Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-29-2022, 12:28 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well we are on them, lost four got two just gonna hunker down here!
110 fow banging bottom with a white tube jig and a minnow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-29-2022, 12:31 PM

Smediums but at least we are catching!!!

Old 01-29-2022, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Well we are on them, lost four got two just gonna hunker down here!
110 fow banging bottom with a white tube jig and a minnow.

I new I should have used my heavy duty reel like yours when we were there the other weekend, I nailed a monster who I got up to the bottom of the ice but it would not cooperate with getting its head up and would blast sideways. This was honestly the biggest fish I ever had on my line, I was so excited and then bam it pops off and gone... this is where I notice that my reel is busted, it put so much pull that my ice fishing reel got destroyed... I was shocked the rod held up since it was bent at times right over... but atleast I can say I had a trout bust my reel..

And yes I am still crying myself to sleep to this day over not being able to land it.... Might cry more when I have to explain to the wife that I need to buy another reel...
Old 01-30-2022, 06:20 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveClown View Post
I new I should have used my heavy duty reel like yours when we were there the other weekend, I nailed a monster who I got up to the bottom of the ice but it would not cooperate with getting its head up and would blast sideways. This was honestly the biggest fish I ever had on my line, I was so excited and then bam it pops off and gone... this is where I notice that my reel is busted, it put so much pull that my ice fishing reel got destroyed... I was shocked the rod held up since it was bent at times right over... but atleast I can say I had a trout bust my reel..

And yes I am still crying myself to sleep to this day over not being able to land it.... Might cry more when I have to explain to the wife that I need to buy another reel...
This reel has history....it was my dads he bought it in the early 70’s for salmon fishing, bottom fishing out in the west coast.
He handed me all his gear and I simply couldn’t pass up on cleaning this old gem up and putting it to use, Penn Mono 25, spooled it with 30lb fluorocarbon and sits on a heavy action wide eye rode....I call it the fish winch

I got lighter stuff too but this is just a classic and feels good in the hand....and if that fish of a lifetime shows up well it I see in trouble

Old 01-30-2022, 09:23 AM

Slow day for us yesterday trying new spot. First holes we drilled only had 10” of ice so be careful. Fished 42 and out to 88ft , definitely not my comfort depths ! Had 8 hits , lost 2 and landed 4 , son and I each got 2. Good average though , 70, fat 74, 76 and a 79. Very few chasers , all fish were caught on bottom.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:50 PM

Just went and seen Dean at Boardwalk Bait and Tackle as the wife wanted a rod with bigger eyelets etc
Well no shortage of supplies there and Kim Grey (bait,tackle and more)was there swapping fishing stories too!!!
Cashed in on great fishing items and intel on what the lake is going.
If you want to fish this lake and need a place to stay, gear, etc two places I highly recommend to stop at.
Well hear is all ready to go for another outing tomorrow!
Tight lines and be safe out there.

Old 01-30-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Just went and seen Dean at Boardwalk Bait and Tackle as the wife wanted a rod with bigger eyelets etc
Well no shortage of supplies there and Kim Grey (bait,tackle and more)was there swapping fishing stories too!!!
Cashed in on great fishing items and intel on what the lake is going.
If you want to fish this lake and need a place to stay, gear, etc two places I highly recommend to stop at.
Well hear is all ready to go for another outing tomorrow!
Tight lines and be safe out there.

I wanted to check the tackle shop in town out, but we just ran out of time while we were up. Hopefully the military allows for a second netting on Primrose this winter...I want to pick up some more sucker belly up from Kim when I'm up in March. Tight lines tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I wanted to check the tackle shop in town out, but we just ran out of time while we were up. Hopefully the military allows for a second netting on Primrose this winter...I want to pick up some more sucker belly up from Kim when I'm up in March. Tight lines tomorrow.

Ya you were on a mission to get out on the lake and wet a line, exciting on a new body of water with so much potential to land a gooder.
Sorry to say but you will be back as this is an addiction and your addicted.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:21 PM

Just finished my third time up at Cold Lake. Had a great three day trip with my Dad where we landed 41 Lakers. Fished 80-130ft. Thursday the fish were most active around 80ft and the deadsticks were going off all day. On Friday we found them out in 130ft and had only two hits on the iFish Pros all day, but they were chasing 2-4” swimbaits, hair jigs and spoons like crazy. On Saturday presentations had to be slowed right down but hair jigs and swimbaits tipped with a small piece of sucker meat pounded on the spot just above bottom was the ticket to trigger bites. As soon as we tried to instigate a chase by reeling they’d lose interest and slide back down to the bottom. Compared to past trips we caught and marked far less suspended fish.
The quality of fish was great this year, we got several that were in the 28-30” range.

The highlight of the trip was this 35 1/4” laker I caught while jigging a 4” swimbait. Saw chase the lure up and down 3 times before it finally hit. By far my biggest laker ever and the most challenging fight I’ve had with a fish through the ice. The line guides on my rod froze up and had to be cleared mid fight. Just a gorgeous thick and healthy fish. Got a quick measurement and couple pictures before sending her back.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:16 PM

Beauty colours on that laker. Nice to see her going back. Nice job.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Ya you were on a mission to get out on the lake and wet a line, exciting on a new body of water with so much potential to land a gooder.
Sorry to say but you will be back as this is an addiction and your addicted.

See you in March.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brovacs View Post
Just finished my third time up at Cold Lake. Had a great three day trip with my Dad where we landed 41 Lakers. Fished 80-130ft. Thursday the fish were most active around 80ft and the deadsticks were going off all day. On Friday we found them out in 130ft and had only two hits on the iFish Pros all day, but they were chasing 2-4” swimbaits, hair jigs and spoons like crazy. On Saturday presentations had to be slowed right down but hair jigs and swimbaits tipped with a small piece of sucker meat pounded on the spot just above bottom was the ticket to trigger bites. As soon as we tried to instigate a chase by reeling they’d lose interest and slide back down to the bottom. Compared to past trips we caught and marked far less suspended fish.
The quality of fish was great this year, we got several that were in the 28-30” range.

The highlight of the trip was this 35 1/4” laker I caught while jigging a 4” swimbait. Saw chase the lure up and down 3 times before it finally hit. By far my biggest laker ever and the most challenging fight I’ve had with a fish through the ice. The line guides on my rod froze up and had to be cleared mid fight. Just a gorgeous thick and healthy fish. Got a quick measurement and couple pictures before sending her back.
Awesome fish...congrats. I found swimbaits to be the ticket as well a couple of weeks ago, although we didn't have anywhere near the action you and your Dad did. It sounds like it's pretty slow up there still, so good on you guys for figuring out a pattern that worked and tweaking it to stay on the fish.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:45 AM

That's a dandy Brovacs nice work.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
That's a dandy Brovacs nice work.

Awesome fish!

Well done.

Well we are getting dumped on winds blowing 50 clicks and about 6 inches of snow and still coming down.

Got a feeling the quad will be used for the remainder of the season.

Forecasted for more snow Friday/Saturday so if your heading up this way and got a sled I would bring it!

Old 01-31-2022, 03:48 PM

Anything bigger than a half ton driving on the lake yet
Old 01-31-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Anything bigger than a half ton driving on the lake yet
Every size truck driving on the lake currently but after this snow today, you'll wanna be extra careful. People were already getting stuck prior to this snowfall in spots and this just made it 10x worse. Also ice thickness varies drastically depending on what part of the lake you go to.

Cheers
Old 01-31-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
Every size truck driving on the lake currently but after this snow today, you'll wanna be extra careful. People were already getting stuck prior to this snowfall in spots and this just made it 10x worse. Also ice thickness varies drastically depending on what part of the lake you go to.

Cheers
Was kinda wanting to head out to east of the hatchery and fish west of the island
Old 01-31-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Was kinda wanting to head out to east of the hatchery and fish west of the island
You may be playing with fire for either of those spots. Ice conditions from english bay extending to the north side is very risky. Ice is thinner and flood water all over those areas. If you have machines you're fine, truck is basically a liability IMO.
Old 01-31-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
You may be playing with fire for either of those spots. Ice conditions from english bay extending to the north side is very risky. Ice is thinner and flood water all over those areas. If you have machines you're fine, truck is basically a liability IMO.
Well may have to fish French bay then, just checked the provincial snow fall data fir cold lake. It says no snow there since the 24th.

Last edited by Jims83cj5; 01-31-2022 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Well may have to fish French bay then, just checked the provincial snow fall data fir cold lake. It says no snow there since the 24th.
Not true, we have had snow since and just got dumped on again over 6” and very high winds so there will be drifting especially over the snow roads that have been formed over the last week or so.
There is a layer of crust then snow on top so just ensure you have good tires, four wheel drive and pick spots where you stop not on a drifted area.
I have been all over French bay, garnet, out to the hump and seen good solid ice 12” or more in these areas....good luck!

Old 01-31-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
There is a layer of crust then snow on top so just ensure you have good tires, four wheel drive and pick spots where you stop not on a drifted area.
And pay attention for the smell of cooking tranny fluid. lol.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Not true, we have had snow since and just got dumped on again over 6” and very high winds so there will be drifting especially over the snow roads that have been formed over the last week or so.
I have been all over French bay, garnet, out to the hump and seen good solid ice 12” or more in these areas....good luck!
I have a dually one ton lol, not sure 12” is enough
Old 02-01-2022, 06:02 AM

Not lookin good unless a person has sled.

Last edited by Jims83cj5; 02-01-2022 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
And pay attention for the smell of cooking tranny fluid. lol.
Yeah funny how the majority of manufactured trucks say off road, etc but they are made to get you out of your driveway, put them through 30 minutes or more of working in deep crusted snow and they start to stink!

I think when we head out this week I will take the quad and tow the sled....ohhh which reminds me to order our knew BRP Skandic SWT and a few accessories too

No more farting around

Gotta cover all bases of ice fishing in comfort.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:22 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Not lookin good unless a person has sled.
Or quad....but you can go off the marina, Provincial park and walk out 200 yards or so and be in prime laker territory too.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:44 AM

You’re not going anywhere with a dually. Period
Old 02-01-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
ohhh which reminds me to order our knew BRP Skandic SWT and a few accessories too

No more farting around
I think I'm going to go with Expeditions. I don't hunt so I don't really need the pogo front end to get through the tight stuff. Just waiting for the 2023's to be released to snow check a pair.

Was thinking if I can't drive on in March, I'll probably just walk out north of the PP. The lack of mobility will likely hurt, but hopefully the fishing is better to make up for it. Lots of good structure to fish there too.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:55 AM

Tire chains will get you there
Old 02-01-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
Tire chains will get you there
I do have chains for the dually. Also have jeep Sahara I spoke I could bring, no chains for it tho
Old 02-01-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I do have chains for the dually. Also have jeep Sahara I spoke I could bring, no chains for it tho
I'd stuff the jeep full of gear, if ice travel is questionable due to snow depth then walking out is an option which will get you to an area with structure/lakers.

short walking areas, french bay MD boat launch, PP boat launch, Marina, English bay.

after the tournament February 18-20, and no more snow there will be well packed trails/ice roads guaranteed.