Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-05-2010, 10:56 AM

Default Picking Ammo

Hey Gents

I hunt with a BLR in 308. When picking a bullet the only consideration that I really put in was did the gun like it. Accuracy was good so I went with it and I was equally happy because it was a cheaper version. Federal Ultra Shock.

Can someone point me to their favorite website or if you want to write out what else I need to be looking for in bullet performance. Bang flop on the only animal I pointed this gun at, so from that standpoint performance was everything that I could ask for. I did find the bullet in the chest cavity but it was broken up.

Outside of a dead animal what should I look for and expect from higher end/ higher quality bullets? Should the bullet remain intact? Should I expect even better accuracy?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank-you
Doodle
Old 07-05-2010, 11:13 AM

I wouldn't say you should expect better accuracy, these days even the cheapest hunting bullets can deliver exceptional accuracy. The premium stuff can hold together better, ie TSX, Partition, and any of the bondeds. It depends what your needs are, are you shooting big critters, or stuff that can eat you? If so I would vote in favor of penetration over expansion. It sounds like your current load is working for you, stick with it, and just practice more. In a 308 you could probably get excellent large game performance from a 150g TSX, where as you might want to use a 180g conventional bullet, and still not get as much penetration as the lighter bullet. Personally I don't see a big need for a premium bullet in a 308Win, for speeds over 3,000, then yes, but most 30 cal conventional bullets are designed around 308/06 velocities.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Default More Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I wouldn't say you should expect better accuracy, these days even the cheapest hunting bullets can deliver exceptional accuracy. The premium stuff can hold together better, ie TSX, Partition, and any of the bondeds. It depends what your needs are, are you shooting big critters, or stuff that can eat you? If so I would vote in favor of penetration over expansion. It sounds like your current load is working for you, stick with it, and just practice more. In a 308 you could probably get excellent large game performance from a 150g TSX, where as you might want to use a 180g conventional bullet, and still not get as much penetration as the lighter bullet. Personally I don't see a big need for a premium bullet in a 308Win, for speeds over 3,000, then yes, but most 30 cal conventional bullets are designed around 308/06 velocities.
Thanks Homesteader.

I currently use 150g bullets and while I don't seek out animals that can eat me I am in their back yard. I hunt Elk and when drawn I would be looking for Moose, although maybe I'll have a new toy by that time.

So while I may not need premium bullets (Good news) it may be advisable increase the weight. Is 165g enough of a jump? 180G seems like a big jump to me.

Really appreciate the advise.

Thank
Old 07-05-2010, 02:51 PM

I would prefer 180's, and keep your shots inside 250-300yds, Elk are tougher then Moose in my experience. With that said your 150's will still work, so obviously the 165s will also work. You also need to realize I've never shot an elk or a moose with a 308 you've got to watch out for us Armchair hunters, but I've shot them with 30-06, and bigger, althought I shot my first moose with a 30-30, and the second with a 303 they worked on a 50 & a 100yd shot just fine. So my opinion is #1 Shot placement Lungs/Heart #2 Proper impact velocity to match the bullet #3 Choose a reasonably powerful cartridge for the animal, of which your 308 is.

Also of note is your more economical loadings of 308 probably won't come in a 165g loading, only 150, and 180. Of those two, I'd go 180.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:11 PM

your on the right track Doodle. The first thing is accuracy. The better your rifle shoots , the more confidence you have in it and the better you will shoot as well. There are lots of factory loads offering premium bullets these days. If moose and especially elk are on the menue I would go with a premium 165 gr or 180 gr bullet if I was in your shoes. Barnes tsx or Nosler partitons if it was up to me. I stay away from bonded bullets and ballistic tip type bullets but that is a personal choice....Lots of guys on here will praise the bonded bullets and such. In the end it's what you decide is best for your needs that matters.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:41 AM

I found that my 308 BLR likes the 180 gr winchester silver tips. Most accurate factory ammo I have found for that rifle. Next in line are 168 gr Winchester Sepreme, ballistic silvertip. The moose and deer I have shot and seen shot with the ballistic silvertips had numerous pass throughs. (out of a 308 win) Exit wounds about the size of a ping pong ball.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:19 AM

Default Looks like it's time to hit the range again

I used to go to the range all the time but I find that I prefer the Archery range these days. While I appreciate the opportunity to go to a free range, Sibbald is quite depressing to go to.

Time to grab a couple of boxes and see what the old girl like the best.