping with the detail here there is too many Covid19 debate threads

In regards to fishing I will go and respect physical distancing laws till we are on lockdown. I plan to stay close to home and avoid busy fishing spots because I believe it is taking personal common sense precautions

I will not put myself in unnecessary lockdown
Old 04-14-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Please look at all the data. Even our chief medical expert said. The numbers will go up with more testing. She also said it’s running about 2% positive tests against number of tested people therefore showing the curve is flattening People need to look at the raw data the government supplies to us EVERY day and make some of their own conclusions. Most of us here don’t believe everything the media tells us so why start now. Make informed decisions based on real numbers. This is also based on having true real numbers. Make your own informed decisions and respect each other’s decisions
Old 04-14-2020, 08:56 PM
Suspended User

I find it quite hard to believe that my family jumping in our vehicle, and driving 10 to 40 miles to go play is supposed to be prohibited in some minds. Our hikes into campsites and conservation areas keep my 7 year old daughter sane. It's too late for me, but she needs fresh air and exercise.

Look at the health challenges we are experiencing as a society. Obesity, hypertension, mental health problems, and cardiovascular problems. Locking yourself inside needlessly now, will only exacerbate those problems. Driving to a quiet spot for a walk in the fresh air is probably the best thing possible. The idea that you are going to make a bunch of interactions with many people only tells me about how unorganized that person is.

Anyways...
The government has a clear list of provincial parks and recreation areas that they intend to close because of lack of use. I've been to many of them, and enjoyed them. Going to them now should be done, they are under used so social distancing should be easy.

Now with OHVs banned, many places will get time to regrow. Back ways into lakes won't be accessible,. I'm looking forward to the peace and quiet.

We hike through snow and mud, to enjoy the air. Air that hasn't been contaminated by people. We are currently exploring a piece of land that's over 300 acres. We see deer and moose, no humans. I love provincial parks in the winter. Now with gates closed for the spring, the birds and wildlife will be wandering freely. Opportunities for my young daughter to spend time without people being near are the norm. We have a higher risk of rabies than the virus.

Finally, my wife works in senior care and needs her time with Mother Earth. Her days and nights are full of terror and anxiety. Her dreams are terrible. We all need to get out. Just because some of you think that fresh air is bad, it won't stop us from going to walk in closed, empty areas. There seems to be a misconception about where people are going, but stop assuming that we are somehow risking lives by enjoying our God's gift. Mother Earth is my family's god. Our connection goes back generations.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
This is where it gets complicated because there has been contradictions where we have been told to get outdoors within physical distancing laws as well for both our mental health and physical exercise. But then there is also the stay home as much as possible commercials

We are not actually restricted to only leaving the house for essentials

There should be common sense used with stops and travel. The arguments of what ifs can be applied to everything even walking throughout your home. Nothing is zero risk but fishing is low risk if you use common sense
It is your call to make and I really have no problem...just don't get sick!
I was just trying to bring a bit more understanding why you may see some people react with a "stay home!". It is understandable to me. This thread has been beat to literal crap.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
I find it quite hard to believe that my family jumping in our vehicle, and driving 10 to 40 miles to go play is supposed to be prohibited in some minds. Our hikes into campsites and conservation areas keep my 7 year old daughter sane. It's too late for me, but she needs fresh air and exercise.

Look at the health challenges we are experiencing as a society. Obesity, hypertension, mental health problems, and cardiovascular problems. Locking yourself inside needlessly now, will only exacerbate those problems. Driving to a quiet spot for a walk in the fresh air is probably the best thing possible. The idea that you are going to make a bunch of interactions with many people only tells me about how unorganized that person is.

Anyways...
The government has a clear list of provincial parks and recreation areas that they intend to close because of lack of use. I've been to many of them, and enjoyed them. Going to them now should be done, they are under used so social distancing should be easy.

Now with OHVs banned, many places will get time to regrow. Back ways into lakes won't be accessible,. I'm looking forward to the peace and quiet.

We hike through snow and mud, to enjoy the air. Air that hasn't been contaminated by people. We are currently exploring a piece of land that's over 300 acres. We see deer and moose, no humans. I love provincial parks in the winter. Now with gates closed for the spring, the birds and wildlife will be wandering freely. Opportunities for my young daughter to spend time without people being near are the norm. We have a higher risk of rabies than the virus.

Finally, my wife works in senior care and needs her time with Mother Earth. Her days and nights are full of terror and anxiety. Her dreams are terrible. We all need to get out. Just because some of you think that fresh air is bad, it won't stop us from going to walk in closed, empty areas. There seems to be a misconception about where people are going, but stop assuming that we are somehow risking lives by enjoying our God's gift. Mother Earth is my family's god. Our connection goes back generations.
Great post. My wife used to work in long term care but now is working with the general public and those in need.

We are lucky. We live on a very self-isolated farm in the sticks. Every day is a peaceful walk out our front door.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:06 PM

Sorry for the dumb question but what is TFW?
Old 04-14-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
Sorry for the dumb question but what is TFW?
I believe it's temporary foreign workers, used in that context. Could be wrong.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:19 AM

https://youtu.be/tZ5EIjwux_0
Old 04-15-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
It is your call to make and I really have no problem...just don't get sick!
I was just trying to bring a bit more understanding why you may see some people react with a "stay home!". It is understandable to me. This thread has been beat to literal crap.
So far I know there is no positive cases in my town so that is a good start. If I am going to get sick it’s more likely to be from my wife bringing it home from working at the hospital if they start getting cases of Covid19

I understand where people’s whole stay home stance comes from unfortunately there is a lot of mixed messages, poor understanding, and a lack of solid guidelines put out for the public. Start googling things add fear and things go wild

I can’t wait till this is all over and hope all stay healthy