Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM

Default Anyone Fly for Lakers?

Only way I can get lakers out of the Crow or Waterton is bait/jig. I thought perhaps late fall during th espawn might be a chance.... If a guy knew where they spawned.

I have flyfished for them a couple of times in the spring, but it was a half hearted attempt at best.

just thought I'd see if anyone did any serious work on this front.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 12-05-2012, 01:52 PM

I fly fish for them a lot in the spring from a few of the local lakes. Lots of fun.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 12-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Only way I can get lakers out of the Crow or Waterton is bait/jig. I thought perhaps late fall during th espawn might be a chance.... If a guy knew where they spawned.

I have flyfished for them a couple of times in the spring, but it was a half hearted attempt at best.

just thought I'd see if anyone did any serious work on this front.
If you have a boat, head to Minnewanka in the spring.

Or you can try Spray in the spring.

If you are in Calgary early season, or fall season, I can put you on a spot on the Bow R. It might be doable during the winter, just not sure about the river conditions...ice flow etc
Old 12-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Banned

Cool

My life time total for Lakers is 3 , one caught trolling hair too slow on the shushwap. The other two were caught on big streamers on the bow below the man made rapids. The one on the big lake went 10 lbs . Midget for Lakers.so I guess I could say all my Lakers were caught on the fly .
Old 12-05-2012, 03:50 PM

Minnewanka and Spray are definitely two of my favorites. I use a sinking fly line Rio Deep 7. Usually better in the early season but I've gotten lucky with smaller Lakers through the summer. As BeeGuy said you really need a boat to flyfish properly. I'm just starting to tie up my big flies for the summer.

Fishing Regulations
Old 12-05-2012, 04:35 PM

Only time I've done it was once up on Great Slave Lake. Nothing like watching two 15lb lakers swarming around the front of the boat chasing your fly for 30 seconds until one hits it. That is until you hook them and they go down to 20 feet of water and refuse to come off the bottom! Big white crystal woolly bugger worked for me.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
My life time total for Lakers is 3 , one caught trolling hair too slow on the shushwap. The other two were caught on big streamers on the bow below the man made rapids. The one on the big lake went 10 lbs . Midget for Lakers.so I guess I could say all my Lakers were caught on the fly .
What size class were they?

15.5", 20" or 22.5"?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:05 PM
jrs

I've had good luck fishing big white/blue goat hair streamers on a sink tip line on my 8 weight rod down south. They put up a great fight. Ive found fly fishing for them has been best in early to mid June when theyre in 10-15 feet of water. My strategy has been find where the suckers spawn/ or where the whitefish hang out (generally same spots), works for me.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Banned

Cool bow lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
What size class were they?

15.5", 20" or 22.5"?
Not 22"+, better than 20 " just . On a cone head buck tail I tied one of . My buddy caught one there also smaller like 15" ish
Old 12-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not 22"+, better than 20 " just . On a cone head buck tail I tied one of . My buddy caught one there also smaller like 15" ish
It's interesting that the lakers in the Bow fit a few size classes really closely.

The 3 in the 20" class were all actually, 20.5".

There is a 27" class as well that we have seen a few of, however, nothing between 22.5 and 27" so far.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:22 PM

Have had moderate success at Spray once the ice comes off, usually a sink tip with a clouser worked well for me.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
It's interesting that the lakers in the Bow fit a few size classes really closely.

The 3 in the 20" class were all actually, 20.5".

There is a 27" class as well that we have seen a few of, however, nothing between 22.5 and 27" so far.
Water event ?? Flood , high water at out flow of bears paw , glenmore right time of year ??
Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 PM

Managed a quite a few small Lakers from Bearspaw in the old days before it became a private pond for the rich.

Fishing Regulations
Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Managed a quite a few small Lakers from Bearspaw in the old days before it became a private pond for the rich.
Hope I'm not stirring a pot, what's the deal there. It's a public water right?? Like do you
Mean I can't launch my tinner there or ace hats won't let you fish on their lawn.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:04 PM

Spray lakes has been good to me from shore.

You need to get there when is is coming off. First week of June is my starting date, and I go from there depending on ice.

Black and white clousers with a 10 foot sink tip. If you have a Spey rod, you will get it out further. Cast as far a you can, quick strips in and wait for the tug.

J
Old 12-08-2012, 02:49 PM

I've done it with good success.
Small to medium lakers in Spring with suspended chironomids.
Small to medium lakers in Spring with trolled wooly buggers.
Medium to large lakers in spring/summer/fall with deceivers etc.
Small to medium lakers in late fall with suspended/retrieved nymphs.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Hope I'm not stirring a pot, what's the deal there. It's a public water right?? Like do you
Mean I can't launch my tinner there or ace hats won't let you fish on their lawn.
You can certainly launch your boat there... if you can find someone with private property that will let you launch. There was a public launch years ago that I used. I'm not aware of any public launch access any more. Unless someone has more info. When you could access the dam through Bearspaw Dam road which is now closed we had access to some nice ice fishing in winter.

