Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 AM

Default Rookie reloading questions

I few questions I thought I would ask you guy's. When you pull your bullets with the collet type puller do you still use the bullet or is it somewhat squished and no good? If I have say a middle load on some fed brass and It shoots good and reload some in some rem brass with the same load, will it make A big difference ? This is for hunting . I'm sure I will have a few more as I go, thanks in advance for help.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 AM

Stick 'em back in a nd shoot them!
Cat
Old 07-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Banned

You can re-use the pulled bullets. Federal brass may differ from Remington brass as far as internal volume is concerned. So it may make a bit of a difference in velocity with the same powder charge. Usually this affect smaller calibers like .223 more than it would affect a large capacity case such as a .300WM. But like you said, it's for hunting and I don't see that it should be too much of a problem. I would do a quick sight in though, just to be sure.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Stick 'em back in a nd shoot them!
Cat
x2 Never had any problems reusing pulled bullets
Old 07-09-2010, 10:53 AM

x3 but try not to grab them any harder than you have to with the collet to remove them.

For years we have been pulling the FMJs out of 30 cal military ammo and re-using them in 300 mags for fur preservation.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Remmy brass is usually a little thinner than the fed brass. So you may need to increase your powder just a tad. Back off a grain and build up the load as per usual. Cover your butt by backing off a bit with the powder while redoing your loading process. Suprises can be rather nasty at 50-60000 psi.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:39 PM

Great question! I always wondered myself. I am sure for hunting level of accuracy it would not matter much but when you read some of the benchrest stuff, it would make one think it does.

I solved the dilemma of wondering by buying an RCBS kinetic "puller" that taps like a hammer. I think they are around $20 and removes the doubt of using bullets with the marks from a collet puller.

If you are a rookie to loading, congrats on taking it up. One more way to fuel the addiction.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:59 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joep17 View Post
Great question! I always wondered myself. I am sure for hunting level of accuracy it would not matter much but when you read some of the benchrest stuff, it would make one think it does.

I solved the dilemma of wondering by buying an RCBS kinetic "puller" that taps like a hammer. I think they are around $20 and removes the doubt of using bullets with the marks from a collet puller.

If you are a rookie to loading, congrats on taking it up. One more way to fuel the addiction.

+1 on the kinetic puller had a RCBS now use the Lyman one. I like the orange color better. Available at Wholesale sports.