Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2008, 08:22 PM

Default 08/09 NHL Thread.

Well it is that time again so I thought I would start this thread.

Good luck to everyone's teams this year!

Let the games Begin
Old 09-24-2008, 08:26 PM

I was wondering when you would start this one again. good luck this year cause them flames are going to need it

I know the oil's a shoe in this year if we stay healthy
Old 09-24-2008, 08:37 PM

Let the Games N Wars between N & S begin.......
Old 09-24-2008, 08:57 PM

I cant wait until the Bertuzzi experiment blows up in Keenans face...oh please please please let it blow up........
Old 09-24-2008, 09:13 PM

Well its pre-season and hope springs eternal for most teams and their fans. I am looking very forward to seeing my Oilers, a lot of changes made. I think many upgrades have been made. I am nervous to see how things work out at the goalie position. If Garon can play like last year I like thier chances of being in a play-off spot.

Let the games begin!!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:29 PM

Thanks BB416 for once again giving us a playground!

It's gonna be a great season. Vancouver is going to suck, toronto is going to suck, and the 'Battle of Alberta' could be the best its been in many many years.

Of course the wings will repeat, but let the games begin.

Tree

PS Crosby is 100%. My little bro worked some of the physio with him this summer.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:44 PM

Let the games begin. Watched tonight's game tonight. Some good plays and some boneheaded plays to cancell them out. typical pre-season, very sloppy. Keetley looked great though! Looking forward to big bert laying out hemsky while he puckhandles away to never-shoot-land.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:46 PM

watching the oilers over time right now...can't wait for regular season to start.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
I cant wait until the Bertuzzi experiment blows up in Keenans face...oh please please please let it blow up........
For the price of bert its a steal, if he stays healthy im sure he will have a good year. Sure gives iggy alot more room !!!
Im a Canucks fan and its lookin like it could be a tough year. Lots of good young talent but it could take some time before that pans out. Defence is lookin good and you cant go wrong with Luongo. Could use a top forward after loosing nazy, the twins turn off come playoff time or when the games are a must win to make the playoffs (last year) How about those leafs even there own fans are saying thay should through in the towel in order to pick up a top draft pick next year I know its going to be a transition year for them but it should be fun to watch
Old 09-24-2008, 10:01 PM

Default Sens Will Hoist Stanley!

Sens will cruise and take the Wings out in 6 in the Final,I Guarantee it!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:25 PM

Grizz man I thought the motto in BC was dont get high from your own supply....the SENS?? seriously????
Old 09-24-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck0039 View Post
I was wondering when you would start this one again. good luck this year cause them flames are going to need it

I know the oil's a shoe in this year if we stay healthy

Lay off the paint chips Chuck
Old 09-24-2008, 10:59 PM

Edmonton looks to have a strong team on paper as long as mac T keeps pilonason on the bench and garon healthy we will be a top contender. As for the comment about Bertuzzi laying Hemsky into the boards well souray will pancake Bertuzzi , Would hate to see Bertuzzi loose his last tooth.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:10 PM

Lord please give me the patience to deal with kanon this NHL season......

amen
Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 PM

Tree
Old 09-24-2008, 11:58 PM

Don'tcha worry BB I will use simple words so you understand my posts. BTW Slave is in my sales Territory as I have switched jobs, I will be sure to run you over......'er say hi to you if I see you in town.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:26 AM

Heartbreaking news.................

Former Oiler goalie, Jussi Markkanen's 4 year old son was killed in a terrible accident in Moscow. Little Olli was playing with his brother, when he somehow crashed through the window of the family's 5th floor appartment and plunged to his death. I can't even begin to imagine............

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. God bless.

Tree

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...9-f5cea89f5a66
Old 09-25-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Heartbreaking news.................

Former Oiler goalie, Jussi Markkanen's 4 year old son was killed in a terrible accident in Moscow. Little Olli was playing with his brother, when he somehow crashed through the window of the family's 5th floor appartment and plunged to his death. I can't even begin to imagine............

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. God bless.

Tree

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...9-f5cea89f5a66
Yeah that happened 2 or 3 days ago its a really sad story.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:54 AM

Now we all know who is going to be the best Canadian team now don't we?

The Habs are going to kick butt.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 AM

Whoever said the Sens will beat the Wings in 6 in the finals...I think you might be about 3 years behind the rest of us. The Sens have bigger problems than you think...No tough guy...Neil is getting old. They only have one true scorer...Heatley. Alfi is not the leader they need. They took a big blow on defense by losing Mezaros and Redden. And I don't think Gerber is they guy they need in net. Spezza is a man with the brain of a kid. The only Canadian team that has a real chance of doing any damage in the league this year is Montreal. If Price can hold the fort in net...Carbonneau and Gainey will looked upon as gods in Montreal. Toronto...they resemble the Titanic...as soon as they hit ice they sink. I think both Flames and Oilers are definelty play off contenders. Adding Bertuzzi to the line up gives a lot of grit and it will give Iginla more room on the ice to do what he does best. Vancouver hmm...what to say. Luongo better be ready to be peppered with shots....memories of his days with the Panthers.
KH.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:20 PM

I think you can judge/predict teams to play within a certain range (narrower or wider), but there are always ups and downs, and it's pretty nervy to confidently predict finishes.

