Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2013, 09:25 AM

Default invisa swivels...

Was watching the fishing network today and saw this new product called the "invisa swivel."
Apparently it's made completely out of fluorocarbon so it's almost invisible.
Really cool idea to make your presentation that much more stealthy, but then again how much does a regular swivel "scare" fish?
http://www.aquateko.com/Aquateko_Inv...wivels_s/3.htm

Anybody use em before? I'm thinking it's probably not going to make a significant difference in terms of bites, but who knows...
Old 08-17-2013, 09:27 AM

I've wondered this as well, totally thought it was just a gimmick like most of the commercials on there lol.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:51 AM

The product has been on the shelf for a few years now. They are quite large and bulky compared to a regular swivel snap.

With break test rating ranging from 12lbs up to 55lbs they are simply not strong enough for any reasonable fishing application.

Considering the $4 per unit cost and the size - I can get a premium quality Berkley snap swivel, rated for 300lbs for half the cost.

I you want invisible connections - use a loop to tie your fluorocarbon leader directly to your lure and run it up 30" up to a swivel snap to your main line. Tying a loop each time you want to change out is a pain in the butt with cold hands, in a rocking boat and takes time.

My opinion is - simply no application for this expensive, weak, bulky connection.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:33 AM

What about finicky walleye?

edit: 4-6 lb leader or line, a 12 lb break strength for the swivel should be sufficient.

Neutrally buoyant too

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 08-17-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:34 AM

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but wasn't totally sure, thanks guys!
Old 08-17-2013, 10:53 AM

Use them all the time, and love them.
Never had one break.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:56 AM

edited my post above

Old 08-17-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
What about finicky walleye?

edit: 4-6 lb leader or line, a 12 lb break strength for the swivel should be sufficient.

Neutrally buoyant too
I would just tie a loop to my jig or lure with 6-8lb flouroclear and run it up 5-6 feet to my main line - there you can connect with anything you like. Ussually 5-6 feet up the rod is plenty far away from your presentation.

however - I still have a ultra light set up with some 6lb vanish for those super clear water, super shy walleyes and trout.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I would just tie a loop to my jig or lure with 6-8lb flouroclear and run it up 5-6 feet to my main line - there you can connect with anything you like. Ussually 5-6 feet up the rod is plenty far away from your presentation.

however - I still have a ultra light set up with some 6lb vanish for those super clear water, super shy walleyes and trout.
But your missing the swivel, the key ingredient.

You are thinking snap not swivel.

And I am thinking rigging(lindy) not jigging.

If you are going with FC why not take it a step further

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 08-18-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:33 AM
Banned

Cool

Neat idea , I prefer the smallest conventional swivels I have off shore sz16 it takes 30 lb power pro to break one,they are less than 1/4 inch long,for a leader aplication 24-30" from a lure its good as invisible for me and the fish.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:33 AM

I actually just rechecked the website and realized that the unit price is only like 1.25 per swivel, it's five bucks for a pack of four I think the website said..
I've got way to much fishing stuff already for this year, but maybe if they make there way into basspro or something I might have to give them a shot....
Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 AM

I picked up a combo pack that had a few of each sizes in it to use this year. I liked them, and I'm going to continue using them for things like Lindy rigging and such. I even took a duo lock snap and put it on one to make a snap swivel out of it to try on a spinner rig to see how they did with line twist. Worked fine, a bit of a pain getting the duo lock on, but it worked. You can flex them back and forth quite a bit, and I haven't been able to break one yet. They seem like they would, but they are surprisingly strong...
Old 08-18-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
I picked up a combo pack that had a few of each sizes in it to use this year. I liked them, and I'm going to continue using them for things like Lindy rigging and such. I even took a duo lock snap and put it on one to make a snap swivel out of it to try on a spinner rig to see how they did with line twist. Worked fine, a bit of a pain getting the duo lock on, but it worked. You can flex them back and forth quite a bit, and I haven't been able to break one yet. They seem like they would, but they are surprisingly strong...
Nice to here from someone else who has actually used them!

Old 08-18-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
cool, thanks for the input!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:18 PM

I used the 12 pound swivel the last couple weeks for bass and trout in BC. They worked just fine for me.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:48 AM

I use the very small metal swivels, I'm not sure on the size, but I think they're rated for around 12-16 lb. I've never worried about the swivel breaking or being the weak point in my setup. The 6 or 8 lb leader is going to break long before a metal swivel.

Those definitely might be worth a try. I can't see using one for rigging, as the weight is right at the swivel most of the time anyway and visibility of the swivel isn't a big issue, but they might be a really slick way to tie the Powerpro main line to the fluoro leader. I generally use a blood knot, but adding the swivel would help with line twist and still be largely invisible. It would just be a question of how large they are when they get to the guides on the rod.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:11 PM

I like to use short leaders to start and lengthen as needed. Bobber (uni) knot and bead. Neutrally buoyant swivel is better. Lots of people fish with long leaders(most of the time not needed). With this setup I can go from 1-10' easily.

Do you have to have it?
no

But then, I have caught some very large walleye on straight superline.
No FC no mono.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:21 AM

I use them when connecting a mono or flouro mainline to a "shorter" (less than 3 feet) flouro leader in still fishing applications (ie. jigging, tip ups etc). Have never had one fail but can't say that I have caught more or bigger fish for the extra expense. Just thought that if you already paid extra for invisible line and leader it would only make sense to finish it off with a low visibility swivel.

I don't use them for connecting to braided main lines or lindy rigs as the line or weight is already visible so I don't think they would be worth the extra expense in those situations, for those situations if I feel I might need less visibility I use a modified Albright knot or a regular swivel to connect the two lines and use a much longer flouro leader.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 AM

interesting, thanks for all the input guys. Might be worth picking up a few in the future to try for some different applications..
Old 08-22-2013, 05:13 PM

stopped in at the fishing hole today, ended up picking up some invisa swivels as well as a few other things, also stopped and looked at the HDS 7 gen 2 touch that some of you may remember that I was thinking of purchasing, but I think i'm going to end up buying it next year.
Anyway i'll try them out and let you all know how they work