Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2018, 09:27 PM

Default Does The Fishin’ Hole price match?

I’m not a fan of buying at big box when I can get better service at a smaller local store. That being said, Cabelas has quite a few of their fly lines on sale currently, while The Fishin’ Hole doesn’t have much on sale at all that I’m looking for, everything I want is full price. I’d prefer to buy there, but I’m in the market for 4 new lines and at a difference of an average of $40 off per line, that adds up.

Now, I’m not cheap at heart, and by no means interested in nickel and diming them, however I did just order 2 new reels from them with spare spools to the tune of over $1500 total, so they have gotten the lion’s share of my business. Just not going to bother asking if I risk offending, or wasting my time for a certain no. I’ll just go to big box instead.

Input?
Old 07-26-2018, 10:35 PM

Most of the time they will price match as long as a local location has stock(Edmonton North or South Cabelas has to have the fly line you want). That means they usually have to look up the prices online and then might have to phone tot confirm stock.

The one exception is blowout prices. If Cabelas is blowing something out at say 75% off then they won't price match. They pretty much refuse to sell anything for a loss, even to employees(I tried lol).

They also won't match online deals, only locally available items.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:48 AM

The southside store has never been willing to do it for me. I'm all for supporting the local guys but if I can get a much better deal else wear.....

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-27-2018, 08:21 AM

Cabelas blow out prices can be crazy sometimes. If you do most of your business supporting local, then I see no issue snagging a great deal. Could be worth a call though

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2018, 08:31 AM

I was never a guy to chisel the vendor to match a price. I like to support the local guys as much as I can, and won't dicker over a few bucks.

If I feel or know I can save substantially then I might go across town to the big box store and make my purchase. But I always weigh my time factor into the equation. If I decide it's worth my time then I go to where my wallet takes me.

BW
Old 07-27-2018, 06:27 PM

In short price matching is only supporting local business if they still are making a profit.

I like to support The Fishin' Hole but if I see a sale somewhere for 30+% off on something I want I will just go buy it rather then trying to get them to price match. Sure they might make a few bucks if I went there instead but if you factor in the time and overhead costs as well as the hassle they aren't really making any money and are just depleting stock they would probably otherwise sell for a profit.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. I wouldn't bother to be honest, coming from Beaumont to the West side store where I want to go, I actually drive right by Cabelas to get there, so I'm actually going out of my way to make it happen. However, I DO want to go to their store anyways to look for some other stuff so was hoping to just bring the reels and spools with me and get them to string them up with backing and line while I'm shopping. However, after spending a mint with them online on the reels and spools, I don't also want to pay a premium on the 4 lines, nor do I feel the obligation to, if they can be had elsewhere for ~$70/each vs $100/$110 each at the store.

I do agree that if they aren't actually in stock at big box, then there should be no price match. If I can't actually go buy it cheaper, why should they have to match? Makes sense to me.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:39 PM

Why wouldn't you just call them?