Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2008, 11:10 AM

Took the girls to the Flames/Panthers game last night. I know it's only preseason, but man the Flames looked good! 8-2 final score. They have more speed and tenacity than in the last two years. Iginla and Regher didn't even play. Big Bert looked great and the crowd loves him. Lombardi looks very confident and was flying, 3 assists. If they play with this much effort and heart every night, they will do very well.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:45 AM

bert and cammilerri showed some awesome chemistry. hope it continues. bert had some nice hands on that breakaway too.

pssssst.... that is the sound of the bertuzzi deal "blowing up"
Old 09-27-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck0039 View Post
I was wondering when you would start this one again. good luck this year cause them flames are going to need it

I know the oil's a shoe in this year if we stay healthy
Already makin' excuses for the whiners!
Old 09-27-2008, 10:21 PM

Well.....had a great fantasy draft hocky pool tonight.....I drew the #1 spot for all three choices...goalie, defense, and forward....

I made a mistake and for some reason went with M.E. Fleury for my goalie top choice...I shoulda just played it safe and went with Nabokov.

Did snag Ovetchkin and Lidstrom as my other 2 first round choices.....so hopefully that made up for it!!
Old 09-28-2008, 09:27 PM

The Canucks are now 4-0 in the pre-season and since we all know how well the pre-season reflects what will happen in the regular season, it looks like they will go undefeated this year

Actually, it may be a while before the canuckle-heads go on a run again so I figured I'd better take full advantage of this.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:39 PM

I actually feel bad for Vancouver. There's a good chance that their goaltender will be in their top 5 scoring leaders. Ughhh.

Tree
Old 09-29-2008, 08:36 AM

Good one tree. Keep 'er comin - I've heard them all .
Old 09-29-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I think the criticism is of the guy, not the deal. I'd say Sutter made a good hockey deal. Don't lose much if Bert doesn't pan out. It's more people who still have a bitter taste about the Moore incident. I am one of them I guess. Purposedly attacked a guy from behind in a way not related to the play at all, seriously injured him, ended his career, and got a suspension during a strike... I can only hope the lawsuit (still going, isn't it?) bankrupts him. He's had no penalty of any weight so far. There, I'm done. :-)
The only bitter taste is in oiler fans mouths---Had he been signed up north all would have been forgiven---oiler fans are good at forgiving players that make big mistakes just ask their gm
Old 09-29-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
The only bitter taste is in oiler fans mouths---Had he been signed up north all would have been forgiven---oiler fans are good at forgiving players that make big mistakes just ask their gm
I didn't know Steve Tambellini had such a forgiving history.

I guess you are right. Everyone in Calgary loves the Bert.... must be out-of-towners phoning the Fan. True Flames fans LOVE guys who jump and cripple unsuspecting players.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:22 PM

as a die hard oilers fan..it pains me to say this...but....if all things go right for the flames..they could be a hot(pun intended) team this year. cammi is a guy that has a ton of potential and can light it up...or sink back on the bench and do nothing. if kipper can come out and play in the first quarter of the season it will set them up nicely. here's hoping for an opening run of 0-17 hahaha
Old 09-29-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
if kipper can come out and play in the first quarter of the season it will set them up nicely.
He should be able to. I hear he had a REALLY good season a few years ago, before he signed his contract.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:29 PM

haha....well who knows..the last few seasons he has been an even slower starter than usual..which bothers me none!!
Old 09-29-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
haha....well who knows..the last few seasons he has been an even slower starter than usual..which bothers me none!!
I think it's a little more than just his starts. I just looked up last year's goalie stas... holy crap! Kipper was 28th in the league in Goals Against, 30th in Save Percentage, 27th in Shut Outs. Basically almost every other team had a better goalie than him. He was third in games won, because they played him nearly every game, but his percentage of games won was lower than tons of goalies. Certainly didn't earn that huge salary last year.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_and_fish View Post
I am originally from BC and as such am a die-hard Canuck fan.
Ya, I am in the same boat as you, I've had a canucks jersey hanging in my closet, just waiting for the day.

But I would still put my money on them before those other western canada teams.

H&F- What part of BC you from?

Addict
Old 09-29-2008, 03:36 PM

Central interior. I grew up in a little town called Likely, about 100 km east of Willams Lake. How about you?
Old 09-29-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtohunting View Post
Ya, I am in the same boat as you, I've had a canucks jersey hanging in my closet, just waiting for the day.

But I would still put my money on them before those other western canada teams.

H&F- What part of BC you from?

