Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-18-2009, 07:28 AM

Default Headquarters 6 Man Hub Tent

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...073&C=073&D=07

I'm seriously thinking about picking one of these up today, if they're in stock.

I'm wondering, what would be the cons of this tent? Harder to heat? Greater chance of tearing? Harder to set up? Let me know.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:53 AM

I picked up one of these middle of last week. Including unpacking it from the box it took me 5 minutes to set it up myself in the garage to test it out. I'm sure 2 people who knew what they were doing could have it up in less than a minute if it wasn't windy.

I bought this one instead of the Clam 6 man because the windows are removable, and I like the black better.

I would call the fishin' hole first, when I bought mine last week from the NE Calgary store, it was the last one they had in that store, and there were only 14 between the rest of the stores. And he said they were selling about 3-4 per week just at the NE store.

You can get the identical one at BPS, it's $50 more but I'm sure they'd price match.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:31 AM

I have one of these and have used it twice this year. With the big mr heater it heats right up in no time at all.

I bring a drill with me to pilot the holes for the ice pegs. I can peg down all 6 spots and set it up by myself in under 5 mins. Its a beauty!
Old 12-18-2009, 11:07 AM

Default instant ice hut

that is a beauty...i am seriously considering buying one. Hopefully they are easy to take down and store..imagine they come with a container of some sort?
Old 12-18-2009, 11:11 AM

got one a week ago from wholesale sports (EDM) and they had a few left
Old 12-18-2009, 03:00 PM

I have a six man eskimo call it the command center great tent for 2 lots of room and easy to heat
Old 12-18-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish on View Post
I have a six man eskimo call it the command center great tent for 2 lots of room and easy to heat
Eskimo Makes the "Quick Fish 6"
"The Command Post" is made by CLAM Corp
Old 12-18-2009, 04:28 PM

Well, I was able to get one of these at the Fishin' Hole today. My timing was perfect, it basically came off the truck and went into my car.

It is still sitting out my car, so I haven't had a chance to set it up yet.

It does have a zippered bag that it goes into. It is a pain in the arse size wise. It is around 10"x10"x50", so it's a challenge to get in a smaller vehicle. I had to put one of the rear seats down to get it in the car.

I might be able to squeeze it into the ski box on my car when it is out of the box. Otherwise, I loose the ability to carry a passenger.

I figure that if I could squeeze 10 people into my Honda Accord on a Friday night as a teenager, I should be able to squeeze 12 people into this on a Saturday afternoon

Should be a great size for four, I think.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:06 PM

they are easy to set up, mines pretty much the same idea, in a 2 man, and I can set it up alone in a strong wind in a minute or so, or less, all you have to do is tap in the ice screws and they are pretty easy to put in, easier if you want to carry a cordless drill with you. out of the box they take up less room, mine fits in my little car no problem. I also set it up in the living room after fishing, to let the frost dry off.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-20-2009, 07:45 AM

i picked mine up on friday also. nice size for 4 guys who like to sit in lawnchairs and be comfortable. buddys have the 4 man ice cube so was able to see how much more room there is for 4 guys. and just as easy to set up as the 4 man one. love the idea of the windows being able to come out though.
as for the so called identical one at bps it is 299 us pricing and they would have to order it in. the one that is 50 cheaper is a 4 man 75 by 95 set up however it has more elbow room as it is 90 by
mike 114.
the ice tents that pop up are just like summer tents claim more people can fit in them but never really take in to acount how comfortable you will be.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosmerunited View Post
the ice tents that pop up are just like summer tents claim more people can fit in them but never really take in to acount how comfortable you will be.
That's exactly why I decided on this one. I find that with camping tents one really needs to subtract one person from the manufacturer's specs to be comfy, and then you need to subtract one more person if you want lots of gear in the tent. So, my five man summer tent is really a "two adults, plus one toddler and one small dog" tent.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:05 AM

Brother got one last week from the fishin hole, tried it out yesterday. Set it up by himself in about 5 minutes. Would work great up to 3 people, maybe 4 until you hook the big one that tangles up everyones line.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:17 AM

yeah if you make the holes in one line you can have lines get tangled. there is a way to overcome it in a way. as the tent has 2 doors so you can have 2 guys with a hole each infront of the door with room so you can still get out this way you can have a little more room in between the holes. just a thought. we do this setup with 2 guys in the 4 man tent.
just need to find a heater to heat up good for those really cold days. have an over the tank heater like a sunflower but has more btu output but just not sure it will be enough for the really cold days like last weekend
mike

Last edited by hosmerunited; 12-20-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: add heat
Old 12-21-2009, 12:27 AM

I have the 2-3 man Frabill and I really wish I would have bought the 6 man tent.
The 2-3 man is really a one man tent. You can get 3 guys in there if they are standing and not moving.
So I think the 6 man is the way to go.
I am trying to find better ways to anchor this thing down though.
Has anyone tried screwing in screws instead of the anchors that come with the tents. I find anchoring the tent by far takes the longest time to do!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I find anchoring the tent by far takes the longest time to do!
Pilot holes really help, but I'd think that a long, deep thread Lag Bolt would do just as good (prob still have to pilot though)
Old 12-22-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAlite View Post
Pilot holes really help, but I'd think that a long, deep thread Lag Bolt would do just as good (prob still have to pilot though)
I got the deluxe ice anchors with mine, I find just a tap or two with a 2x2 and they screw in quite easily. Pilot holes would be even better, but then you need to pack along a drill too

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-22-2009, 06:50 PM

I've got the headquarters and I'm happy with it after a handful of uses. It bucks pretty good in the wind but the stakes keep it down well. Pretty easy to set up and take down. While you can put 6 in there, 3 is comfy and 2 guys can sprawl out on an easy chair. Good value for the money.