Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-24-2015, 04:51 PM

Default Upper Kananaskis

Anyone been up to upper kan lately? Possibly heading up in a few days with to see what i can find. Since dad has work and wont be able to come along with the boat, i will be limited to a float tube. Haven't been there in a very long time and am rather unfamiliar with the lake. If someone wouldn't mind answering a few questions i would really appreciate it. What kind of flys might be working this time of year? What depths should i bee looking at? Any general areas that might be worth throwing a line into? And any other info you are willing to share would be awesome.
Thanks.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:57 PM

Went there about 3 weeks ago...was a zoo. Retarded really. Parking lot was packed right out. Left pretty quick...too many people
Old 08-24-2015, 08:55 PM

If you go mid-week it will be tolerable for people. Don't even bother on weekends, you'll be lucky to find a parking spot.
It's up to you but you really don't need a boat or tube there. I've had great fun there many times from shore. On a nice calm day you can watch the Cutts and Bows (mostly Cutts)come up for your dry. You'll also see big Bulls cruising the shoreline if you're wanting to chuck streamers. Also seem to have better success there this time of year, late Aug-Sept.
Elk hair caddis work well, klinkhammers, attractor patterns.