Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-03-2009, 07:12 AM

Default Wabuman Lake

Went fishing to Wabuman Lake yesterday whoa what a day started fishing around 9.30 am till 3.00 pm using spoons/trolling drift casting
Caught approx 30 pike half of them were over 5 lbs the biggest being 12 lbs had three lines snap using 12 lb test with 9inch leaders ,then tied on 18 inch leaders and then we were able to get them up into the boat hooked onto a couple of them that were atleast in the 20lb range

This lake is far the best pike lake that i have fished this year and I fish alot

Pigeon
Buck
Slave
Gull
Winfred
Jackfish
Snipe
Coal
Old 08-03-2009, 08:31 AM

what part fo the lake where you hitting up. I have been heading to Wabamun alot this year and have kinda made it my target get to know lake for this year. Have had good days and a few great days like you! It really has some great pike fishing to offer!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrit View Post
Went fishing to Wabuman Lake yesterday whoa what a day started fishing around 9.30 am till 3.00 pm using spoons/trolling drift casting
Caught approx 30 pike half of them were over 5 lbs the biggest being 12 lbs had three lines snap using 12 lb test with 9inch leaders ,then tied on 18 inch leaders and then we were able to get them up into the boat hooked onto a couple of them that were atleast in the 20lb range

This lake is far the best pike lake that i have fished this year and I fish alot

Pigeon
Buck
Slave
Gull
Winfred
Jackfish
Snipe
Coal

I used to fish Wabumun when I was a child. (Yes it was there back then too. LOL) We used to pull some monsters out of there. Wabumun, if I remember rightly means "Lake of the White Whales" or to that effect. The whitefish in that lake used to be huge. I think it was commercially fished at one point. But that was years ago. I've seen people using nets when I was a kid. I saw one pike taken that way that was at least four and a half feet long.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:47 PM

What size spoons were you using?
Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denadii Cho View Post
I used to fish Wabumun when I was a child. (Yes it was there back then too. LOL) We used to pull some monsters out of there. Wabumun, if I remember rightly means "Lake of the White Whales" or to that effect. The whitefish in that lake used to be huge. I think it was commercially fished at one point. But that was years ago. I've seen people using nets when I was a kid. I saw one pike taken that way that was at least four and a half feet long.
Wabamun is a Cree word meaning "mirror".
Old 08-04-2009, 10:05 AM

Thats awesome too hear my brother in-law is in town from sask and he wanted me to take him out for a day. I guess I know where we are going!! He's a newbie to fishing so I'd love too see him hook up with a few big pike I'm sure he'll love it. Rumor has it a couple of boats were lost in the storm Saturday night anybody else hear about it? Did everybody get off safe?
Old 08-04-2009, 07:11 PM

Default Watch your hook size

Use any size ya have but the regs state that you can not have hooks bigger then 10 mm from point/tip to the shaft so watch that

Five of diamonds /red and whites/black and white they grabed them all
Old 08-06-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Thats awesome too hear my brother in-law is in town from sask and he wanted me to take him out for a day. I guess I know where we are going!! He's a newbie to fishing so I'd love too see him hook up with a few big pike I'm sure he'll love it. Rumor has it a couple of boats were lost in the storm Saturday night anybody else hear about it? Did everybody get off safe?
I was in moonlight bay during the storm, it was pretty violent, lots of wind hail and rain. I didn't see any boats that were lost but since so many people tried to get into the dock i wouldn't be surprised if there was some damage there. I managed to hold strong on the shore of the provincial park. It was intense.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder86 View Post
I was in moonlight bay during the storm, it was pretty violent, lots of wind hail and rain. I didn't see any boats that were lost but since so many people tried to get into the dock i wouldn't be surprised if there was some damage there. I managed to hold strong on the shore of the provincial park. It was intense.
Yeah, better to run it up on shore and worry about pushing it out later ! You can always load it up once the crap blows over...

/FC...
Old 08-31-2009, 03:54 PM

Default Fished Wabamun lake August 29-30, 2009

Set out from Seba Beach, found a nice honey hole full of Pike (fish finders make it way to easy). Had 4 little kids with me - we landed about 20 in the boat on Saturday night and another 20 the next morning - we probably fished for about 6 hours in total. One fish was about 15lbs (measured 39"), another 36" (11 lbs) and a third big hen at 34" (10lbs). The catch and release rules are sure making fishing for northerns easy. We used perch rapalas, soft bodied perch imitators and perch colored Len Thompson's. Nothing else was close. At one time we had a triple header - tough to stear boat while netting 3 fish. Best Northern fishing I have seen in many years.

Cheers
Old 08-31-2009, 04:08 PM

so you caught three over ten?
no pics?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:58 PM

I know - pretty stupid - just too many kids to keep track of (my 3 year old daughter was with us as well). Have a good measuring tape on side of boat (just used a cross reference chart to see the ~weight). I was probably more surprised then anyone. I had fished the lake hard growing up around there, never caught a nothern bigger then 6lbs. Try it - easy and fun fishing for the kids - if it wasn't just catch and release I would have had some nice pics (We would have definently harvested a couple of them for the barbecue).
Old 09-13-2009, 10:20 PM

how deep were u fishing, and were u trolling, drifting, or casting
Old 09-14-2009, 09:24 AM

Trolling at about 8-10' deep. Also fished just just around Fallis - equally good.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:37 AM

I headed out to Wab yesterday to try some shore fishing..... what a pain in the arse...

Anyone ever try shore fishing?
Anyone willing to share some access points? (the only place I ended up trying were the Prov Park Docks and the main Town Dock)
Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 AM

u gotta fish the train bridge not on it bu underneath
Old 12-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Banned

i know divers that work for fording coal... wich is the mine on the wabamun side that will not go back into the lake near the output... a close freind as well and he said that he was checking for snags in the output and seen what appeared to be a log floating at the bottom and when it moved he was convinced otherwise.. he said it mustve been 4 ft long and it was def a pike
Old 12-22-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big fish View Post
u gotta fish the train bridge not on it bu underneath
Train bridge and the points around it, but it's spotty. I've caught a 36" trolling a few feet from shore there, and caught pike on every second cast from shore there... I've also caught nothing in several hours fishing,

I've also caught small pike from the docks in Moonlight bay.

The big hotspot is the powerplant outlet, but with the powerplant shutting down I dunno if it's still productive.