Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM

i did a little better than a gram of gold in a day with my highbanker on the bank of sir wilfred laurier park.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0308.jpg (38.2 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0313.jpg (55.7 KB, 318 views)
Old 05-18-2012, 07:14 AM

Smile Nahanni

If you go for a canoe trip to the North, there is gold in the Nahanni, we were able to "sift" the black sand in our hands and find the flour. Not very efficient but the gold is still there.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 AM

So where can I buy a pan? This sounds like a blast haha can u sell this flour gold?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:25 PM

The fishing hole, cabelas, a lot of out doors places sell them.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 PM

Amazon sells a garret kit with book,sniffer, vial classifier and two garret pans for $50.00 shipped to your door.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 PM

2 Edmonton area shops have all you need.
Bedrock supply Edmonton and River Gold in Sherwood park.

I got 5 grams total last year in my first crack at this hobby.
2 grams local, a gram panning in BC and a few grams from cons mail order.

TBark
Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 PM

Default rules and regs?

Ive started panning last year and ave building my collection of small equipment to help be more efficient. I have recently purchased a sluice box and am wanting to use mechanical means along the river (Water pump and generator) What type of permit do I need and are there restrictions as to what time of year a person can do such. Where would I get a permit even? Thanks for any help
Old 05-05-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhewko View Post
Ive started panning last year and ave building my collection of small equipment to help be more efficient. I have recently purchased a sluice box and am wanting to use mechanical means along the river (Water pump and generator) What type of permit do I need and are there restrictions as to what time of year a person can do such. Where would I get a permit even? Thanks for any help
Yes you need a permit to use a sluice.

http://www.energy.alberta.ca/minerals/1063.asp
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhewko View Post

This should help. At the bottom of the information page are the links you need.

http://www.energy.alberta.ca/minerals/1063.asp
Old 05-06-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsr View Post
i did a little better than a gram of gold in a day with my highbanker on the bank of sir wilfred laurier park.
Have you ever tried panning for Gold near the bridge in Devon? I seen guys there with the whole set up. Running water and all.
I should give panning for gold a try.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:45 PM

hi, if a guy found a few grams, where would you sell it?
Old 05-07-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfriend View Post
hi, if a guy found a few grams, where would you sell it?
Any gold buyer. Without assaying it the buyers will try to pay lowest value possible. The NSR gold is very fine so it is very pure. Usually in the 900 fine class, with .999 being pure 24 Kt.. There is also platinum in the NSR too so it is a good reason to assay any larger amounts. There might be 1 ounce of platinum for every so many ounces of gold. Jewelers, or dentists might be interested buyers too.

Save the gold for a new set of teeth in the future.

Any quantity over an ounce and a person is supposed to pay a royalty to the govt.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:16 AM

So when a guy is wondering river banks,what or where do you look for to stop and pan?Besides those mentioned already.Do you just pick a spot or what are the indicator signs to look for?Just pick a spot on any old river or closer to mountains? Or does that even matter?

Thanx
Old 05-09-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp71 View Post
So when a guy is wondering river banks,what or where do you look for to stop and pan?Besides those mentioned already.Do you just pick a spot or what are the indicator signs to look for?Just pick a spot on any old river or closer to mountains? Or does that even matter?

Thanx
Downstream of boulders. Gold doesn't like moving, so look for places that little eddies and back-currents can form.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:04 PM

Flake gold will travel as straight of a line as it can as it is travels down a rivers current. Where ever the water slows down the gold will drop out. Gold has a lot more gravitational pull Inside bends, back eddies, boulder structure (under and around the boulders can have good pockets.) are all good to pan. And they call it prospecting because it involves lots of tests pans along the way. Look for dark colored sand and gravels. Gold is several times heavier in mass than most other materials and acts accordingly.

There is an old saying, gold is where you find it.

I go on google earth to look at how the river is traveling, bending and its sand bars. If you notice on google earth upstream of edmonton most of the gravel pits along the river are on the inside bends. Lafarge gravel company does this to also capitolize on washing the gold from the gravels too. About 60 to 70 kilograms of gold is produced annually in alberta by a couple gravel companies.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:00 AM
Banned

TAG for interest
Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Banned

There's a creek by swan hills where gold lays on the surface coming out of underground springs... My best pan was 100s of flour flakes. I need to get back there with a sluice and a shovel...how does a guy find diamonds in kimberlites? I have a honey hole iv been dying to prospect
Old 06-13-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
There's a creek by swan hills where gold lays on the surface coming out of underground springs... My best pan was 100s of flour flakes. I need to get back there with a sluice and a shovel...how does a guy find diamonds in kimberlites? I have a honey hole iv been dying to prospect
Check out these sites.

The first article in this publication is good info.
http://www.ags.gov.ab.ca/publication..._rockchips.pdf

This site has a few interesting pages.
http://diamondprospector.webs.com/index.htm
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-15-2014, 08:41 PM

Post Learning how to pan for Gold

Looking to learn how to pan for Gold. I live in Hinton and if anyone is going panning for Gold around Hinton or Jasper area I would really appreciate going along to learn. Please contact me at: vargreen@yahoo.co.in
Old 06-15-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun View Post
Looking to learn how to pan for Gold. I live in Hinton and if anyone is going panning for Gold around Hinton or Jasper area I would really appreciate going along to learn. Please contact me at: vargreen@yahoo.co.in
I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum.

Study up on what raw diamonds might look like while you learn gold panning. The Hinton area has shown to have some free diamonds in prospecting samples.
(refer to the first link i posted above your post.) Get a good color picture book of rocks and minerals.

Sorry I don't pan the area. I have panned the Mcleod river closer to Edson. That area has been sluiced and panned for decades. Panning is a quick learn. Any panner along a river you might meet most likely would show you how to work your pan. Youtube can be your friend for instruction too.
Have fun. Good luck.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-15-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
2 Edmonton area shops have all you need.

Bedrock supply Edmonton and River Gold in Sherwood park.

I got 5 grams total last year in my first crack at this hobby.

2 grams local, a gram panning in BC and a few grams from cons mail order.

TBark

Don't bother with bedrock, go straight to river gold in Sherwood!