Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Default Automatic trap thrower.

Myself and a mate are looking at a couple of automatic traps. would like something that can have a wobbler added latter, and long or wireless cords.
who sells them in Alberta or BC?
Can't find any on Wholesales web site but I am sure I have seen them there. Dose anyone have a Atlas AT50 any comments.
Any remecondations.
Thanks Kiwi
Old 06-11-2010, 10:13 AM

Our club purchased our trap machine from a business in Calgary not far from the airport (don't have the name handy)

FYI: Fully automatic trap machines are pretty pricy, costing more than a couple thousand dollars.IIRC

There are no absolutes
Old 06-11-2010, 10:16 AM

If all else fails try google.

Here is a link on my first hit.
http://www.westernretro.net/home.htm

Google comes thru again.

Auto-Sporter Industries - Auto-Sporter Industries The Toughest Trap on the market today. More Info
Bay E 1235 40th Avenue NE, Calgary, Canada, AB
800-940-2529 Fax: 403-291-5579

There are no absolutes
Old 06-11-2010, 10:22 AM

We bought the White wing out of the US for 350 and do not have a single complaint. You can add a wobbler for 250 and wireless dual remotes for 179.00. We are planning to add the wobbler and get another but have not done it yet. It throws the clays at least 70-80 yards and rarely has one break. It is not heavy so moving it around is easy.

I would recommend it.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0070354230008a.shtml

I forgot to mention Bass pro has the next model a step up from the white quail for a bit over 500 I think.

Last edited by podman; 06-11-2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: add text
Old 06-11-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podman View Post
We bought the White wing out of the US for 350 and do not have a single complaint. You can add a wobbler for 250 and wireless dual remotes for 179.00. We are planning to add the wobbler and get another but have not done it yet. It throws the clays at least 70-80 yards and rarely has one break. It is not heavy so moving it around is easy.

I would recommend it.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0070354230008a.shtml

I forgot to mention Bass pro has the next model a step up from the white quail for a bit over 500 I think.

Just wondering after you push the release button, how fast can you push it again to release the second clay?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 06-11-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Just wondering after you push the release button, how fast can you push it again to release the second clay?
It depends on your battery. With just using the truck battery without it running it was slow. When the truck was running it was fast enough that when you shot the first clay the second was ready to go. I have not tried a deep cycle battery which they recommend.

We want a second with wireless remotes so we can set them up in different situations like sporting clays.

Here is their website. It looks like about a 2 second cycle time.
http://www.do-alltraps.com/clayshoot.html

Last edited by podman; 06-11-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: add text
Old 06-11-2010, 12:46 PM

^^ only thing i would say about this one is that the cable is a bit short......however if you are not running it straight from a truck it is just fine..
Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Google comes thru again.

Auto-Sporter Industries - Auto-Sporter Industries The Toughest Trap on the market today. More Info
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
Myself and a mate are looking at a couple of automatic traps. would like something that can have a wobbler added latter, and long or wireless cords.
who sells them in Alberta or BC?
Can't find any on Wholesales web site but I am sure I have seen them there. Dose anyone have a Atlas AT50 any comments.
Any remecondations.
Thanks Kiwi

If anyone gets close to Cranbrook and wants to try out a Western Retro Trap let me know. I have voice release and a pull cord pickle depending on if you are shooting alone or not.
It throws better targets than do all (by far) and a single stack from Cabelas, for not much more $$$$
It also has the wobble, the ability to do doubles (with the wobble that is a serious hoot, betcha can't get a perfect score)
And it also has the international arm, so if you load up some white flyer targets, crank the spring tension and helloooo ultrafast 90mph birds.
I have mine running off of a solar panel, inverter and a deep cycle optima battery.
Hours of serious fun before dinner.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Gone Hunting

""It throws better targets than do all (by far) and a single stack from Cabelas, for not much more $$$$""

Western has one in the same price range as a White wing?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 AM

Montgomery auctions in Blackfalds has a couple up for auction on the 19th.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Take a trip to the USA, I got a trap machine for $15.00 that is $60.00 here.
I have seen automatic one in the US for about $200.00 - $300.00
Old 06-14-2010, 11:52 PM

Default Western Retro "Outlaw" Trap Skeet Clay Thrower

I have just completely rebuilt this machine which was originally manufactured in 1988. This custom trap will throw automatic ATA singles / doubles, modern skeet, NSSA skeet, Wobble singles or doubles. One machine does it all. Holds 100 clays. Other models are available and can been seen on my website at www.westernretro.net. This beauty (serial X13233) sells for $2500. Add $150 for voice activation. FOB Victoria, BC. PM for more info.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Google comes thru again.

Yip best machine made. Ahhh well not made any more. A freind has 8 of these machines and was going to buy 12 more, but ....

Harry is not building new ones anymore but he may have some used ones coming in to him from a club. He suggested that you look at his web site and he will post them if he gets them. If he does, grab em...they are the best.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:08 AM

We have a few old Westerns but our best machines are Beomats - not the kind of thing one wants for his backyard however - the price is staggering!!
Cat
Old 06-15-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
""It throws better targets than do all (by far) and a single stack from Cabelas, for not much more $$$$""

Different animal altogether. Winchester is in a different league. Put this way, if you plan to practise something to improve your shooting, practise with equipment that constantly challenges you to improve.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Retro View Post

I have just completely rebuilt this machine which was originally manufactured in 1988. This custom trap will throw automatic ATA singles / doubles, modern skeet, NSSA skeet, Wobble singles or doubles. One machine does it all. Holds 100 clays. Other models are available and can been seen on my website at www.westernretro.net. This beauty (serial X13233) sells for $2500. Add $150 for voice activation. FOB Victoria, BC. PM for more info.
Nice picture. Same one I have at home! What a beast of a machine to hit with wobble doubles!

While voice release is fun when you are by yourself, make sure to get a pull cord. That way when company comes to shoot, it gives the non shooter something to do, and ''slow or fast'' pull become entertaining as hell!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Montgomery auctions in Blackfalds has a couple up for auction on the 19th.
I've seen these machines in person. Some work may be required to put them back in service. They are faaaarrrr from new.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
We have a few old Westerns but our best machines are Beomats - not the kind of thing one wants for his backyard however - the price is staggering!!
Cat
saw the Remington traps at the Montgomery auction site this Sat....any thoughts on those????
Old 06-15-2010, 11:45 PM

Default Lincoln Traps

Lincoln Traps. Cal their number for thier Cdn distributor. Thier automatic traps work very well.

http://www.lincolntraps.com/traps.html
Old 06-28-2010, 09:49 PM

Default western trap.

Just, wanted to say thanks, too those who replied, Am picking up a western trap tommorow,
Regards Kiwi
Old 06-29-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Just, wanted to say thanks, too those who replied, Am picking up a western trap tommorow,
Regards Kiwi
Congrats! PM Returned, and can't wait to see what you think! I know I love mine. So far the machine is still winning. I have yet to achieve a perfect score!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Regards Kiwi
Good talking to you. Next time you are down, I will clear out for the day so we can shoot and bs a little!

Congrats again on the purchase. If you also got the wobble, welcome to my nemesis... wobble doubles...... one day I will conquer the machine... but... not.. quite... yet...
Old 07-09-2010, 05:50 AM

I went to shoot some skeet last night at the club, and who was there but southernman and his buddy with their new toy!
Sooo, instead of running the club machines I decided to give them a hand setting up their new Western wobble trap!
Cat
After a bit of fiddling around with it and fine tuning, they got the hang of things.