Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-12-2014, 09:12 PM

Default Puttin in the time

This will be season two for me bow hunting. Purchased an early 90's PSE and watched some great looking deer last year just never got any close enough. Today I put out my cam in hopes of selecting a more effective location for my stand. I'm sayin this year if it no happen again atleast I put in the time and effort wish me luck I wanna feel the feeling. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:50 PM

Like anything else, putting in the time will lead to some results. Even if a kill doesn't result you sure will have experienced things you never would have sitting on the couch. What type of camera?
Old 04-13-2014, 12:12 AM

De-scent your boots any time you are in their territory, and dont handle branches and such. Stay away from bedding areas. Don't mess around during prime time (morning and evening) its always surprising how little pressure it takes to move em off. Treat scouting like hunting, same rules regarding movement, wind, scent control, etc. Buy good optics and spend time watching them (in your truck, a long ways away) - cameras are great but only capture so much.

Good on ya for getting a head start. Hope you have better luck this season.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 PM

Default Little update on how she goes.

So got the scouting cam out a month ago. First two weeks the memory card wasn't pushed in all the way (empty) (angry with myself). The next week the cam was to high but got two head pics. Gonna dash out tomorrow and retrieve card. Took out a saw and cleared some dead fall on a major trail. Got two serious choke spots found where major trails come together into a highway. I'm planning on getting the scouting done early and pulling out well before the season opens. Don't want the deer feeling hunted. This sure feels good and really is part of the hunt as a whole.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:54 PM

Default One more thing?

I have a spy point out there and a Wild game innovations camera. Seem to be clear pics. So now that I'm finding these heavy deer areas how can I get into my stand and not get busted. Is it worth trimming and picking the crack/snap branches off the ground to make a quiet path in there?
Old 05-15-2014, 09:58 PM

Trick is to find out what kind of area are you in. Is it a staging area leading to a nightly feed source? Is it a bedding area? Finding those things out will help you determine also if it is a morning or night stand and what way the winds tend to come from will dictate how to hunt it.
Clearing a path can't hurt.
The spy point, is it a cellular transmitting style?
Old 06-06-2014, 10:23 PM

Default Update

Finally got the trail cam at the correct height and memory card in and landed 80 images in four weeks. Just as I suspected a highway. Not one image where the deer even knew the cam was there. Definitely like the location. Should I leave it there or move it to another location on the same land to see where they move.is the one close up three point (can't see brows from that angle) a white tail?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (143.4 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by Rainemaker; 06-06-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:11 PM

Looks like a mulie to me!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:42 PM

Default Time

I suppose trail cameras are cool but to choose a stand location nothing beats looking around and studying sign.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:37 PM

Agreed I have one other cam out and walking up to it I could tell it wasn't a hard hit area and it's memory card had ten images. I agree it's a mulie. I'm having the most fun studying the area.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:32 PM

Default Update

Have had the time of my life scouting and analyzing the area I'm so lucky to hunt. Went out a couple weeks ago and walked within 200 yards of five mule does waited until they moved on and went to retrieve my memory card. Came back up a large hill breathing pretty hard looked up and wow a well developed mule buck. I stoped watched for a long while as he jumps the fence and cautiously but confidently walkes across the freshly sprouted wheat field. By this time I'm on cloud nine. The whole experience so far has been rewarding. Planning on spending a lot more time in the stand this my second year of archery. Anyone got some other scouting stories?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I suppose trail cameras are cool but to choose a stand location nothing beats looking around and studying sign.
Completely agree. That's really been the exciting part. Once the cam told me there is deer there frequently I was pretty much not that interested in the pics.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:38 AM

Diefiant Mulie...gonna be a good one too!...I would look for a place for a stand or a well hidden blind and set up cam there....

Neil