Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2015, 07:45 AM

Default Intermediate Fly lines

I have used several different Intermediate fly lines over the years . I would appreciate some opinions on ones you have tried . I have used full and sink tip intermediate from Scientific Anglers . Now have one from Rio .

Air Flo had one I never got to try . Scientific Anglers has a new one also GPX Hover . Wondering if a change is necessary .

I use mine in Stillwater .
Old 03-05-2015, 09:58 AM

Rio "lake" clear intermediate seems to coil less than airflo or Sci anglers for me
Old 03-05-2015, 10:57 AM

I have an Airflo, slow intermediate. Slowest sinking line I could find, it truly is a slow sinker. So slow the wind can belly it for the first few minutes, but it's great for shallow weed fishing. Casting is only meh, not terrible and not great.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Banned

If a Type 1 Scientific Anglers is considered an intermediate line may I suggest that you use one for night fishing with the moon shining on the lake.

A silhouette pattern right on or below the surface as you stealth fully cruise along the shore of your favourite spot on a hot summer night brings about an element of excitement and surprise as something bites in the dark.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:00 PM

Smile

I have a couple reels with Rio's Aqalux lines on them. I use them for still water and have had some really good success.

The other one I have used is a Cortland Clear Camo. That was a very good line as well. I gave the reel and line away to a 10 year old boy who was using a dry line and having no luck. His dad was not fishing, but he was rowing his son around the lake. He had spent the better part of the morning rowing his son around trying to get him into fish. Dad didn't fish at all and had no idea what he was doing. I had the line on an older reel that I was thinking of replacing anyway. I talked to John (the dad) and asked if it was ok that I give his son a reel and some flies. Dad was thrilled. I told the kid to use one fly in particular that I was having some really good luck with. We were not staying at the same campsite but were down the lake a bit from them. My wife and I stopped in a few days later when we were leaving. The boy came over to me and my wife and told us he had caught 5 fish with that line and the flies that I gave to him. Was it the line? Was it the flies? I think probably a combination of both.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:37 PM

Stay away from the cheap Chinese ones.... I bought one, it floated

I have a Scientific anglers that I like, I want to try an Airflo though I love their dry lines.

Sink tips are nice for rivers but for lakes I find it makes it a bit difficult to detect bites and set hooks. I use a type 3 full sink more than any other line in a lake

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-11-2015, 07:17 PM

I have good luck with Rio camo or flux wet line.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:35 PM

I use rio aqualux and outbound lines, but I'd like to give airflo a try next time I purchase lines since they are more durable and "environmentally friendly to manufacture". Having said that, I do like the rio lines I own currently. I've used cortland and SA in the past and I wasn't a huge fan, but I try to be agnostic towards companies when it comes to choosing lines.