Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-18-2009, 12:33 AM

Default question on regs

i know it used to apply that if you were metis and had your status card you didnt need a fishing liscence but still had to go by normal fishing regs..i know i heard it was up in court this last year and just wondering if anyone is aware of the laws on this..i was asked for my fishing liscence a couple years back by fish and wildlife and showed them my metis card and they had no issues with it..i know for hunting right now you need everything that anyone else would need..its just the fishing part that im a little unsure of
Old 12-18-2009, 01:57 AM

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/
Old 12-18-2009, 05:30 PM

straight from the reqs

Quote:
Sportfishing by Indians
Indians do not need an Alberta Sportfishing Licence or WIN card for general sportfishing. All sportfishing regulations must be followed. Indians are persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-18-2009, 05:33 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post
i know it used to apply that if you were metis and had your status card you didnt need a fishing liscence but still had to go by normal fishing regs..i know i heard it was up in court this last year and just wondering if anyone is aware of the laws on this..i was asked for my fishing liscence a couple years back by fish and wildlife and showed them my metis card and they had no issues with it..i know for hunting right now you need everything that anyone else would need..its just the fishing part that im a little unsure of
Metis have always required a licence to sportfish in Alberta. I'm guessing they just didn't want the hassle of charging you.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Metis have always required a licence to sportfish in Alberta. I'm guessing they just didn't want the hassle of charging you.
Ya its only registered status Indians that don't have to buy a license. Metis are not included in that. I actually saw a guy last year get warned to buy a license because he assumed that his metis card was good enough.