Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
Is that your left brain fighting with your right brain?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
In this case, she did. It should have been voted on.

I think you don't give the public enough credibility to do the right thing. You clearly think that the government should dictate to the public right from wrong, and you don't seem to have any ability to see things from a different point of view. This is why it is so difficult to have a reasonable discussion with people like you.

I don't think had this law passed that there would have been a big influx of segregation issues. Most people have grown accustomed to be tolerant. What I saw this law doing, and based on discussions with my parents who are currently in Arizona, this law was more about giving people who have religious views back some rights to not be forced to do something that violates their moral convictions.
Some things happen over time and some people have to be dragged kicking and screaming along, do you believe people in the south in 1860 would have voted for blacks to be equal citizens ? How about men giving women equal rights in this country in 1910 ? The tyranny is the majority is wrong.

If the people in Arizona are upset by what the governor has done they can vote her out next time.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is that your left brain fighting with your right brain?
Sorry if I think things out and don't automatically go along with my established political views.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, it is because the gay couple had an agenda to push.
Probably right!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think a Muslim baker should be permitted to refuse to bake a cake for a christening as much as a christian baker has a right to refuse to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

And I don't see why the government should get involved and force either baker to bake a cake for a person or group that violates their moral convictions.
This is the same government who forces people to serve in the military at times, makes people pay taxes under punishment of jail time. Do you really think they are going to exclude bakers ?.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Probably right!
Why it started is really irrelevant, that's a red herring.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I suppose it depends on which side of the fence you sit.
Although I do not agree, I have respect for those on both sides of the fence. Those who sit on the fence, not so much.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think a Muslim baker should be permitted to refuse to bake a cake for a christening as much as a christian baker has a right to refuse to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

And I don't see why the government should get involved and force either baker to bake a cake for a person or group that violates their moral convictions.
I believe you.
I also believe that if the situation was reversed.... you would find yourself on the wrong side of the vast majority of those who are on your side in this right now.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Can you show that it is under religious grounds? Nope, so then he violates the law.

But homosexuality is prohibited by many religions, and as such he would have grounds.
So should a fanatical devote Muslim be allowed to not provide essential services to a Christian because in his religion he can't help infidels?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Although I do not agree, I have respect for those on both sides of the fence. Those who sit on the fence, not so much.
Incase anybody is wondering I will 99% of the time support a bill that brings people together and 99% of the time not support a bill that divides people.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
So should a fanatical devote Muslim be allowed to not provide essential services to a Christian because in his religion he can't help infidels?
Baking cake.... not essential

Medical attention...essentail
Old 02-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
The law wasn't about wholly excluding anything. Someone stated earlier about a Muslim butcher who refused to butcher a pig. I believe that to be a good example to use. I believe a muslin butcher should be able to refuse anything he wants but he shouldn't have different rules for different groups. If he refuses for Christians and agrees for hindu's that's where I would disagree. Picking and choosing based on religious beliefs will divide people.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Some things happen over time and some people have to be dragged kicking and screaming along, do you believe people in the south in 1860 would have voted for blacks to be equal citizens ? How about men giving women equal rights in this country in 1910 ? The tyranny is the majority is wrong.

If the people in Arizona are upset by what the governor has done they can vote her out next time.
You don't know much about history do you?

Men didn't even have the vote in 1910 unless they were property owners.

Furthermore, if you were Native or of Asianic background, you could not vote either regardless of property ownership.

In WW1, only serving men who previously could not vote were given the vote, as well as women who had direct serving relatives could vote.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
The law wasn't about wholly excluding anything. Someone stated earlier about a Muslim butcher who refused to butcher a pig. I believe that to be a good example to use. I believe a muslin butcher should be able to refuse anything he wants but he shouldn't have different rules for different groups. If he refuses for Christians and agrees for hindu's that's where I would disagree. Picking and choosing based on religious beliefs will divide people.
Not a good example! A devout Muslim would have only one rule with respect to pigs. No different rule for different groups.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is the same government who forces people to serve in the military at times, makes people pay taxes under punishment of jail time. Do you really think they are going to exclude bakers ?.
This is not even worthy of a proper reply.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
You don't know much about history do you?

Men didn't even have the vote in 1910 unless they were property owners.