Fishing Regulations
Old 12-08-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyJ View Post
Black and white clousers with a 10 foot sink tip. If you have a Spey rod, you will get it out further. Cast as far a you can, quick strips in and wait for the tug.
J
Not a bad Idea, plan to try my Spey rod on some of the lakes next season.

Fishing Regulations
Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
You can certainly launch your boat there... if you can find someone with private property that will let you launch. There was a public launch years ago that I used. I'm not aware of any public launch access any more. Unless someone has more info. When you could access the dam through Bearspaw Dam road which is now closed we had access to some nice ice fishing in winter.
?? This is a public water , yet one needs permission to cross private land to access the water. Something smell there . I guess the owners on water front have boats and refuse most access. Hmm going to have to do some research . Could you launch above the lake and motor down to the lake . Thank you for the info.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:34 AM

There is a boat launch that I found at Emerald Bay but the access is locked and posted posted with a No Trespassing sign. There are no parking signs and tow threats. Sign also said, "Under Video Surveillance". When I stopped there to check ti out I had a homeowner that told me to move on, which I did.

Fishing Regulations
Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Banned

There is the launch at the dam too but it is only for friends of Transalta.

How crooked is that?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:02 PM

Lorne

Perry poke works awesome with your Spey wading in still waters.

PM me in may and I'll take you to my spot.

Biggyj
Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyJ View Post
Lorne
Perry poke works awesome with your Spey wading in still waters.
PM me in may and I'll take you to my spot.
Biggyj
Sounds like a plan. Might even try one of my Bamboo Spey's, Love the overhead cast.

Fishing Regulations

Last edited by Lornce; 12-09-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 PM

Pulled a laker out of Minni on a muddler minnow once, Stump lake, out of a boat.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 AM

Default Rock Lake

I caught a couple of smaller ones trollling a chratruesse clouser on a sinking line with my canoe but my best success was with tiny chronomids below an indicator in 2 ft of water on a small point. I caught a dozen 2 pound lakers on my 4 wght right from shore, great fun.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Banned

I've had great luck with lakers trolling streamers on a sink tip back in NB,ASAP after ice-out and for the next month,and as mentioned in a previous post,in 10-15' of water trolling the shorelines in an "S" pattern....they often hit on the outside bend when the fly speeds up.Pretty much any traditional smelt patterns worked,3-4" bucktails and traditional landlock salmon tandems,but my faves were Renous Special and Magog Smelt.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Banned

Cool tip for stramers .

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
I've had great luck with lakers trolling streamers on a sink tip back in NB,ASAP after ice-out and for the next month,and as mentioned in a previous post,in 10-15' of water trolling the shorelines in an "S" pattern....they often hit on the outside bend when the fly speeds up.Pretty much any traditional smelt patterns worked,3-4" bucktails and traditional landlock salmon tandems,but my faves were Renous Special and Magog Smelt.
We put a med red and white bobber at the point where the line hits the water . You set your rod tip high , till the bobber starts to "bounce." with a little practice you can get it jumping like a side planer. This really get them smashing the natural burst movements of a small fish at speed. A partner is important to get the bobber off the line with fish on. One should also tune a streamer to insure it is not twisting your line when trolling.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
We put a med red and white bobber at the point where the line hits the water . You set your rod tip high , till the bobber starts to "bounce." with a little practice you can get it jumping like a side planer. This really get them smashing the natural burst movements of a small fish at speed. A partner is important to get the bobber off the line with fish on. One should also tune a streamer to insure it is not twisting your line when trolling.
Yea that sounds like a neat technique?When I troll straight lines instead of "S" turns,I keep my rod in my hand rather than the rod holder and work it alot,point the rod tip to the bow of boat and let it drop back so the fly is always speeding up,stopping,pausing,sinking...repeat.It seems to entice more strikes than just laying back with my feet up sucking on beer and fatties?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 PM

We fished for lake trout with white deceivers, and the red and yellow deceivers at our new fishing camp at Aylmer lake NWT this past August. Most of the fish caught where in the 10-15 foot range trolling, doing S curves. Man they hit hard in late August in the shallow water. We drift fished the Thanakoie narrows which is between Aylmer Lake and Clinton-Colden Lake we hammered them with the white deceivers any where below the any rappids or back water bays. Love fly fishing for them lake trout.