Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-08-2010, 03:23 PM

Default Which Kind Of Muzzle Brake To Use

what type of muzzle brake has everyone found works the best to reduce felt recoil. Im going to have one installed on my 6.5-284 Norma-Savage 12 f class.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Banned

i wouldn't brake that one but if your in calgary get Henry Rempel to put one on for you, 160 bucks last one i got, that includes thread protector so you can run without and can't even tell barrel is threaded, makes my a7 .270 wsm feel like between 243 and 25-06, just shot my 300 win mag with his brake and was that ever nice....heavier gun than my a7 but recoil was so easy that i didn't even notice what it might compare to, it might even feel less than my a7
Old 07-08-2010, 05:29 PM

stinky, do you have a pic of your brake?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned

i knew that was coming, will dig one up and upload to the online album which is overful right now and i'm not paying more to upsize it....i can delete some more pics...i need to anyhow, so should have something up by end of night...
Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 PM

6.5, just wondering why you would want to install a muzzle brake on that gun?

Off topic, but was or F class orginally chambered in 6.5x284 Winchester?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 07-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Banned

NONE! everyone in your life will appreciate it.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
NONE! everyone in your life will appreciate it.
x2
Old 07-08-2010, 09:06 PM

personaly- i think the gill type is the best for all around usage.
out of the 3 i got that one is user friendly.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
6.5, just wondering why you would want to install a muzzle brake on that gun?

Off topic, but was or F class orginally chambered in 6.5x284 Winchester?
No I believe they were always chambered for the Norma specs.
To answer most of everyones questions, I prefer to be shooting this gun on a bipod and even with the gun being heavier than most after a few rounds at the range my shoulder still tends to get sore, and thats when the flinch starts kickin in. Also I like to see my impacts thru my scope. Having a brake would help keep the gun from shifting after its been fired.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 JUNKIE View Post
To answer most of everyones questions, I prefer to be shooting this gun on a bipod and even with the gun being heavier than most after a few rounds at the range my shoulder still tends to get sore, and thats when the flinch starts kickin in. Also I like to see my impacts thru my scope. Having a brake would help keep the gun from shifting after its been fired.
That is certainly your choice and good reason for a brake. As far as the best brake made i guess that would depend on what your exact needs are as far as size, weight reduction and noise. I know i was astounded last week when I was in Corlane's gun shop by the number of different types and sizes available today!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Banned

well then i say go for it, if you shoot far enough you'll see impacts anyhow, especially with that gun in that cartridge

here's Henry on my buggy whip barrel sako a7 270 wm

he turns them down on nice rounded angle to meet the barrel, and makes a perfect thread protector when you don't want it on, then you have to look real hard and close to find the seem where things join up

my 300 win mag which i don't have a picture of is a #5 countour barrel and similar but less dramatic angle down the much fatter barrel but looks just as good or better, i've seen them on true heavy barrels and they just run same diam from memory and look awesome

Henry won't be taking any guns until august as i have two to get to him (he'll be away) so after Aug 1 you can call him 272-8416 (403), you will like his prices!

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 07-09-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 JUNKIE View Post
Interesting. I tried my hand at F-Class this summer with a 6.5-284 cooper phoenix which is a lot lighter than the savage. For sure you cant see the bullet hit but 60 rounds was not punishing off the bipod. I was told by another competitor that brakes were not allowed in competition because of blast on the guys around you. However, if you can use it for other purposes and see the bullet hit, that is cool. That is one of the reasons I love a 222 on gophers. See the hit is half the fun.

Let us know how that rifle shoots. I have heard wonderful things about that new model. mine likes 142 SMK with R22. Going to try some R17. It did not like the Hybrid 100V

BTW, it was Henry who convinced me to try Fclass. It is very addictive and way too much fun. Avoid it at all costs or you will be having rifles built, spending weekends away from your family, and generally having too much fun!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:15 PM

thanks for your post's. So oddly enough I got my hands on a savage model 111 long range hunter chambered in 6.5-284 today and purchased it. So now I wont have to worry about a brake. Ive put the f-class up for sale on the buy sell forum. check it out if anyone is interested.