Furthermore, if you were Native or of Asianic background, you could not vote either regardless of property ownership.

In WW1, only serving men who previously could not vote were given the vote, as well as women who had direct serving relatives could vote.
All of those things changed because they were wrong. They didn't go to a vote either because they probably would have lost.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
I believe you.
I also believe that if the situation was reversed.... you would find yourself on the wrong side of the vast majority of those who are on your side in this right now.
If the situation was reversed, I doubt I would have this opinion.

And for the record, I don't care if a person is gay or not. But I do understand some people's religious opinion, and that is what I think needs to be respected.

Big issue is how to protect both groups without harming the other.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
All of those things changed because they were wrong. They didn't go to a vote either because they probably would have lost.
You really should do some research on the subject. You might learn something.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is not even worthy of a proper reply.
You wonder why the government has the power to force a baker bake a cake when the government has the power to force people to go to war, or pay up to 40% of their wages to them or even kill people under the death penalty. I say a cake baking is pretty minor compared to a machine gun.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Why not? It could very well be.

You are talking about this, but it could also include many other scenarios.
You are fooling yourself if you think it is about any other scenario.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Christians are not infidels according to Muslims, nor are Jews. However Buddhists are.

In fact the Qur'an speaks about the bible, Christianity, and the various main characters of both the new and old testament, and they are portrayed in a good light.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
You really should do some research on the subject. You might learn something.
You might want to stop dismissing someone's opinion when it doesn't agree with yours.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whammy View Post
You are fooling yourself if you think it is about any other scenario.
Perhaps you are the one who is misunderstanding the issue. The law will be interpreted differently by people depending on their needs at the time.

And I am not saying I agree with the law, I am saying I understand why some think there is a need.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
And before the laws changed the majorities were in the right.
You have a strange set of convictions.
The majority populous rules in your mindset. Conformity rules eh?
That sure doesn't say much for individualism which is what our free society is truly based on.
Your a glutton for punishment. ...weebles wobble but they don't fall down.

Last edited by Boots270; 02-27-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots270 View Post
And before the laws changed the majorities were in the right.
You have a strange set of convictions.
The majority populous rules in your mindset. Conformity rules eh?
That sure doesn't say much for individualism which is what our free society is truly based on.
The majority of men wanted women to vote ? Southerners wanted blacks free ? That's shows in all the black codes and Jim Crow laws and segregation that happened after the war was over, not to mention the firehouses and the kkk and forced integration of the schools 100 years later.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
You might want to stop dismissing someone's opinion when it doesn't agree with yours.
Perhaps you want to read up on history before you accuse me of dismissing your opinion on some things. I can back up what I say about history, and you claim it is a difference of opinion. Not so, it is a difference of fact.

History is not about opinion, it is about facts of history. Fact one is that even many men didn't have the right to vote at the turn of the last century, and in fact women got the vote before many other groups of men did.

For example, Chinese, Indians (not natives), Dukobors, and Mennonites were denied the vote unless they served in the military until 1947.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
The majority of men wanted women to vote ? Southerners wanted blacks free ? That's shows in all the black codes and Jim Crow laws and segregation that happened after the war was over, not to mention the firehouses and the kkk and forced integration of the schools 100 years later.
So says the story books you read.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots270 View Post
So says the story books you read.
History books you mean.

You claimed it so you back it up. I want to see a poll from 1859 that's says white people wanted blacks free and the government just did the will of the people.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Perhaps you want to read up on history before you accuse me of dismissing your opinion on some things. I can back up what I say about history, and you claim it is a difference of opinion. Not so, it is a difference of fact.

History is not about opinion, it is about facts of history. Fact one is that even many men didn't have the right to vote at the turn of the last century, and in fact women got the vote before many other groups of men did.

For example, Chinese, Indians (not natives), Dukobors, and Mennonites were denied the vote unless they served in the military until 1947.
Sure is never say they didn't. I said if given a vote in 1910 women would not have been given the vote. Fact is sometimes government has to force things to happen popular majority or not.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you are the one who is misunderstanding the issue. The law will be interpreted differently by people depending on their needs at the time.

And I am not saying I agree with the law, I am saying I understand why some think there is a need.
I'm not misunderstanding it. It's very clear to almost everyone what the issue is.
Closed Thread