Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-07-2010, 11:27 PM

Exclamation Can Someone provide some Info on This .22LR?

Hey AO member, hope you're all well.
I'm sort of stumped and was hoping you guys can help me!
I was scouting recently for deer and moose in my favorite hunting zone the other day, and i wound up meeting a farmer while looking for permission. The gentlemen and i took sometime trading stories and eventually it came around to his tale of this bolt action .22 LR he has that wont shoot straight. He happend to have a piece of drywall handy that he has recently shot at with this gun, and so i examined it. The wholes left in this target were oblong and sort of ovalish. I figure this is most likely due to his rifling in the barrel being worn out or possibly clogged and the bullet is tumbling in the air. I aggreed to take it with me and see what i could do with it. He claims it's all he has for shooting coyotes. Anyways! I've been trying to pass a .22 wire brushes, patches, and even bore snakes through this barrel but theres a spot so built up in there i cant pass these through.. Should i try a .17 cal brush? I dont think a new barrel is an option because i doubt i'd ever find parts, the barrel stamp reads as follows Karl Burgsmuller Sen. Krelensen CAL 22 LR. I tried searching for information on google but turned up nothing close. Anyone know anything about this gun, or brand? And is there any other suggestions to clearing this barrel?

THANKS!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:44 PM

Cap the muzzle and fill it with Browning's Bore Cleaner for a day. Then I would try a .17 brass brush and scrub the heck out of it. If it is a real old .22 there is a chance that the spot could be a 'leaded' area that has built up over time.

Elbow grease and maybe some de leading agent will help.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:07 AM

Karl Burgsmuller - .22 - Blue - 89352 -

Any information would be appreciated as the rifle is currently in South Africa, and I have to consider whether it's worth shipping to the UK. Does this rifle have any significant value?

Answer:
Roy, the only information that I was able to find is that Burgsmuller H. Burgsmuller & Sohne of Kreiensen am Harz manufactured sporting rifles and combination guns prior to 1914. The sporting rifles were usually built on Oberndorf-made 1898 type actions and the combination guns had an unusual action which was locked by a lever that ran forward beneath the forend. The lever was swung outward to the left for loading.

I could not find any mention of Burgsmuller rifles chambered in .22 caliber. If the rifle is a high quality custom model, built on a 98 action in excellent condition, it may be quiet valuable. If it is well used, with a lot scrapes and dents and without much finish left, it probably is not worth much. Marc

http://oldguns.net/q&a7_08.htm
Old 07-08-2010, 09:29 PM

My suggestion..... If the farmer has a PAL,, id be out trying to find a nice used 22 magnum and would be giving him the gift of a new coyote rifle!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:56 PM

One possible secenario is that he had something stuck in the barrel at one time (could be anything from a bullet to a cleaning patch or who knows what) and either knowingly or unknowingly fired a shot with the obstruction in there. He managed to blow a "hole" through the obstruction and now the bullets swage thmselves down as they go through leaving a little more lead behind every time.

I've seen lots of barrel obstructions and now keep brass rods of different sizes around just to help coax them out. Try soaking in solvent for a few days (Croil works good as a penetrating oil too) and then a tight fitting brass rod might do the trick. Don't use a cleaning rod to drive out an obstruction!

Of course a bore scope will tell you right away what's going on....

triggerpress
Old 07-09-2010, 10:16 AM

Another way that may work, is to get Lewis Lead Remover brass patches (44 or 45 cal) and make your own .17 to .22 brass patches out of them depending what will go down the bore. A .17 cal cleaning rod with a brass screw and brass nuts will be needed to fit in the end of your cleaning rod. Find a piece of rubber hose that is under bore dia and will fit on the screw. You now have the components for making a Lewis Lead Remover for a .17 or .22 cal rifle. I'd start with the .17 and if that works, move up.

I got a Lewis Lead Remover stuck in a pistol barrel. It was a bastard to remove. With a longer barrel or a rifle, I would never try force it through.

If it gets stuck, you can get some bore cleaners designed to remove copper fouling and let it break down the brass patch (it will take some time), and remove it. If you're bent on getting it out quickly, ammonia is the active ingredient that removes copper fouling, but I recommend to use it as a last resort because the ammonia can etch the bore if it is left in too long.

Tags
.22 lr, bolt action, clearing barrel, rifling