Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-22-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
If we cut the allocations for draw tags Alberta outfitters would still have Whitetails, Sheep, Wolves, Black Bear, Elk, Cougar, Game Birds - if I'm missing any feel free to chime in...

Is that so bad?

Not if you are in one of the zones where all those species tags aren’t general.

Asking an outfitter that question misses the point entirely that this is in some cases their livelihood. Maybe it’s not their primary job but I guarantee you it’s income they depend on. And none of us here would feel respected if some stranger came up to us, took a away our side hustle we’ve built up over years of hard work, and asked “isn’t the other job you work enough?”

Outfitters are just doing what government allows them too. The rhetoric and questions plain and simple should be directed at government to get their ducks in a row, do the 5 yr survey and readjust the quotas. That way outfitters can readjust their business plans and do what any of us would, which is go on making an honest living.

Push to change the regs etc. But don’t expect outfitters to support it. And why should they? No one who works in oil supports any plans or climate initiatives that cut back or kill oil. It’s no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2022, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_charlie View Post
Not if you are in one of the zones where all those species tags aren’t general.

Asking an outfitter that question misses the point entirely that this is in some cases their livelihood. Maybe it’s not their primary job but I guarantee you it’s income they depend on. And none of us here would feel respected if some stranger came up to us, took a away our side hustle we’ve built up over years of hard work, and asked “isn’t the other job you work enough?”

Outfitters are just doing what government allows them too. The rhetoric and questions plain and simple should be directed at government to get their ducks in a row, do the 5 yr survey and readjust the quotas. That way outfitters can readjust their business plans and do what any of us would, which is go on making an honest living.

Push to change the regs etc. But don’t expect outfitters to support it. And why should they? No one who works in oil supports any plans or climate initiatives that cut back or kill oil. It’s no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't expect outfitters to support it, lol why would they? I've had this talk around the camp fire with friends that outfit and trust me it's not a pleasant conversation. Frankly I suspect to be a few friends and maybe even some family light over this as time goes on but I believe that changes need to be made. I'll hold my head up high no matter what.

Life is a tough one and trying to make everyone happy and compromise all the time is a sure fire way to ensure nothing actually happens.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
For the most part ,I agree but I would really like to know what is meant by the "need and support" thing.
Seems to me the Alberta economy wouldn't even blink if the whole darn works of that industry were elminated. Right now our Big Game hunting opportunities are on a steep decline and will continue to be until they barely exist. Those who are in the Entertainment business of fulfilling hunting opportunities for non-residents in a Province that is experiencing rapid declines in nearly every area, are accelerating this scenario.
Most Outfitters are not totally reliant on their BG Allocations to make a living anyway. I'll bet over 80% of them have other careers that contribute most of thier annual income. To them, Outfitting is simply a glorified hobby, and with many of thier allocations owned by Non resident alien clients

Having said that, eliminating those who currently earn less than 80 % of thier annual income from Outfitting related sources make sense under the existing circumsatances. Plus, it makes it easier for all Residents,including Landowners, (who pay the bills to maintain the resource). Any Allocations, currently owned by Non resident aliens (which are many) should also be eliminated.

Thats the way I've seen it since the 80's and it sure as heck isn't getting any better.
This is exactly it. I have a neighbor who is a "hobby" outfitter/farmer. He does his best to try and run everyone off the land in the area for his own interests. He tries running people off land aggressively that isn't his either. His family members do the same thing and guess what they happen to have landowner tags as well. As far as I'm concerned this type of outfitter is the worst/ most selfish kind. They seem to have this air of entitlement to them that hunting is for them and no one else. I know neighboring farmers who have landowner tags every year as well and wont let others hunt. Its a flawed system all around. Saskatchewan has it right with exception to the lottery type draw system.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
If we cut the allocations for draw tags Alberta outfitters would still have Whitetails, Sheep, Wolves, Black Bear, Elk, Cougar, Game Birds - if I'm missing any feel free to chime in...

Is that so bad?
It would only be bad for those making a living from outfitting those animals I guess, to them it would be very bad.

Moose and Mule Deer are the biggest selling hunts in Alberta besides Sheep. Bears are everywhere and are getting tougher to sell, our whitetails aren’t even close to what they once were and everywhere else is cheaper to hunt and run. There’s 28 cougar allocations total and the US already has 50 times the cat hunting opportunity we do.

Moose and Mule Deer are still in demand because they’re limited everywhere, so yes, that would be very bad to lose those animals
Old 01-23-2022, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop View Post
This is exactly it. I have a neighbor who is a "hobby" outfitter/farmer. He does his best to try and run everyone off the land in the area for his own interests. He tries running people off land aggressively that isn't his either. His family members do the same thing and guess what they happen to have landowner tags as well. As far as I'm concerned this type of outfitter is the worst/ most selfish kind. They seem to have this air of entitlement to them that hunting is for them and no one else. I know neighboring farmers who have landowner tags every year as well and wont let others hunt. Its a flawed system all around. Saskatchewan has it right with exception to the lottery type draw system.
What did F&W and APOS say when you reported him ?
Old 01-23-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I doubt they would do anything, except maybe chat with the outfitter, its your word against theirs unless you have recorded the encounter and can prove the location.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I doubt they would do anything, except maybe chat with the outfitter, its your word against theirs unless you have recorded the encounter and can prove the location.
Hard to believe in this day and age Outfitters are running around chasing people off land they don’t own and nobody thought to take out a phone and record it.

But I can tell 30 stories about my cousin Ted’s neighbour who’s sister owns land near an outfitter and that guy is a real problem. I don’t know his name but I’ve heard some things. They didn’t tell anybody because it won’t do any good !!!
Old 01-23-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
He has been reported in the past. Kind of get discouraged when
Nothing gets done. There are three outfitters in my direct area. One out of three outfits doesn't have a bad wrap. Puts a bad taste in my mouth. I know there are good ones out there as well but once bitten twice shy.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Hard to believe in this day and age Outfitters are running around chasing people off land they don’t own and nobody thought to take out a phone and record it.

But I can tell 30 stories about my cousin Ted’s neighbour who’s sister owns land near an outfitter and that guy is a real problem. I don’t know his name but I’ve heard some things. They didn’t tell anybody because it won’t do any good !!!
Lol. So true.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
There should be no non-resident tags for any species that residents have to wait more than 3 years to get drawn for.
Landowner tags should only be non-trophy.
To those that are concerned about this, please email the environment minister. They are reviewing the regulations as we speak. The emails, the better the chances
Old 01-24-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
There should be no non-resident tags for any species that residents have to wait more than 3 years to get drawn for.
Landowner tags should only be non-trophy.
Quote:
To those that are concerned about this,y please email the environment minister. They are reviewing the regulations as we speak. The emails, the better the chances
Biting the hand that feeds you is not going to end well for anyone.... You are so hung up on the landowner permits you fail to realize any benefit.

Issuing the antlered permits to landowners allows for better management of the species, removing more of the breeding populations actually will INCREASE wait times... So because your have a hate on for these permits you advocate for longer wait times as your jealous or just missing the big picture.

Please tell me what benefit does any Alberta land owner have to increase habitat, allow access to strangers all while paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for these parcels of land ?

Imagine a our province where these landowners don't allow access... A stinky mule deer here and there really isn't a problem, but not having these lands to chase say Antelope, Elk, Moose, Pheasants, Geese, Ducks, ext is not what I want the future generations to be left with.

I can send you some MLS listings where your more than welcome to come aboard and buy some land and see how challenging these people have it.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:55 PM

Here's a couple contacts to email if you want your voice to have a better chance to be heard on the upcoming outfitter allocations review(that expired in 2017).

More opportunities for residents in the future won't be possible unless the government is held accountable for enforcing the 10% maximum on outfitter allocations. As can be seen from the info in this thread, this definitely isn't happening in a lot of WMU's currently.

Don't be afraid to voice your opinion/frustration in your emails on the outfitter allocations review being 5 years overdue either....

Jason Nixon
Minister Of Environment And Parks
Rimbey.RockyMountainhouse.Sundre@assembly.ab.ca

Kim Morton
Manager, Provincial Wildlife Policy
Kim.Morton@gov.ab.ca