Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-28-2010, 10:58 AM

They are a small UK based company and only been around for about 10 yrs. Seem to be doing quite well so I thought I'd give it a shot. Only places to get em in Canada is from frontier firearms or AGW unless you want to order from the UK and deal with export licences. They've had a few problems with earlier pre-production models that made there way over but the current lineup seems pretty solid. If you want more info on em, Mike @ AGW is the guy to talk to.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:07 AM
sheephunter

I spent way too much on my latest addition but hey, you only turn 50 once....

Just picked this baby up yesterday in Dawson Creek and I couldn't be happier! Bring on the sheep.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solothurn View Post
Most recent purchase
AMSD Nemesis 50 BMG c/w spare qiuick change barrel 8x32 NXS 4 spare mags $19875.00

Crap that hurts when you spit coffee out your nose...
Old 06-28-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I spent way too much on my latest addition but hey, you only turn 50 once....

Just picked this baby up yesterday in Dawson Creek and I couldn't be happier! Bring on the sheep.

That's a pretty tight group. What kind of rifle and caliber is it?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 PM
sheephunter

Ya, for a sub 6 pound hunting rifle that's about as good as you can ask for. And that was with some ammo they just had laying around. It's a Rocky Mountain Rifle in 270WSM.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Ya, for a sub 6 pound hunting rifle that's about as good as you can ask for. And that was with some ammo they just had laying around. It's a Rocky Mountain Rifle in 270WSM.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLD TIMER...LOL.Nice gun btw.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:17 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLD TIMER...LOL.Nice gun btw.
LOL.....birthday was back in January when I ordered the rifle but it felt like it all over again when I picked up the rifle yesterday.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoy19 View Post
They are a small UK based company and only been around for about 10 yrs. Seem to be doing quite well so I thought I'd give it a shot. Only places to get em in Canada is from frontier firearms or AGW unless you want to order from the UK and deal with export licences. They've had a few problems with earlier pre-production models that made there way over but the current lineup seems pretty solid. If you want more info on em, Mike @ AGW is the guy to talk to.
Thanks for the info. Let us know how it pans out for you
Old 06-28-2010, 09:14 PM

sheephunter is that gun out of BC?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
sheephunter is that gun out of BC?
Yup...Dawson Creek.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Yup...Dawson Creek.
was looking at there work, sounds great. will buy a gun from them in the future
Old 06-28-2010, 10:56 PM

Nice looking gun Sheep.
At least if it doesnt shoot for ya, you could use the SS as a mirror to apply your make up in the morning.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 06-29-2010, 05:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Nice looking gun Sheep.
At least if it doesnt shoot for ya, you could use the SS as a mirror to apply your make up in the morning.
Your turn will come when you hit 50 plus. Make-up is a necessity to hide the wrinkles. Nice gun Sheephunter, I had Rod, Tim and Greg build me four over the years.....very accurate, balanced and work quite well to say the least.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:58 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Nice looking gun Sheep.
LOL...ya, I may get it powder coated down the road but dang it sure it purdy!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:45 AM

My last purchase:

Marlin XL7/ $425
Older Redfield 3-9x44/ $110
Total= $535
It's not the prettiest but it sure shoots straight.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
LOL...ya, I may get it powder coated down the road but dang it sure it purdy!
Hard to tell from the pics how shiny it really is. I guess if its too shiny for your likings it could be bead blasted.
Can't wait to see it one day.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
in fairness to the newbies, you dont have to spend that much to just get involved. if you plan on going out for a weekend or two to jsut whack any old deer for some sausage, savage, weatherby and others make gun and scope packages for 450-700 bucks. if you arent sure you are going to go fullbore, or just dont have 2k to toss around, you could use one of these packages and do just fine. the gun is only one of the several tools you really should have. binoculars are pretty well a must. dont ever use your riflescope as a bino and point at something you are unsure of. a decent knife is also essential. ok....back to the braggin about our gear.
I'm with you. If someone would have told me this a few years back, I would have dismissed it though.
A 200$ Lee Enfield with peep sight and a 300$ 870 is all one really needs. In the beginning I too thought that "the bestest" will bring me more bucks.
Too late now, acquiring is an addiction.... resistance is futile.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:38 PM

Who said need had anything to do with this? I think I spent a little over$1100 on my Icon w/Redfield 3-9x40 and Leupy rings. Got the rifle for $850 at a silent auction though!
Old 07-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Banned

Arrow

Glock 19 OD Restricted
5 x Mags

$1200
Old 07-02-2010, 05:05 PM

not a chance Boyz.....my Wife may read this

tm
Old 07-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Banned

If I was looking at getting into hunting this thread would have convinced me that I could not afford it. It seems like many people would rather brag about how astronomical the cost of their rifle is than encourage newbies to get into the sport. To be fair the question was what your last gun was but maby it should have been "how much did your first rifle cost" to acheive the desired educational effect. My guns are as follows...

Ruger laminate/stainless model 77 in .270 win, $700 bucks
Bushnell 3200 2x7 power scope $250, total cost including taxes was around $1000 bucks which is almost twice as much as a guy needs to spend.

Used Remington 12 guage 870 wingmaster, $450 and I could have got a new express model for even less.

Savage .22 $180
Bushnell rimfire scope $50

Grohman #1 knife $70

Bushnell 8x binoculars $150

There you go, even with a little extravagance I'm set up to shoot pretty much anything in Alberta for under $2000 and I probably could have shaved the better part of a grand off if I was on a tighter budget. Less than the price of what alot of guys are saying they spent on their rifle alone. But by this post anyone not willing to drop a small fortune on hunting gear has long since wandered back to the fishing page.

Last edited by Cal; 07-02-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
If I was looking at getting into hunting this thread would have convinced me that I could not afford it. It seems like many people would rather brag about how astronomical the cost of their rifle is than encourage newbies to get into the sport. To be fair the question was what your last gun was but maby it should have been "how much did your first rifle cost" to acheive the desired educational effect. My guns are as follows...

Ruger laminate/stainless model 77 in .270 win, $700 bucks
Bushnell 3200 2x7 power scope $250, total cost including taxes was around $1000 bucks which is almost twice as much as a guy needs to spend.

Used Remington 12 guage 870 wingmaster, $450 and I could have got a new express model for even less.

Savage .22 $180
Bushnell rimfire scope $50

Grohman #1 knife $70

Bushnell 8x binoculars $150

There you go, even with a little extravagance I'm set up to shoot pretty much anything in Alberta for under $2000 and I probably could have shaved the better part of a grand off if I was on a tighter budget. Less than the price of what alot of guys are saying they spent on their rifle alone. But by this post anyone not willing to drop a small fortune on hunting gear has long since wandered back to the fishing page.
Okay , my first gun cost $ 25.00 in 1970. But I see them sell for up to $400.00. Sorry but I don't see the relevance of gun prices much past 3 years ago. If this thread lasts long enough, you will also see trends as to specific brands far out numbering others. Information is always good , if you are prepared to find it. My advise to new hunters is to buy the best equipment they can afford , make sure the firearm fits well, and practise. You will also notice alot of higher end and customs. People new to the sport shouldn't feel undergunned with a savage 111 or remington 710 if they learn to shoot properly and know the limitations of themselves and their equipment. And maybe someday they may purchase a higher end gun. Knowing what I know now, I wish I had started buying Sako's and Tikka's 30 years ago instead of buying and selling 30 rifles that would shoot ok , but not exceptional. IMO.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:44 AM

Lee Enfield #5 Mk 1 Jungle Carbine....... $20.00

No scope, just a regular old open sight.

Deer is Dead...

need I say more?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:21 AM

Cal
The original post was worded "So what did you'all pay for your last rig ??? Centerfire, rimfire, shotgun , front stuffer, what ever "

So many of us answered with a response of what the latest rig cost, NOT what our 1st hunting rig cost.
I hear what you are saying though.
Maybe a thread with how much would it realistically cost to get a starter hunting rig should be posted for new folks wanting to get into hunting.
I can assure you long ago when I bought my 1st rifle it was not even in the same ballpark as my newest "toy" A Nemesis 50 cal rifle is a long stretch from a K98 military suplus Mauser that was my 1st hunting rifle. It cost me $9.00 in 1968 and I killed alot of game with it. Since then I have become a gun addict and have the pay grade now to afford the odd extravagant toy.
Would I suggest someone new into hunting to purchase a 50 as their 1st hunting rifle? NO! But then again I would not recommend a 710 to my worst enemy. A Savage package would be 1 option, personally I would opt for higher quality used, there is alot of good stuff on the used market, and higher quality holds value better than cheap junk ever will.

Make NO mistake hunting today is NOT a cheap sport. If 1 were to really work out the cost of putting Bambi in the freezer taking into account vehicle expenses of a hunt, butcher costs, tags, amortization of hunting gear, Safeway is a much cheaper option. AND you can take back the tough steaks should you shoot the grey moose by mistake

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 07-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solothurn View Post
Cal
The original post was worded "So what did you'all pay for your last rig ??? Centerfire, rimfire, shotgun , front stuffer, what ever "

So many of us answered with a response of what the latest rig cost, NOT what our 1st hunting rig cost.
I hear what you are saying though.
Maybe a thread with how much would it realistically cost to get a starter hunting rig should be posted for new folks wanting to get into hunting.
I can assure you long ago when I bought my 1st rifle it was not even in the same ballpark as my newest "toy" A Nemesis 50 cal rifle is a long stretch from a K98 military suplus Mauser that was my 1st hunting rifle. It cost me $9.00 in 1968 and I killed alot of game with it. Since then I have become a gun addict and have the pay grade now to afford the odd extravagant toy.
Would I suggest someone new into hunting to purchase a 50 as their 1st hunting rifle? NO! But then again I would not recommend a 710 to my worst enemy. A Savage package would be 1 option, personally I would opt for higher quality used, there is alot of good stuff on the used market, and higher quality holds value better than cheap junk ever will.

Make NO mistake hunting today is NOT a cheap sport. If 1 were to really work out the cost of putting Bambi in the freezer taking into account vehicle expenses of a hunt, butcher costs, tags, amortization of hunting gear, Safeway is a much cheaper option. AND you can take back the tough steaks should you shoot the grey moose by mistake

True for many people hunting is more expencinve than buying meat but depending on your situation it can make sense. Although the startup cost was high I havnt spent much on hunting since. Where I live I can litteraly begin hunting at the edge of town so if I keep my hunting to weekends and evenings and dont buy a bunch of gear I come out ahead. I dont spend alot on gas money so the only thing that puts me in the minus is lost wages when I take time off work but even then its probably one of the more economical vacations one can take.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:57 AM

If I figured out the cost of my last pheasant hunt, I'd likely have a stroke!!
it's not about cheap meat for me though, it's about fun.....
Cat
Old 07-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Is there a detachable bipod you can put on and off your rifle fairly quickly without screws, etc.???
Old 07-08-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
The wife bought me a Remington VTR in .308 for Christmas. Rigged up with a Leupold Canadian scope rang in about $1500
A wife like that is definitley a keeper!!!