Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-03-2010, 07:22 PM

Default Rem 770 Sportsman

I've got a Rem 770 Sportsman in 7mm Rem Mag. The bolt is sticky and doesn't seam to slide like my Tikka and Sako. I'm wondering if a good gunsmith would be able to get it working better.
Thanks
BB74
Old 07-03-2010, 07:42 PM

Don't take this the wrong way, but, the 770's and 710's are cheaply made rifles. The actions always have stuck on them, they never will take the place of your tikkas or sako's. To me the 770 and 710 are complete junk.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:07 PM

I know that now. You would think a brand such as Remington would have some better quality rifles than the 770. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:29 PM

They do have better quality than the 770. I can't believe they would put their name on those pieces of junk.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:10 AM

The 770 is an entry level gun and priced that way. It is really for the first time shooter who if they don't like the sport does not have 1500.00 sitting in the closed. The bolt slide is usually plastic, not much you can do to tweak it up.
BUT it does shoot and take game.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear74 View Post
I've got a Rem 770 Sportsman in 7mm Rem Mag. The bolt is sticky and doesn't seam to slide like my Tikka and Sako. I'm wondering if a good gunsmith would be able to get it working better.
Thanks
BB74
And it never will. Try some dry lubes to ease the movement - like molly.
No honest gunsmith on earth will accept to work on it, because it would be a waste of your money.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 PM

Having a Blue personality(analytical and detailed) I have to question your owning a Sako and TIKKA (rifles known to have smooth actions) and buying a 710 then questioning the smoothness of its action to the Sako's. HUH ???

OK, I bit on this one !!

Roebag
Old 07-06-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roebag View Post
Having a Blue personality(analytical and detailed) I have to question your owning a Sako and TIKKA (rifles known to have smooth actions) and buying a 710 then questioning the smoothness of its action to the Sako's. HUH ???

OK, I bit on this one !!

Roebag
Yeah, I question my sanity as well, looking back on it. I just wanted a rifle I could take to the mountains, and not worry about if it fell off a cliff or if it fell into a snow bank. But it would be nice if the bolt would slide a little smoother.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear74 View Post
....and not worry about if it fell off a cliff or if it fell into a snow bank.....
Spartans used to do that to the 710s of the day
Old 07-07-2010, 08:39 PM

I would suggest finding the biggest tree and wacking the 710/770 against it several times. It might make it shoot straight. Failing that, if you have a warranty, or bought it in the last thirty days, take it back to the seller and ask for a trade up, or buy-out.

The lower-end Remingtons have been well known for lack of quality control from the factory over the last 5 years. I have shot Rugers for the last 20 years ( I own five of them), and after doing a six month stint behind the gun counter last winter, I can say my next rifle will be a Tikka. I never once had a customer bring one back, or had any negative comments, but the lower-end Remingtons were a constant hassel.