Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-01-2016, 09:44 PM

Default When to call it quits for the season

Hey guys,
Happy to report that we've had a great season so far, but I'm wondering where one should draw the line when it comes harvesting meat. Do you have a number of pounds you like to reach to sustain you until next year, or do you just try to fill as many tags as possible? I'm feeling like we have enough to keep us going for a year, but on the other hand, what if we're not as successful in 2017... Curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...r/id1091008357
http://www.therookiehunter.com/podcast/
https://twitter.com/rookie_hunter
Old 11-01-2016, 09:51 PM

No need to take more than you can use. Game numbers are down.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:52 PM

Stop when you have what you think you need. The "fill every tag" mentality is one of the major problems facing deer populations around much of the province. Not every region can sustain the amount of tags they hand out

Just my opinion.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Stop when you have what you think you need. The "fill every tag" mentality is one of the major problems facing deer populations around much of the province. Not every region can sustain the amount of tags they hand out

Just my opinion.
My thoughts as well.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...r/id1091008357
http://www.therookiehunter.com/podcast/
https://twitter.com/rookie_hunter
Old 11-01-2016, 10:01 PM

For me it's not about the amount of meat, it's the enjoyment that gets me hunting.

If you aren't having fun then it's probably time to hang it up for the season.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:06 PM

Have a mule deer and an elk down already, didn't pursue moose this year as don't need the meat. Looking for a good white tail with my bow. BUT if a giant moose walks out....then bird in hand my Brother has a young family and hasn't been able to get out so it certainly would be appreciated.

LC
Old 11-01-2016, 10:26 PM

I find when you are starting to get a full freezer, host some friends over who have never had wild game. Everyone almost always enjoys the game and it gives non-hunters a positive spin on hunting. The more the public is with us the less the government and PETA can do to limit us!
Old 11-01-2016, 11:05 PM

I still have half of my Elk from last year, that and poor moose numbers in my wmu of choice i did not draw this year for moose.

It's getting a first deer for my son what's the priority this year. I will have a tag too and will take a buck if the right one steps out but only after the boy gets his. I have friends who eat wild meat at almost every meal and can go through a moose and 4 deer before the snow melts. We like it too but don't eat it every sit down. If sonny boy gets a buck great, a few more steaks, stew meat and sausage will be just right. If I take one too, i have uncles who don't hunt anymore but love a care package.

When there is meat left over from last season, we scout new areas more and almost always hang a tag on the wall in the garage lol.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post

Just my opinion.
X3

Take only what you need and leave the rest.

If you really have to hunt something hunt coyotes. You get out hunting and it serves a purpose.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:59 AM

I call it quits when I stop enjoying being out in the field.

I'm hunting my Mulie now and enjoy sitting and watching th WTs play.

Even before Nov I was sitting just to enjoy the outdoors.

I'll always use the meat but I'll never hunt if I'm not enjoying myself.

It's more about enjoying the outdoors than filling the freezer.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:13 AM

I have an idea of what I need for venison for the year. Once I reach that target, that's it. Only take what you need.

After I have what I need, I typically go after grouse, coyotes, or try a different style of hunting. For example, I shot my first duck with my bow last year. This year, perhaps sharptails or Huns.

Predator hunting is a great way to "give back" to the ungulate population. Coyotes and wolves hunt every day. Bears hunt 9 months of the year. Taking even one coyote out ensures the survival of several ungulates over the winter and helps balance out what we take.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:30 AM

I usually use a fair amount of meat in a year as we try not to by any meat from the grocery store except chicken ....I don't like pork....So all wild caught fish (salmon and halibut mainly) and wild game. Some years like this year for me you just don't fill the tags I have had several successful years elk hunting ......I usually rely on half an elk from my dad usually as well as a single elk will last maybe half a year for us. Through a moose in there and I would have a crazy amount of meat more than our three person family could use. I also don't want to be out of meat should the next season not be fruitful. There is no problem keeping meat for 2 years as I wrap all meat tightly in freezer paper and have next to no freezer burn in meat odd pack that get stuck in the back of the freezer. I have pulled steaks out from 4 years ago that you couldn't tell the difference between a 1 month old steak.

All that said I never want to have excess meat where anything would be wasted but I always have extended family more than happy to receive some excess meat. But if I have a full freezer I wont shoot a animal just cause I bought a tag. Right now I am desperately looking to still fill my elk tag but I also have a moose tag that I can use in the bowzone so should I fill either tag I wont use the other because I have maybe a 3rd of a moose from last year still and half a medium sized cow elk that my dad harvested earlier this year.

So bottom line is I let my freezer determine if I need to fill another tag.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:30 AM

Two factors come into play for me and they have already been mentioned;

First, The Hunt itself...I spend countless hours at the range, play with Tons of hunting toys, watch Way too much WildTV and hike/scout out areas throughout the year. The two months or so that is my Hunting season I wanna be Hunting.
And secondly, the harvest of Meat. I am a proud Meatatarian! I Never take more than I need and I don't legally hunt/harvest meat for others.

This year I will not hunt my mulie doe draw simply cause I have ample meat in the freezer.
I will however take part in others hunts, simply cause I wanna be out there. And it's waay easier carrying a camera.