Addict
Put your money on them... as in you would be really willing to bet money they will end up higher in the standings than either Edmonton or Calgary? Anyone else want in on this bet??????? I hate to take your money, but... If someone trustworthy here will hold the bets, I'm in!
Old 09-29-2008, 04:08 PM

Canucks did beat the Oil with the Oil's top 2 lines in the lineup and a rookie canucks squad with schneider in net...just thought I'd point that out. We actually have some real nice looking young guys on the up and coming. Looking forward to the season...ya never know how the Nucks might surprise you guys!
Old 09-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Canucks did beat the Oil with the Oil's top 2 lines in the lineup and a rookie canucks squad with schneider in net...just thought I'd point that out. We actually have some real nice looking young guys on the up and coming. Looking forward to the season...ya never know how the Nucks might surprise you guys!

.............thats whats nice about when game 1 of the regular season comes around. Every team has the same point standings and every fan of every team can be optimistic and hopeful. We will see what happens when game 20 and 30 roll around and where the Canucks sit then.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Put your money on them... as in you would be really willing to bet money they will end up higher in the standings than either Edmonton or Calgary? Anyone else want in on this bet??????? I hate to take your money, but... If someone trustworthy here will hold the bets, I'm in!

Look what you started addictedtohunting.

I never bet money on my team; primarily because I'm a Canucks fan and if I had bet on them for the past couple decades then I'd probably be in financial ruin.

In addition, betting money on this site is probably frowned upon but I'm sure we could arrange some other sort of wager to make it interesting. Maybe a little something to add to the humiliation of your team finishing behind the other two Western Canadian teams. I'm thinking of something in the avatar or sig on this forum. If people are interested then we'll work out the details before anyone agrees. And they'll be no backing out half way through the season.

Ryan
Old 09-29-2008, 04:52 PM

I lost a bet on the old board and had to fly this for the playoffs.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I didn't know Steve Tambellini had such a forgiving history.

I guess you are right. Everyone in Calgary loves the Bert.... must be out-of-towners phoning the Fan. True Flames fans LOVE guys who jump and cripple unsuspecting players.
I guess you are right, driving drunk and killing a young girl deserves forgiveness but crippling another player does not----the law has dealt with them --
Old 09-29-2008, 05:44 PM

I guess in your classless way you are referencing MacT's vehicular manslaughter conviction which he dealt with and dealt with the consequences. Bert is denying wrong doing and sayn he was just following the coaches orders. Who do you think is the stand up guy?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
I guess in your classless way you are referencing MacT's vehicular manslaughter conviction which he dealt with and dealt with the consequences. Bert is denying wrong doing and sayn he was just following the coaches orders. Who do you think is the stand up guy?
CONSEQUENCES hello he killed a young person while he was drunk, then got a slap on the rist which should have been life in prision. Now he has a great job and a good life go figure. Bad hits happen always have its a heated game. What career did bert destroy not only was moore a lousy player, Colorado had no intentions in resigning him. His settlement is likely more then he would have ever made playing hockey. I think he knew this even after the doc's gave him full clearence to start training again his headaches would return. money money money
Old 09-29-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
CONSEQUENCES hello he killed a young person while he was drunk, then got a slap on the rist which should have been life in prision. Now he has a great job and a good life go figure. Bad hits happen always have its a heated game. What career did bert destroy not only was moore a lousy player, Colorado had no intentions in resigning him. His settlement is likely more then he would have ever made playing hockey. I think he knew this even after the doc's gave him full clearence to start training again his headaches would return. money money money

so that makes it ok???
Old 09-29-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Who do I think is the stand up guy?-----I'll have to take some classes to figure that one out.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
so that makes it ok???
Not ok but I've seen far worse cheap shots with less consequences. Overall the outcome was bad its unfortunate moore fractured his neck. I dont think it was that bad It wasent a bad break no halo needed to be drilled in his skull all he needed was a neck brace for 8 weeks.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:16 PM

MY point is both actions had bad consequences, regardless that you may think MacT got off with a slap on the wrist, he went through the legal process and dealt with the results. Bert has not to this day. MacT plead guilty and served his time. He acknowledged the tragic mistake. When will Bertuzzi? Enjoy your classes Jorg......
Old 09-29-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
MY point is both actions had bad consequences, regardless that you may think MacT got off with a slap on the wrist, he went through the legal process and dealt with the results. Bert has not to this day. Enjoy your classes Jorg......
Go Oilers GO----ha ha
Old 09-29-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
Go Oilers GO----ha ha
First thing you have said that I agree with.

GO Oilers GO
Old 09-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Banned

Well you boys can say what you wish about Bert...
I dont think for one second he wanted to put Moore out of hockey for life. I think he meant to lay a HUGE beating on the poor fellow. What happened was very unfortunate.

But now he is in Calgary.. I think it was a smart Biz decsion made by a smart team. I will cheer for him and for the flames.

Jamie