Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 AM

I'm with BBJ, I use a 3 foot section of 30 lb floro for an entire season. When it frays I cut a bit off and retie. I've caught many pike up to 32 lbs and haven't been bit off once in 3 years of fishing.
I also check it after every fish. Tough stuff that floro.

Tight lines everyone
Old 08-21-2013, 10:35 AM

I tried 20 lb. flurocarbon and 24 lb. braid and had both nipped off lickety split first fish. By the way, if you look at flurocarbon from under the water it is not invisible. Even 20 lb. looks like big rope.
Bjay
Old 08-21-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
TrophyPikeHunter is a fink.

He switched over to fluorocarbon when he saw an increase in my catch rates on those days when the pike tend to be a little finicky.

lol.

As he mentioned - I use 80lb fuoro leader material knotted (clinch or palomar with melted tip of the tag ends only ) and apply a drop of crazy glue for added insurance.

I have landed over 500 pike on my first leader - but it was finally getting knicked up so I tied up a couple more.

I toss and/or troll bigger stuff and it works great. I also tied up a few 50lb leaders when I'm chucking smaller stuff.

The fluoro allows you to grab the leader without of fear of getting cut up if the pike freaks out at the side of the boat.

95% of the the fish we land never leave the water, we just reach down and pull the hook out while he's still in the water. Easy on the fish and easy my hands.

I will not ever go back to steel leaders ............
Intreresting.. I have never used the fluorocarbon leader as I didn't know about it.

I will read up on making them and give them a shot next time.

I've always used the steel leaders and never had an issue. I'm up to trying new things though.

Thanks for the information.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:11 PM

Never use more than 15lb fluoro for pike, there is no need. drop it down to 8 lb for walleye. never have break offs unless u were trying to horse a fish in or incorrectly play the fish
Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
Never use more than 15lb fluoro for pike, there is no need. drop it down to 8 lb for walleye. never have break offs unless u were trying to horse a fish in or incorrectly play the fish
Your joking on the 15lb fluoro for pike right.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:24 PM

not at all.... never break off... catch many every season. dont like using heavy gear in Alberta.

catch most of my pike on 6-8lb line fishing for walleye. usually 3-4 a day. never lose one

only use 15lb when targeting them
Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
not at all.... never break off... catch many every season. dont like using heavy gear in Alberta.

catch most of my pike on 6-8lb line fishing for walleye. usually 3-4 a day. never lose one

What sized lures do you use?
Old 08-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure when I'm hunting for 20+lb pike, I'm gonna use something heavier than 15lb... That's just me though.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:

LOL I don't believe you can land a trophy pike fast enough using a 15lb floural leader,the problem is the warm top water temps,egzostion from water temps is a real problem from over playing fish from being to care full so you don't loose the fish,nor would I want to take the chance of loosing a trophy pike with a 15lb leader because I couldn't put enough pressure on her to bring her in without absolutely playing her out,I am a catch and release fisherman for trophys so time is of the essence in my world.
I grew up with to many story's about the one tha got away,no affence here but I've just seen with a bunch of 20lb Plus pike I've caught the abrasion on 40lb segare floural leader material that they leave to take any chances with 15lb
Old 08-21-2013, 01:27 PM

I have been using 44lb Frog Hair leaders for a few years and have never had one broken with fish up to 20lbs. Make sure you leave enough leader length to avoid a big fish inhaling your bait and leader or rolling up past the leader section.

Good Luck
Old 08-21-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
What is your technique for tying the 80lb? I had a terrible time trying to tie it. I gave up and used crimps.
I use the canoeman knot. Works well for heavy flouro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnsm0imaR0k

That being said I did have a VERY nice pike cut through my 80 lb (Flouro leader material) leader and swim away. Hence I mostly use titanium leaders now except when I feel the need to be more transparent, like slip bobber fishing.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by cube; 08-21-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:52 PM

I would suspect a few of the posters who have indicated they were using fluorocarbon as leaders and had failures because they were not using Fluorocarbon LEADER material. This material is specifically designed to be more cut and abrasion resistant and is not as flexible or supple as the fluorocarbon line.

This is NOT the same material, nor does it have the same properties.......... FYI

The leader stuff comes in larger diameter rolls with like 25 yards per spool and is close to $40 per roll.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I would suspect a few of the posters who have indicated they were using fluorocarbon as leaders and had failures because they were not using Fluorocarbon LEADER material. This material is specifically designed to be more cut and abrasion resistant and is not as flexible or supple as the fluorocarbon line.

This is NOT the same material, nor does it have the same properties.......... FYI

The leader stuff comes in larger diameter rolls with like 25 yards per spool and is close to $40 per roll.
I agree EZM. They are 2 different animals. That said, there isn't a lot of heavy fluoro fishing line around in the 40 pound and up so there actually are biteoffs or bad knots. Bad knots are in my opinion the most common problem in lost fish and tackle. However, them thar pike got some super sharp cutting tooths.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Perhaps catching some hammer-handles you can get away with that ....

I would suspect that a sharp serrated tooth from a good sized pike would cut your 15 lb fluorocarbon line like a pair of scissors despite your expertise in playing the fish correctly like a master angler.

Regular Fluorocarbon line is better than mono but a long ways off of having the properties of the specialized leader material (see last post).

I would suggest going to a Fluorocarbon LEADER of at least 40lbs-50lbs.

My guess is your luck will run out and your title as master angler will fall to statistical probability. At some point, one of these girls will slice you off. The bigger the fish, the bigger the teeth are (and more likely to cut you off).
Old 08-21-2013, 08:20 PM

As I ran into the resident flourocarbon leader guy at the Fishing Hole I had him help me select some swivels etc to start myself tieing them. Plus 25% of the leader material was nice as well.

I want to try them as I find the titanium leaders tend to "mark/cut" the fish up if they wrap themselves up in it. Hoping the 50lb flouro leader will reduce that.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
What is your technique for tying the 80lb? I had a terrible time trying to tie it. I gave up and used crimps.
I use an Albright Special to direct tie to my line.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/albright-special

Then i use a good old Improved Clinch Knot to tie the lure on. Only using 3-4wraps.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knot...d-clinch-knot/

Hope that helps, sorry it took so long to answer you.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:14 PM

And yes I use Seagar Flurocarbon Leader Material