Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-25-2022, 12:59 PM

I’ve had no luck with Lund SSv and Lunds hull warranty. Two leaky hulls on 2 boats less than 10 years old. I found a Crestliner sportsman 16.7 will the walk through design that’s been bulletproof. My other boats are Princecraft and they are most definitely my favourite and my favourite hull design. Fast on plane and 1000kms of gravel they’ve never leaked a drop. I’d have a hard look at a Yukon BT or Resorted models.
Old 12-25-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
I’ve had no luck with Lund SSv and Lunds hull warranty. Two leaky hulls on 2 boats less than 10 years old. I found a Crestliner sportsman 16.7 will the walk through design that’s been bulletproof. My other boats are Princecraft and they are most definitely my favourite and my favourite hull design. Fast on plane and 1000kms of gravel they’ve never leaked a drop. I’d have a hard look at a Yukon BT or Resorted models.
i hear you on the leaky Lunds our 1650 rebel ss leaked the first year .was lucky to get it fixed under warranty .took all winter to get repaired.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:12 PM

Go 16' with a 40 HP and trailer. Save yourself the hassle of having to upgrade.
Been there..
A few comments.... a 14' with a 20HP is not portable. I know this because I just sold one. You will wreck your body trying to move and mount a 20 HP. I had a fancy motor handler. Its great for moving it around and loading it in the truck and storing it upright....but unfortunately it doesn't take it on and off the back of your boat.
I even had the auto boat loader and all but it was just too much hassle for me so I just ended up trailering it.
It worked good with one or 2 people but with 3 or more it was a slug. I think 12.5 mp is all I could get outta it with 3 people and gear.
You might think thats ok now but trust me, when you want to be able to move on the water that just doesn't cut it.
The boat was a 14' lund WC with a 20HP merc, power trim/elec start.
Old 12-28-2022, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Go 16' with a 40 HP and trailer. Save yourself the hassle of having to upgrade.
Been there..
A few comments.... a 14' with a 20HP is not portable. I know this because I just sold one. You will wreck your body trying to move and mount a 20 HP. I had a fancy motor handler. Its great for moving it around and loading it in the truck and storing it upright....but unfortunately it doesn't take it on and off the back of your boat.
I even had the auto boat loader and all but it was just too much hassle for me so I just ended up trailering it.
It worked good with one or 2 people but with 3 or more it was a slug. I think 12.5 mp is all I could get outta it with 3 people and gear.
You might think thats ok now but trust me, when you want to be able to move on the water that just doesn't cut it.
The boat was a 14' lund WC with a 20HP merc, power trim/elec start.
I can appreciate the fact that a 14' with 20hp wont be 'portable' but it would only need to be 'portable' 2 or 3 times a year and it will be staying in the water for a few days before loading it back up. The rest of the time it will be trailered.
Im willing to sacrifice in a few areas but being able to move the boat/motor without a trailer isnt one of them. I will never be unloading/loading by hand alone.

Also, a decent 16' and good 40hp motor is out of my price range this year.

I do appreciate you taking the time to give me input, as well as everyone else.

I will try to go and lift a motor on and off a boat before I actually make the purchase now though.

Thanks again
Old 12-29-2022, 10:00 AM

yes handling one is a good idea. Nothing more awkward than an outboard motor. Even with 2 people they are back killers to get on and off the transom. Throw in uneven ground and slippery rocks.
My back gets sore just looking at one... I won't even try it.

Good luck in your search.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:08 AM

I have a prince craft ongava in 12ft which is a Alaskan guide utility. It is actually rated for a 15 hrp motor and able to haul more weight. Not to many of these boat in 12 ft allow for 15 hrp motor which is what I have with it (mercury 4 stroke). Willing to sell boat and motor. Anybody interested just pm me. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2023, 01:31 PM

The Princecraft Ungava imo is the best 12 foot on the market. I own the same boat and highly recommend.
Old 01-03-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
I have a prince craft ongava in 12ft which is a Alaskan guide utility. It is actually rated for a 15 hrp motor and able to haul more weight. Not to many of these boat in 12 ft allow for 15 hrp motor which is what I have with it (mercury 4 stroke). Willing to sell boat and motor. Anybody interested just pm me. Thanks.
I just picked up a 15 hp for mine before Christmas, curios on what speeds your getting with yours?
Old 01-03-2023, 10:46 PM

Quote:
The Princecraft Ungava imo is the best 12 foot on the market. I own the same boat and highly recommend.
They are nice and light boats, seem to be very well built. Only issue I see is the 15" transom - A 20" transom like the SSV is better for heavier chop and bigger lakes - but if you are needing portable, and only do small water or fair weather - looks like a great little boat (and under 200lbs).
Old 01-04-2023, 09:51 AM

I can’t think of any 12 foot with a 20 transom. My pick for 12 is Ungava and Lund WC. Not very portable though as both are heavy.
OP, check out StarCraft and Smokercraft Alaskan models. I fished out of one last summer and was impressed with the floor layout (walk through) and the size of these boats. I can’t speak to their quality but the size and layout is impressive.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I just picked up a 15 hp for mine before Christmas, curios on what speeds your getting with yours?
Fast enough to make it hop out of the water. I love ripping around in a 12 footer with some muscle behind it. I ran Johnson 15 hp on 12 footers my whole life till I got into bigger boats. Went everywhere the big boys went. Reading water and having some weight up front are important. I used an electric as well. Excellent fishin rig very portable but fast as well
Old 01-04-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I’m a big guy and with one other person it rips really good. With 3 people it will not plain and more or less just pushes the water but it still goes ok. Iam not positive on the speed with both situations.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I can’t think of any 12 foot with a 20 transom. My pick for 12 is Ungava and Lund WC. Not very portable though as both are heavy.
OP, check out StarCraft and Smokercraft Alaskan models. I fished out of one last summer and was impressed with the floor layout (walk through) and the size of these boats. I can’t speak to their quality but the size and layout is impressive.
My friend has the smoker craft in Alaskan in 12ft with floor and awesome layout. It’s heavy boat but stable in rough water as is the ongava but the ongava is much less heavy to flip over onto tub trailers for quad in lakes. I wouldn’t get the Lund it would be smokercraft or ongava for me if you are doin this kind of fishing. Having a 12ft that rates 15 hp motors is the only way to go. 10hp with 2 guys and gear you don’t go anywhere and with 2 guys with no gear you will be the last boat getting to the hot spot and still not go anywhere.