Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 PM

Default sighting in a rifle

i have been shooting a few times with my new rifle and i am making good groupings but i am having trouble adjusting my scope to get the groupings into the middle of a target. was wanting to know if there is a place i can take my rifle in and they can have it done for me. any other advice would be much apreciated
Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 PM

Zeroing the rifle must be done at the range, and it is best if done by the one who owns it.
My best advice is to try and contact someone here who lives near you and is accomplished enough to help you and show you how to shoot the rifle well , and how to adjust the scope .
However, if you have questions, feel free to ask, there are many on this board who can help with answers!
cat
Old 06-21-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Zeroing the rifle must be done at the range, and it is best if done by the one who owns it.
My best advice is to try and contact someone here who lives near you and is accomplished enough to help you and show you how to shoot the rifle well , and how to adjust the scope .
However, if you have questions, feel free to ask, there are many on this board who can help with answers!
cat
x2 on the above.

If you describe your results and technique it can probably be figured out here.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
x2 on the above.

If you describe your results and technique it can probably be figured out here.
Oh dear god don't do that......... Follow cats advice and find a good shooter to help you in person. If you follow the advice on here you will be 131 years old and still have only half of it done...............
Old 06-21-2010, 08:34 PM

And most of all, be sure to sight in your gun with the exact ammunition that you intend to hunt with.Even different loads using the exact same weight of bullet will not always have the same point of impact.Too many people use a cheap load to sight in,then go hunting with a higher end load without even bothering to check the point of impact.If you want to know where the point of impact will be at 300 yards,shoot your hunting load in your gun at 300 yards,trajectory charts are not always close enough to provide a clean kill at longer distances.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:56 PM

thanks for all the help! haha i sense a long day at the range coming up soon here
Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 PM

You have to have the rifle fit properly, and your own style down correctly before 'sighting in'. Otherwise you'll be chasing the point of impact around constantly, wondering why "the scope doesn't work" or why "this dang new rifle just isn't accurate as they said".

So first have the rifle fitted or adjusted properly to you (length of pull, comb/cheek height, and drop of butt [heel?] vs comb height). Then have someone who knows what they're doing set you up style-wise (bench or prone). Such things as 'natural point of aim' and 'correct cheek weld' should be well-understood. Then systematically sight in; maybe with help from the same guy who's coaching your style.

Once you've sighted in more or less correctly to 100 or 200 meters, work on your style for consistency and accuracy. Don't chase the zero around by adjusting the scope.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...239#Post216239
Old 06-21-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Oh dear god don't do that......... Follow cats advice and find a good shooter to help you in person. If you follow the advice on here you will be 131 years old and still have only half of it done...............
Well I dont know about that dean someone posted here a little while back about how they were aiming at bullseye and shooting off of there point of aim.

The poster then went on to say how he then tried to dial his crosshairs to the point of impact.

The exact opposite to what should have been done.

Elkhunter 11 corrected him.

The advice given was correct and what I would have posted if I had seen the thread in time.

I make sure my ring mounting holes are alighned, Lap my rings, Level my scope to the reciever and adjust my elevation accordingly to the range were I want my zero.

The windage Knobs on the last 4 scopes I have mounted are at zero.. never touched from the center of their adjustment range.

Yes I have watched some gun store mountings at the cost of 30-40$ to the customer...... 20 clicks this way and 30 clicks that way with a bore sighter is pretty funny in my opinion.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Well I dont know about that dean someone posted here a little while back about how they were aiming at bullseye and shooting off of there point of aim.

The poster then went on to say how he then tried to dial his crosshairs to the point of impact.

The exact opposite to what should have been done.

Elkhunter 11 corrected him.

The advice given was correct and what I would have posted if I had seen the thread in time.

I make sure my ring mounting holes are alighned, Lap my rings, Level my scope to the reciever and adjust my elevation accordingly to the range were I want my zero.

The windage Knobs on the last 4 scopes I have mounted are at zero.. never touched from the center of their adjustment range.

Yes I have watched some gun store mountings at the cost of 30-40$ to the customer...... 20 clicks this way and 30 clicks that way with a bore sighter is pretty funny in my opinion.
Lol

I was attempting to use exaggeration for comedic affect. Apparently I was unsuccessful.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
cat
X3
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Lol

I was attempting to use exaggeration for comedic affect. Apparently I was unsuccessful.
Nope totaly successful dean!!

I only once had a scope boresighted a gun shop quite a while ago when I was first getting more interested in the technical end of shooting and had the same results as the op... major frustration.

I had to read up on quite a bit of stuff till I actually found out how to do things like that before I realised the techniques mentioned above were just common sense.

It just seems to me some people seem intimidated when it comes to mounting scopes when its actually quite easy and for a little more money than some but not all gunshops charge for mounting and boresighting you could have a machinist make the tools for you and do it yourself.

I seem to have had the luck to have seen a few different shops mount and bore sight (I am guessing incorrectly as some folk swear by them) scopes for people and buddies.

Major turret movement and then out in the feild the POI is nowhere near the POA.

All for 10 min time and 30-40$
Old 07-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Default Sighting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probie View Post
i have been shooting a few times with my new rifle and i am making good groupings but i am having trouble adjusting my scope to get the groupings into the middle of a target. was wanting to know if there is a place i can take my rifle in and they can have it done for me. any other advice would be much apreciated
Probie, did you get this done and if you post your location maybe someone from that area could help you out.