Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2014, 02:01 PM

Default Computer question/ help....

I have a flatscreen TV that I don't use at present and want to hook it to my laptop for the larger view. The TV has a HDMI port but the laptop doesn't. Do they make a USB to HDMI connection wire ? Is it that simple?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Banned

Yep, here's one example
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36285
Old 04-16-2014, 02:05 PM

Yes there are converters, and yes it's that easy.

To be truthful, your TV likely has other ports on it as well, VGA or DVI for example. Your laptop would surely have one of these.

Cheers
Old 04-16-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I have a flatscreen TV that I don't use at present and want to hook it to my laptop for the larger view. The TV has a HDMI port but the laptop doesn't. Do they make a USB to HDMI connection wire ? Is it that simple?
Does your computer have any video output ports like VGA?

If so, something like this http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX32084

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:12 PM

I appreciate the help guys. Laptop has a VGA port....is this a better option?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:

These connectors and converters are very cheap on www.amazon.com

My old laptop only has VGA out,so I bought a VGA to HDMI converter.I also had to buy an extra cable that was HDMI to HDMI to connect the converter to TV.
All costed me around $30
Old 04-16-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I would say a better option, you will sacrifice quality as you do go down the list of available ports. DVI is better than VGA. HDMI is better than DVI. What I don't know for certain is how much quality you'll get through the converters either. So if even you have a USB to HDMI converter, you ultimately may end up with the same quality picture on your TV as a straight VGA connection.

Also, it's not important if your laptop has a VGA connection (persay) - what does your TV have? I'm sure your TV will have one of these computer connections aside from HDMI, and you may not require any converter at all.

Cheers
Old 04-16-2014, 02:56 PM
Banned

As a side note, my laptop is tied to my TV and everything I do is through it.

I run VGA from the laptop - it doesn't have hdmi - but I have a set of decent computer speakers plugged in. Works well for me, but if your TV doesn't have VGA, go for the HDMI.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:50 PM

People seem to be leaving out the fact that anything 'converted' to HDMI is usually glitch ridden and also video only.. any of the other connections will need the sound run separately.. HDMI to HDMI is the way to go... also depending on the type of laptop you have most do not have dedicated video cards and if you are running a 20" TV or better your poor laptop will have a hard time making that happen properly. Chances are if it does not have an HDMI port it doesnt have anything but onboard video and isn't ideal to rig it up to your TV....
Old 04-16-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takkotime View Post
People seem to be leaving out the fact that anything 'converted' to HDMI is usually glitch ridden and also video only.. any of the other connections will need the sound run separately.. HDMI to HDMI is the way to go... also depending on the type of laptop you have most do not have dedicated video cards and if you are running a 20" TV or better your poor laptop will have a hard time making that happen properly. Chances are if it does not have an HDMI port it doesnt have anything but onboard video and isn't ideal to rig it up to your TV....
I don't recall having any 'glitches', but you correct regarding the sound. However, the OP asked for a larger viewing area. Anything suggested here will accomplish his desire.

Cheers
Old 04-17-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
That depends.

I happen to have several VGA cables at home as I tend to packrat computer equipment and cables are one thing I keep cause "ya just never know"

If you have a VGA cable handy, or know somebody like me who does and they'll give it to you for free. It's definitely cheaper.

I haven't looked but I'd suspect a VGA cable is cheaper than a converter.

Even if I didn't have several VGA and DVI cables in my house, I'd still go that route before I'd buy a converter.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 04-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I'm not sure I would say a better option, you will sacrifice quality as you do go down the list of available ports. DVI is better than VGA. HDMI is better than DVI.
HDMI and DVI are identical signals. The only difference is the inclusion of sound in the same interface. Actually dual link DVI can push a bunch more data than DVI
Old 04-17-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
HDMI and DVI are identical signals. The only difference is the inclusion of sound in the same interface. Actually dual link DVI can push a bunch more data than DVI
Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers