Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Default Carb cleaner to clean barrel?

Has anyone ever used carb cleaner in their barrel. I'm thinkin outside of the box here.

We're so used to doing it the way the industry or the way it's always been done that sometimes we don't try something different.

The reason that I ask this is that I burn enough ammo that cleaning is really getting tiring. I usually burn up to a hundred rounds or more before I clean. I'm running over 2000 rounds so far this year. It's alot of cleaning.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:39 AM

There is a thgread here about using Wipeout that actually drifted to using carb cleaner/engine cleaner !
Wha I like to use is Amzoil foaming engine cleaner that you spray into the intake and it is supposed to clean the injectors, intake system, etc.
Smells a LOT like diesel.kerosene, with some other "stuff" added etc!
Cat
Old 07-05-2010, 12:20 PM

Cat, I want to give the Amsoil engine foaming cleaner a try, where do I find the stuff? I haven't seen anything like it at CDN Tire or NAPA. Did you find it particularly more effective than the noramal bore cleaners?
Old 07-05-2010, 12:54 PM

You can buy it at any marine store that sells amzoil stuff.
mercury Quicksilver is basically the same stuff.
Cat
Old 07-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Banned

carb cleaner will not remove copper fouling otherwise it should work ok
Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
carb cleaner will not remove copper fouling otherwise it should work ok
Exactly, wahat it does do is get rid of the powder fouling so the
de-coppering agent can do its job seaier!
Cat
Old 07-05-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillsman View Post
Has anyone ever used carb cleaner in their barrel. I'm thinkin outside of the box here.

Give it a try and let us know how it works.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:38 PM

Not sure what the ingredients are, but I'll bet they're known to the state of California, to be carciogenic. Used some last winter to clean my quad carb and that smell lingered around for ever. Good enough reason for me not to consider using it for cleaning a gun barrel.
Grizz
Old 07-05-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillsman View Post

I think you mean combustion chamber cleaner specifically designed to remove carbon deposits.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Not sure what the ingredients are, but I'll bet they're known to the state of California, to be carciogenic. Used some last winter to clean my quad carb and that smell lingered around for ever. Good enough reason for me not to consider using it for cleaning a gun barrel.
Grizz
In California, they might be known as carcinogenic

Bobby B.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Carb cleaner

I have been using it for more than 25 years.Spray on a patch and push it through the bore,repeat about 5 times,a clean patch every time and don't pull the dirty one back,it should be clean after 4.Light coat of oil and you should be good to go alway oil after as the carb cleaner dries out the bore.after extended shooting use your copper cleaner and JB to ensure the bore is clean.Use a bore guide.The military uses Break Free in the Gatling guns on the F-18 it also works well.jack
Old 07-06-2010, 11:38 AM

Couldn't find what I wanted but did find "Motomaster carburator and combustion chamber cleaner" . I'm going to give it a try. I found these on the internet and is the reason I will give the Crappy Tire formula a shot.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicpr...ackground.html

http://academic.pgcc.edu/~ssinex/str...arbon_bond.htm
Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 AM

I tried the Canadian Tire carb and combustion chamber cleaner out. It worked as well as any of the cleaners made specifically for guns , but not better. The cleaner contains ammonia, which is the primary ingredient for removing copper from the bore in most other bore cleaners, and it contains oleic acid which helps breaks bond of carbon. Barrel cleaner manufacturers use other chemicals to break the chemical bond. I believe to help prevent damage to finishes on wood stocks.

Curiously I saw CT fuel system cleaner. Costs $15. It's nothing more than mineral spirits. Mineral spirits can be bought at True Value hardware for $4 per liter. It also is used to break down carbon deposits.

The search continues.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:44 PM

I have been using Wacky-tire brake cleaner for the last year ( been shooting for 25 years) It works just as well as the expensive degreasers, but I still do a final clean with Butch's to get the rest of the lead / copper out.