Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 08:30 AM

Default Anyone in Edmonton with a borescope?

Is there anyone in Edmonton with a borescope that would be willing to peek down a rifle barrel? An incredible member of the forum gave my son a Model 70 that he thinks the barrel is shot out on. Before re-barreling, I want to eliminate other things it could be. If you have one and are able to help out, shoot me a pm. Thanks kindly.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:50 AM

You could buy a lyman borecam for about 350 dollars and inspect all your bores. I have one it is way better than some of the opinions i had read obout it on the internet but i wasnt going to spend 2000 dollars on a borescope. Resolution is good. I thought i might have trouble interpreting the image if contrast and colour were not that good but crbon is obviously black against the steel and copper looks like copper, pits and roughness in fine detail. Its great for cleaning you can see exactly what your cleaning process is doing.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:04 PM

Check the crown, use a proper copper solvent, and then shoot the rifle to see what you have. I have seen several cases where supposedly shot out barrels were badly fouled, had scope issues, or bedding issues.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:27 PM

Default Bore Scope

Most gunsmiths have a scope and will take a look for you. And, they can advise on a new barrel and all the sundry related details.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:02 PM

Thanks to both fellows that offered their help! Very interesting piece of equipment.

BTW, anyone who thinks Wipeout is not a good copper remover, I would beg to differ

Amazing the detail one can see with a $400 tool.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:59 AM

^^^ X's 2 for Wipe-out and the Wipe-out accelerator.

Just to easy to use.

Don
Old 10-18-2017, 10:57 AM

Amazon.ca has cameras that will look in a barrel for a lot less than $400 and work on your phone ,laptop or desk computer . The probe sizes go down to 6mm and have a light mounted to the probe.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Amazon.ca has cameras that will look in a barrel for a lot less than $400 and work on your phone ,laptop or desk computer . The probe sizes go down to 6mm and have a light mounted to the probe.
i have one of those.

it works best with a jag in front to reflect light

Old 10-18-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i have one of those.

it works best with a jag in front to reflect light

The photo shows a pic not comparable to the bore cam. Its looking down the bore instead of directly at it. Also its black and white and you cant tell anything except the rifling is still there
Old 10-18-2017, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
The photo shows a pic not comparable to the bore cam. Its looking down the bore instead of directly at it. Also its black and white and you cant tell anything except the rifling is still there
It's $10 and it is color
Old 10-18-2017, 02:04 PM

I like how they inspected rifle bores in the old days.

This might come in handy for those that like gun shows and don't gave access to a bore scope.

From Carl G.

Back in the old days we had to rely on our eye sight and hopefully there was enough light in the building so we could see down the bore.

Our attention was looking for rust, pits and worn out sections at the throat where the bullets get underway as well as the crown.

After a while we got better at it and some folks got really good at it.

As the years passed, we started bringing our flash lights and a few different shades of paper in the attempt to illuminate the in-sides of the bores.

Another good test was called the tight patch push,,, of coures this was done after the barrel was clean.
A nice full length constant push "could" show signs of a buldge in the barrel,,, most of those are "normally found closer to the chamber or part way up from there.

A well trained eye can pick those areas out some times.

We had to rely on what we learned, there was no other option back then.

The trick that worked for me Don was being able to own alot of rifles, buying and selling 1000's of them made me keen to this.

Trying different things with the cleaning rod,another old trick I learned was looking threw a set of binoculars backwards,,, they are the best stethoscopes we have. 100+ zoom power as it allowed us to carefully inspect the crowns of the rifles,,, always looking for cleaning rod nicks.

Practic a bit Don, you'll get good at it,,, like the fellow I learned from.

Its hard to foul the eye and hand that knows what its looking for, hopefully I can rely on you to help me when my eyes grow dim and the feel of percussion is lost.

The above ideas are from my long time friend Carl G.
He would be glad to share this him self, but age and harvest season has him occupied. LOL.

The hardest part of his day is getting out of bed,,, but once he's at it,,, the old dog dosen't rest till noon and when the sun goes down.

Good Harvesting all as we try our best to keep those old pipes in shape for yet another season.

Western Canada Don
Old 10-18-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
It's $10 and it is color
The lyman is probably grossly overpriced given what can be done today but its useful unlike the 10 dollar cam if that pic is what it can do. I would post pics the lyman has a memory card and can download but im not going to try to figure it out from the stupid keyboard although its probably not any stupider than could be expected nowadays
Old 10-18-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
I like how they inspected rifle bores in the old days.

This might come in handy for those that like gun shows and don't gave access to a bore scope.

From Carl G.

Back in the old days we had to rely on our eye sight and hopefully there was enough light in the building so we could see down the bore.

Our attention was looking for rust, pits and worn out sections at the throat where the bullets get underway as well as the crown.

After a while we got better at it and some folks got really good at it.

As the years passed, we started bringing our flash lights and a few different shades of paper in the attempt to illuminate the in-sides of the bores.

Another good test was called the tight patch push,,, of coures this was done after the barrel was clean.
A nice full length constant push "could" show signs of a buldge in the barrel,,, most of those are "normally found closer to the chamber or part way up from there.

A well trained eye can pick those areas out some times.

We had to rely on what we learned, there was no other option back then.

The trick that worked for me Don was being able to own alot of rifles, buying and selling 1000's of them made me keen to this.

Trying different things with the cleaning rod,another old trick I learned was looking threw a set of binoculars backwards,,, they are the best stethoscopes we have. 100+ zoom power as it allowed us to carefully inspect the crowns of the rifles,,, always looking for cleaning rod nicks.

Practic a bit Don, you'll get good at it,,, like the fellow I learned from.

Its hard to foul the eye and hand that knows what its looking for, hopefully I can rely on you to help me when my eyes grow dim and the feel of percussion is lost.

The above ideas are from my long time friend Carl G.
He would be glad to share this him self, but age and harvest season has him occupied. LOL.

The hardest part of his day is getting out of bed,,, but once he's at it,,, the old dog dosen't rest till noon and when the sun goes down.

Good Harvesting all as we try our best to keep those old pipes in shape for yet another season.

Western Canada Don
I would rather have a fortune teller tell me about my bore than some gunny old fart without a borescope
Old 10-18-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I would rather have a fortune teller tell me about my bore than some gunny old fart without a borescope
Yes totally agree since today's age offers all kinds of alternatives for inspecting bores,,, unfortunately they weren't around in the old days.

From what I was told... Ha
Old 10-18-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
The lyman is probably grossly overpriced given what can be done today but its useful unlike the 10 dollar cam if that pic is what it can do. I would post pics the lyman has a memory card and can download but im not going to try to figure it out from the stupid keyboard although its probably not any stupider than could be expected nowadays
You might be surprised at what those $10 cameras can do. But many prefer to pay much more for the same technology.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
The lyman is probably grossly overpriced given what can be done today but its useful unlike the 10 dollar cam if that pic is what it can do.
typically it's much better but i was holding a cleaning rod a camera and trying to take a screenshot at the time. it also has a 90 degree attachment

for what i need it works. i can pick out copper fouling, pitting, and check the throat of a rifle.