Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-20-2011, 09:33 AM

Default New Jiffy or Eskimo Ice Auger

What would you buy new? I've only had a Jiffy (about 24 years old). What would you buy new?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:46 AM

Bought a Jiffy 2 yrs ago no complaints
Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 AM

My son has a jiffy and it runs rough to say the least.I have an Eskimo mako and it runs like a charm..
Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 AM

either or really. at this point it comes down to personal preference...... If it means anything to you, according to TFH, Eskimos have been outselling the jiffys BIG TIME this year. I often notice that the new eskimos seem to be a bit cheaper too.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:42 AM

If you have had a jiffy for 24 years, why not stick with the same brand? I'm not sure if there would be that much difference between the 2 as long as you compare similar models between the Eskimo or Jiffy.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 AM

My preference is Jiffy...2 hp... i have seen the 3 hp run rough at times, but have never had a problems with my 2 hp's

I've had 2 of them in the past 20 + yrs, first one still runs but went halfers with a buddy that past away and i boxed it up for his son when he gets older.
I noticed the newer one is built a little cheaper than the old girl, but then again what isn't now adays.

Anyways, the jiffy has NEVER failed me on the ice...knock on wood
Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 AM

I bought a 10" mako a few years ago and my choice came down to 3 factors over the jiffy. 1,The price is quite a bit cheaper, 2,unless jiffy has changed the auger is 36" vs eskimo at 42" but 3, mostly the reviews. If you look at them with the exception of the stingray, the eskimos are almost all excellent, but the jiffy reviews are frequently split, either excelent or horrible at almost a 50/50 split, which seams to point to quality control issues. Another note is that eskimos parent company ardisam has the viper engines designed and built for specific aplications as opposed to just buying engines from a small engine manufacturer which might be the reason for the seemingly better quality control without the higher price.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:11 PM

bought my first gas auger last year, an eskimo for about $250 new. Absolutely nothing bad to say about it. Started on 2nd pull first time out this year, cut an 8" hole through a foot of ice in less than 10 seconds, very light also. Highly recommend it. As for jiffy, never used one, so can't comment, but for the price, i think eskimo is great.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:41 PM

I can only comment on the Eskimo. Bought the Shark Z51 last year and it's been great. Started up on 3 pulls first time this year. Use Opti 2 Oil in it.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:59 PM

Last January I picked up an ooooold Eskimo IceStorm 33 () and actually I just dug it out of the garage about 45 minutes ago. Put in some fresh gas, primed it until there was gas in the ball, choked it, and she started in 2 pulls. I can't complain about that. If this thing ever dies I'll definitely be looking at a new Eskimo...but I honestly don't see this auger dying for a long time

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-20-2011, 08:41 PM

When I was searching for an auger a couple of years ago I found a forum member who was selling a never used Jiffy Model 30 so I went with the tried and true.

I had to adjust the carb to get it working well but since then I have been very happy. I expect the auger to last as long as I do.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 PM

My opinion, do not buy a newer Jiffy with the china motor. Mine is 2 yrs old, will not run without the choke partially on, non adjustable carburator hard to start when colder than -15C, my auger tines bent easily when it was stuck and i had to wiggle it free, plastic and very noisy gearbox, have to constantly de-ice the special non iceable cutters, the plastic shrouding broke easily when used in my tobbagan behind my snowmobile, the throttle cable does not return when cold outside.(worse thing is their warranty has little value and the company is full of bs)
1)warranty is of little value - took it in because it would not run without the choke on, Jiffy doesnt pay for carburator adjustments, and their carburator is non adjustable except for idle speed. the carburator is adjusted for a totally different sea level so how can it run properly other than where its set for. (i had to work on it myself, had to gouge out hard melted plastic or epoxy to adjust a needle that is set into the throttle adjuster lever on the carb, i took off my carb to do this and noticed my piston is already scored after only running it 2x. yes i had proper amount of oil mixed in with the gas. to meet emmisions they recomend very little oil and run these things lean, hense the need for the choke to be on all the time)
2)the company is full of BS - they say its an american engineered motor built in China. i also have a Rapela with a viper 43cc power head and i fella i know has a Eskimo with a 72cc power head. the motors are identical other than the cc size, they found a chinese factory that makes these motors and ordered them with their plastics and colors and what size of motors they wanted. even the pull start on my rapela fits on my jiffy. its called maxamise profits. the new ones will not be around after 20 years like the old ones. my Jiffy was $600 canadian my Rapela was $299. Jiffys price does not represent the true value of these machines any more.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 PM

I've had my Jiffy 3HP 10" for 3 years now. Never had one problem. I love it and would not consider anything else. I drain the gas every fall and only use premium fuel. Don't be cheap and use regular fuel. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! I've never had an Eskimo so I can't compare. I'm heading out tomorrow to try and fill my bucket with some jumbo Perch.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Banned

I'm looking at a gas auger too, I can see drilling holes with a manual auger is going to lose it's charm pretty quick. There is one eskimo for about $300 at the fishing hole, may check that one out.

It's too easy to spend money on fishing.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:17 AM

Eskimo all the way. Check costco, they have a green auger that looks just like the eskimo $290.00
Old 12-21-2011, 07:56 AM

Both of these have had their problems. I think that you either get a good one or you don't with these. I have been happy with my Jiffy so far. The Eskimo's have had problems with some of the plastics breaking and the pull start mechanisms falling apart. The Jiffy's have had issues with poor starting and plastics breaking as well.

If you really want to change it up and don't mind spending the cash,consider getting a Husqvarna. If I needed a new auger,that's what I'd look at.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail77 View Post
What would you buy new? I've only had a Jiffy (about 24 years old). What would you buy new?

i ran a jiffy for about as long as you have before i retired her. as far as i know she will be resurrected again here shortly by another member soon and continue to drill. the old 30's were sweet rigs.

why not look into a strikemaster, that's what i went with a couple seasons ago. great units. runs and cuts beautiful and the weight factor is a big bonus. drilling is not so much a chore now as it was lugging the old jiffy around hole to hole. check them out.

Dace
Old 12-24-2011, 09:53 AM

My Mako 10" has been a great auger for the last 4 years. Only issue i have is that when i bought it the gas leaked, i think it is from one of the bolts that hold the tank in place. Tried to take it back to Wholesale but since it had gas in it they said too bad. More ****ed at WSS at the time then Eskimo. Anyways been a good auger and i would not hesitate to buy another one.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:25 PM

Too early for me to say it's my first season with Z71, so far I love it. When I was trying to decide Eskimo seemed to be a better $/quality ratio to me.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:08 PM

I have had my Jiffy model 30for about 15 years now and never had a problem. The only thing I have done to it is change the spark plug and clean it. I use good fuel and the jiffy oil. After every trip, the fuel is drained and run dry. My 10 inch auger does have it's disadvantages though. It is one of the heaviest on the market. As for starting, mine has sat out all night at -30c
and was coverd in frost. I primed it and it started on the 2nd pull. I see that the new ones have much more plastic and cables to stick in the cold weather.
The quality is not what it used to be.