Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-05-2012, 08:47 PM

Default Fishing trip to RD next year.. Advice?

Hey guys,
Im planning a trip to Red Deer next year to visit a buddy. Wanted to get in some serious water time. Ive read up quite a bit on the trout fishing and have decided to come out around mid to late June when theres still some hatches and the streams shouldnt be blown out.. Im mainly going to be targeting browns. Would this be a good time then?
Well Im out there I also wanted to try some things Ive never done.. Mainly Pike and possibly Lakers. Would this be a decent time of year to fly fish for either? I hate to ask for specific spots or lakes but if your willing to give some info feel free to pm me. Also any advice on tatics or flies I should use. Im also willing to drive a bit out of the Red Deer area if it gets me into better Laker or Pike fishing.
Thanks a lot guys! Im a BC boy and hate to say it but after a summer trip to the Bow and Oldman Albertas stole a spot in my heart lol
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 PM

June is typically runoff time in central alberta. But is also a pretty good time to be fishing green drakes to the stauffer creek browns. You definitely wont be the only one there though...

Early may or July is a better time frame for your streams. Caddis is usually a good bet, but the stones get kicking on some streams in july. Pike and lakers, you're going to probably want may/june. Dont know where you'd find lakers close to red deer though.

Imo... have your buddy meet you in calgary in july, and fish the golden stone hatch. But in reality you're really not that far from the bow if you're in red deer anyways.

If stillwaters are your thing, you can PM me, and we can talk. Somethings dont need to be said out loud.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 PM

If you want to try something different you should try the Prairie Tarpon (Goldeye/Mooneye) in the Red Deer River...here is a short video I made this year...let me know if your interested in trying for them...

http://youtu.be/duUK_harxsY

Pike 25
Walleye 5
Lake Whitefish 6
Suckers 1
Lake Trout 22
Tiger Trout 5
Rainbow Trout 26

20 days fished
18 days fished from my Hobie