Flames look like an OK team. Should win more than they lose, make playoffs, might even concievably win division if the stars align, would be very surprised to see them past round two of playoffs. It could happen.... and I could get a B&C buck too.

Oiler's band of possibilities is wider (up and down), more of a crap shoot. Made good offseason improvements, on paper. But could still miss playoffs, could get through a round or two, and that would be considered a huge success. Can't see them as cup contenders either. Less past evidence to go on than Calgary... More upside AND more downside. And I'm an Oiler fan.

So here is my quandry... If I had to bet REAL money.... team more likely to make playoffs: Flames. Team more likely to win Cup: Oilers (Cause if they make playoffs it's likely with a big improvement). Slow and steady and decent versus a total crap-shoot.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:12 PM

"Go Canucks Go"
Old 09-26-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtohunting View Post
"Go Canucks Go"
Oh yeah, they're going.... right to the bottom.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtohunting View Post
"Go Canucks Go"
who?? this is a hockey thread.....
Old 09-26-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Hirsch View Post
Whoever said the Sens will beat the Wings in 6 in the finals...I think you might be about 3 years behind the rest of us. The Sens have bigger problems than you think...No tough guy...Neil is getting old. They only have one true scorer...Heatley. Alfi is not the leader they need. They took a big blow on defense by losing Mezaros and Redden. And I don't think Gerber is they guy they need in net. Spezza is a man with the brain of a kid. The only Canadian team that has a real chance of doing any damage in the league this year is Montreal. If Price can hold the fort in net...Carbonneau and Gainey will looked upon as gods in Montreal. Toronto...they resemble the Titanic...as soon as they hit ice they sink. I think both Flames and Oilers are definelty play off contenders. Adding Bertuzzi to the line up gives a lot of grit and it will give Iginla more room on the ice to do what he does best. Vancouver hmm...what to say. Luongo better be ready to be peppered with shots....memories of his days with the Panthers.
KH.
I'm a lifelong Sens fan(thier life not mine), some of what you speak of is true, some is not. The "loss" of Redden is a joke, last year he was the teams 5th best defenseman and Mezaros is a joke. He is now the most overrpaid player in the league. Neil issue is true, Spezza may grow up one day, maybe not. Heatley is a great player and despite what you believe Alfie is the rock of htat team and would be on just about any team.

Montreal looks pretty good, I was at the Oiler's game the other night, Eric Cole and Souray looked very good. I hope the Bertuzzi thing blows up in everyone's face in Calgary.

Vancouver and Toronto don't belong in the disucssion.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:07 PM

I don't understand how people are hoping the bertuzzi thing will "blow up". They signed him for CHEAP. under 2mil I believe. At that with todays rates, if he gets 40-50 points it will be a good signing. Many will say it is a failure unless he gets 75+ points. if he gets 65 then WOW what a bargain. In any case, he will take a lot of attention from iggy, camilleri, and lombardi. my $.02
Old 09-26-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
I don't understand how people are hoping the bertuzzi thing will "blow up". They signed him for CHEAP.
I think the criticism is of the guy, not the deal. I'd say Sutter made a good hockey deal. Don't lose much if Bert doesn't pan out. It's more people who still have a bitter taste about the Moore incident. I am one of them I guess. Purposedly attacked a guy from behind in a way not related to the play at all, seriously injured him, ended his career, and got a suspension during a strike... I can only hope the lawsuit (still going, isn't it?) bankrupts him. He's had no penalty of any weight so far. There, I'm done. :-)
Old 09-26-2008, 01:43 PM

i think it is a safe deal...if it is the same old bert that hasn't shown up in any sense for the last few years...sutter is not really out anything...but if for some reason he regains some of his form from days gone by..well then you have a very cheap very dominant power forward to make room for your star
Old 09-26-2008, 04:59 PM

I am originally from BC and as such am a die-hard Canuck fan. It is a horrible condition to have, somewhat similar to an STD that can't be cured. A burning pain that returns every year and there is no over-the-counter cream to make it feel better.

They are predicted to be horrible this year and I wouldn't have it any other way. I understand, especially after the disgusting crash at the end of last season, how so many reporters and fans could perceive them as being so weak but I'm actually pretty happy with what they have this year. They won the NW 2 years ago (albeit with the most boring hockey imaginable) and on paper they are just as good now with plenty of cap space if any deals present themselves. If their D stay healthy and Luongo plays to his potential, I predict they will surprise some people and make the playoffs.

Anyway, thanks for starting the thread BB. Definitely looking forward to the razzing that will take place in this thread over the coming months. You can expect me to show up on here after most of the Canuck wins, which means you might not hear from me much.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 PM

Watched the Habs Sens tonight. Sens looked weak. And this team was playing all the guns except Alfie and Gerber.... I know its still pre-season but from what I could tell the team the Sens had dressed looked very similar to the names I saw last year on the jerseys, even the commentator said that this Sens team is basically already set and only one or two more cuts to make....Sorry Sens fans.
KH