Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 08:45 PM

Default Wall tent cleaning?

I got an older wall tent. It’s in really good condition but it’s getting pretty stained and rough looking! How do you guys clean wall tents? I was thinking about just giving it a good pressure wash, but am worried that I will wash the water proofing out of it. Does tent and awning or similar place offer a cleaning service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2017, 10:13 PM

I've done exactly that with our wall tents. A good pressure wash from the inside, then from the outside and it will get quite a bit of that dirt and stains right out. Just be careful with the pressures if you have a high pressure model.

I usually leave the tent up for a few days to dry and then coat it with waterproofing spray using a herbicide sprayer. Usually put a ladder beside it and spray the top first and work my way down the sides.

We used to use linseed oil (mildew proofing) but purchased some product from Norseman last time around - worked pretty slick but was pricey.

Buy a cheap sprayer OR really clean it out - the stuff gums up the sprayer pretty good. I got tired of cleaning it out last time and ended up buying new nozzles.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:32 AM

Great thread idea.

You definitely want to stay away from detergents and such - just stick with water.

If your tent is like mine, only the sides get really dirty, and I don't bother reapplying any waterproofing. If the roof gets dirty (setup and takedown) then maybe consider that. I use a fly and again, don't bother with the waterproofing stuff.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:14 AM

A bit of dust and dirt is nothing to worry about. the biggest thing is mildew. that can be prevented by hanging the tent to dry before any long term storage. There are several mildew removers on the market, most available online. You can use gentle clothes detergent (same stuff your wife uses on her lingerie), things like Woolite for other light stains.
If you pressure wash, DONT use the high pressure end, and be careful around the seams. I would recommend just a hose with adjustable sprayer.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:29 AM

Set up and staked out then baking soda and water and stiff brush.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
Set up and staked out then baking soda and water and stiff brush.
My method also.. Last time I just camped in the rain for 3 days.. Kinda like the automatic car wash.. Your gonna need a good supply of rum for this trick...
Old 10-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys. Now I just need to rig it up some how in my driveway as I don’t have a pole kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk