Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2021, 07:43 PM

Default Looking for help for first time fishing in AB

Hi everyone,

sorry in advance if I haven't found some old thread about this question. I've moved to Alberta from the EU almost 2 years ago and really wanted to try out some fishing. I live in Calgary and thought the easiest way to start would be shore fishing, probably at Glenmore Reservoir. I was hoping to catch some trout that I could bring back home and cook. Even one would be awesome.

I know the regulations on what you can keep and what you need to release. What I struggle with is common fishing gear names and knowledge to start with.

I wanted to ask if you could help me with a list of things I need to start fishing, and just the names of the items will help me to google them and understand what they are (ie. spoon - I'd never be able to think what that is in fishermen terms if someone would have not told me that).

So looking to get a fishing rod with a reel (potentially some budget-friendly to start at Canadian Tire), would be great to know what line to get, and if it matters. Also, what to use for lake shore fishing for trout (I know live bait is not everywhere allowed), potentially "spinning fishing" or whatever you call it here would be ideal, as that is a bit more fun to me than still fishing plus I have no clue how to fly fish either.

Hope you can give me some advice! Appreciate it in advance!

Mins

Tags
first time fishing, first timer, fishing, fishing gear, newbie