Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-07-2010, 03:25 PM

Default new and improved .270

So i went out today and shot my rifle that I'd had some work to. Thanks a ton to TK who did an amazing job with my gun. He bead blasted my barrel to take the glare off of the stainless and i think it looks awesome, and he bedded the action and a bunch of other stuff. Anyways i loaded some shells with 130 grain hornady interbonds. Just to see what would happen i seated the bullets at 3.235 instead of 3.210. I think its ok to do that and they shot very well anyways. Heres some pics its hard to appreciate the look of the barrel, from pics, but i really like it.
[/IMG]

the top 2 holes are from sighting in, and the bottom one was me getting to excited and not letting the barrel cool. But the group has 5 shots in it. At 100 yrds
[/IMG]
Old 07-07-2010, 03:43 PM

Looks great! Even if TK did do it.

No, TK is great people. Which reminds me, I need to talk to him.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-07-2010, 09:30 PM

Ksteed nice group. I havbeen using 130 interbonds als I have had the best groups with 4831 sc I'm at 60 grs and no pressure. I don't know what do do be happy wigth it or keep goin alittle more at a tim tll I get pressure signs. I haven't messed with the depth of the bullets but they are LONG. They load alittle stiff in both my guns. What powder you using? Don't want to steal your thread here. OK
Old 07-07-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewest View Post
Ksteed nice group. I havbeen using 130 interbonds als I have had the best groups with 4831 sc I'm at 60 grs and no pressure. I don't know what do do be happy wigth it or keep goin alittle more at a tim tll I get pressure signs. I haven't messed with the depth of the bullets but they are LONG. They load alittle stiff in both my guns. What powder you using? Don't want to steal your thread here. OK
thanks and im using IMR 4831 as well. And i loaded it at 54.4 gr, im surprised your at 60 thats pretty high. But This is the first time ive really tried to make a load specific to each gun and i happened to get lucky off the bat. I know its not the tightest group for some but it works for me.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:45 PM

You guys are using two entirely different powders.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-07-2010, 10:47 PM

That TK knows what he's doing with a rifle.....and he sure is a good guy to drink coffee with and tell stories!

Good lookin rifle Kyle!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You guys are using two entirely different powders.
my bad, still learning. Whats the difference between the 2 powders then.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:05 PM

One is Hodgdon and the other is IMR. They have different burn rates.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
One is Hodgdon and the other is IMR. They have different burn rates.
how'd you know his was hodgdon? And when choosing a powder what puts one above the other?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
how'd you know his was hodgdon? And when choosing a powder what puts one above the other?
The "SC" moniker is Hodgdon. I don't know if one is better than the other. One may work better in one rifle and the other in another (though Hodgdon 4831 is classic 270 feed ). They are just different.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-07-2010, 11:12 PM

Imr 4831 is completly different than h 4831 sc...I'm assuming the sc part gave it away. Sc stands for short cut....the kernels of powder are cut shorter, supposed to help in some applications like compressed loads and using powder measures. They are both good powders and if the IMR is working for you i would stick with it.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
Imr 4831 is completly different than h 4831 sc...I'm assuming the sc part gave it away. Sc stands for short cut....the kernels of powder are cut shorter, supposed to help in some applications like compressed loads and using powder measures. They are both good powders and if the IMR is working for you i would stick with it.
i dont really understand how the powder can make a difference in the flight path of the bullet. I can see how the barrel would make a difference, how the type of bullet would make a difference, how numerous other things could make a difference but isnt the powder just the propellant? As soon as it burns what difference can it make? I realize some burn slow others fast, but it shouldnt affect the accuracy, in my mind anyways. I could use some enlightening i guess.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:31 PM

You ask hard questions. Guys like Chuck,Dick284 or catinthehat would probably be able to explain this much better than I. The best I can tell you is that different powders yield different results,I assume because of different factors like burn rates and pressure levels.....Damn now I'll be up all night reading loading manuels.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Banned

yup...pressure curve, where it peaks etc. cat will have the best explanation in words everyone will understand. that pressure affects the vibrations of the barrel as the bullet travels along it and its why every gun shoots every load a little different.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:36 AM

looks good K....you think that new trigger and finish will cure your raging case of buck fever...lol.

can't wait to give it a try.

ps. how's the arm today?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
looks good K....you think that new trigger and finish will cure your raging case of buck fever...lol.

can't wait to give it a try.

ps. how's the arm today?
haha, what buck fever. And i had to do something to be able to shoot as well as you with open sites. And the arms doing better hopefully next week ill be strong enough to pick up a gun again .
Old 07-08-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
i dont really understand how the powder can make a difference in the flight path of the bullet. I can see how the barrel would make a difference, how the type of bullet would make a difference, how numerous other things could make a difference but isnt the powder just the propellant? As soon as it burns what difference can it make? I realize some burn slow others fast, but it shouldnt affect the accuracy, in my mind anyways. I could use some enlightening i guess.
The two different burn rates ( IMR is faster than the HSC version) will create a different pressure curve, for sure.
This in turn leads to different "bullet upset", or how the bullet is affected as it leaves the case and enters the leade of the rifling.
Add to that the harmonics of the barrel get changed ( or how the barrel vibrates as the bullet heads on its way ) , and then the bullet 's atitude as it exits from the barrel gets changed, thus a different stabilisation time for the bullet is the result.
All these things are very miniscule, but can be responsible for a very big difference on paper at 100 yards and beyond!
Not saying one powder is better, but that both will have a different result on the same batch of bullets, primers and cases in the same gun.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-08-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:31 AM

On Hodgdon webpage they have a Powder Burn Rate Chart listing powders so you can compare rates from one manufacturer to another.

BTW, nice looking rifle and groups!!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
haha, what buck fever. And i had to do something to be able to shoot as well as you with open sites. And the arms doing better hopefully next week ill be strong enough to pick up a gun again .
i'm hoping those open sights do it for me again this year!!

hmm buck fever....i do recall something about a standing shot at a large ungulate?? lol
Old 07-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Dang!!
That rifle shoots good!

Or is it you shoot well with that rifle?

whatever,

good job!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 07-08-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
Dang!!
That rifle shoots good!

Or is it you shoot well with that rifle?

whatever,

good job!
i think its mostly the fact that the gun shoots way better now that you had your hands on it. Thanks alot and hopefully well get out to shoot sometime.