Guess we all have our own set of ethics, as long as we do our hunts legally and wisely I guess we are good...
Old 11-02-2016, 09:36 AM

Between me and my girlfriend we can shoot 4 cow elk and 1 mule doe based off drawn tags. There is no way we can eat that much. I think we will take one cow elk and the mule deer, or 2 calf elk and a mule deer
Old 11-02-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Between me and my girlfriend we can shoot 4 cow elk and 1 mule doe based off drawn tags. There is no way we can eat that much. I think we will take one cow elk and the mule deer, or 2 calf elk and a mule deer
Shoot me a cow elk ill come pick it up and pay for the tag!
I have a whitetail on my hit list I would rather devote my hunting hours too and finding a antlered elk has proved tricky this year for me!
Old 11-02-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Shoot me a cow elk ill come pick it up and pay for the tag!
I have a whitetail on my hit list I would rather devote my hunting hours too and finding a antlered elk has proved tricky this year for me!
Hunting ethics are fun!
Old 11-02-2016, 12:26 PM

I got myself a young bull moose down with my bow. Im pretty pleased with that. I'll still be going out but mostly to try and help my friends fill some tags unless a nice buck gives me a shot I can't pass up.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:23 PM

Take what you need/ fill the freezer..........then go back out and help out the things that fill your freezer!!
Wolves need some thinning!!
Do some moose calls or use a predator call!!
Bait those guys as well!! Popcans' threads on here can offer some awesome advice
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 11-02-2016, 03:50 PM

Its pretty personal. Idk what you life is like but if you have a steady job then your probably fine to stop. If your employment and income is sketchy at best then get a mixh as you can really.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I have an idea of what I need for venison for the year. Once I reach that target, that's it. Only take what you need.
That's me too. If you're new to hunting and not sure, better to have a few lean months than to have too much. Just because you can shoot it doesn't always mean you should.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:16 PM

I already got an elk this last weekend but that won't stop me from trying to fill my 2.deer tags and one more elk tag. I won't eat it all but I will be giving it to friends who will use it because they aren't as well off as me. Plus the deer I'll most likely donate since we have the hunters against hunger program here in Montana. You can donate wild game at meat processors who will cut it up for free and give it to the food bank.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:55 AM

While I have no problem with guys stopping their season once they reach a limit, I personally keep hunting as I have plenty of family and friends that would take any excess meat I may get. That and 2 growing boys can eat a lot of meat!

That said, I usually hold out for a mature WT buck and let the younger ones go. That's because I usually have doe and either moose or elk draws between me and my two boys. Been a couple of years since I have filled a WT buck tag.

I also understand the side of herd male/female ratios. If there are draws for doe and cow for a species, they want you to take them out of the herd in that area. Why apply for a draw tag on a female that you won't use?
Old 11-03-2016, 09:06 AM

My freezer is just about empty. The doe from earlier this season is just about a memory. Hoping to get a buck here soon.
If you've got enough meat but like to get out and enjoy the hunt, then i'd suggest partnering with a youth or an elderly hunter and helping them with their harvest. Feels great helping others and its always a good day when your out hunting.
Don't over think it, 2017 is a whole other ball of wax
Old 11-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Banned

One moose or one elk, and one deer does it for us. I don't shoot too many deer anymore, I've passed that torch on to my son. Unless of course it's an old giant!
Old 11-03-2016, 04:16 PM

150 pounds of ground did my family nicely for ground, but only had about 100 pounds of steak we ran outta steaks fast and coulda have used a lot more natural sausages and delimeats as we started buying store deli at about june. im gonna try for about 350 pounds this year if possible for more steaks, roasts, sausages and pepperonis.

who knows what the carbon tax will do to the price of store food next year.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:56 AM

Don't stop hunting, OP. Maybe get selective, but get out as much as you can. I am stuck working out of province through the entire bow season and may only get a few days off in November. I have a bull moose draw this year. Cherish the days you have out there because next year you might be stuck bringing home the bacon instead of venison.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:14 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hunt hard, you don't have to fill all tags, get your meat, enjoy your meat but I tell ya the more time you spend out in the woods the more knowledge you gain.
Plus that trophy of a lifetime may walk by...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-04-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hunt hard, you don't have to fill all tags, get your meat, enjoy your meat but I tell ya the more time you spend out in the woods the more knowledge you gain.
Plus that trophy of a lifetime may walk by...
Hunt hard indeed... but don't kill for the sake of killing. Pass up on the smaller bucks and learn about them for next year. If you have enough meat, get in there and watch the rut!
Old 11-04-2016, 09:18 PM

Default Never had venison

"I find when you are starting to get a full freezer, host some friends over who have never had wild game. Everyone almost always enjoys the game and it gives non-hunters a positive spin on hunting. The more the public is with us the less the government and PETA can do to limit us!"

This is what I love to do with wild meat. Introduce people to it. Cooked properly by the hunter, so it is as good as it can be.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Banned

When it was just me a whole elk used to last me 2 years so it wouldn't buy a tag following year. Now I fill freezer 2-3 animals or one elk and deer then I still hunt but take others out