Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-03-2023, 09:49 PM

Default No disrespect intended, but….

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
For hunting, would be hard to beat the 147 or 140 ELD-M or Sierra TMK in my books.
Both of these bullets are match (target) bullets, m stands for match in both cases. Not designed for hunting, but do a superior job for accuracy. They don’t open up reliably bc of their thick jackets.

However, each of them has a hunting counterpart with only a slightly lower bc, the eld-x (x stands for expanding) and the TGK which is the Sierra Tipped Game King.

Our game deserves to be killed as reliably and as ethically as possible. Please only use bullets designed for that job. While it’s true that shot placement is the #1 job for us as hunters, and match bullets can help us do that (arguably), it’s also true that there are plenty of good quality hunting bullets out there, that we can find one that shoots well for us in our particular rifle.

Now I’ll sit back and see how severely I get roasted, lol
Old 04-04-2023, 09:33 PM

I load 100gr Barnes Ttsx in thev6.5 cm my youngest daughter shoots and it kills deer very well.
Old 04-07-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
That’s a target bullet, the m stands for match. Not designed to be used as a hunting bullet, doesn’t open up reliably. On the other hand an eldx (x stands for expanding), is an excellent hunting bullet, with only a slightly lower bc per comparable weight.
Do you have any personal knowledge of these bullets not working effectively on game?