Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2011, 08:57 PM

Default Stocking A Pond With Rainbow Trout

Hi,
Ive got a pond about 35 feet deep and i'm looking to stock it with Rainbow Trout.
The pond isnt new and has been around for years. The pond is covered with thick brush around it. Frogs live there throughout the year. Im just wondering what I'll need to stock the pond. Will I need to aerate it even though its that deep? How often do I have to feed them? Will they spawn on their own? What will I have to do throughout the winter? Do I need a permit even though its on private land? Will the frogs still be there? Im also looking for any other tips for stocking the pond. Any suggestions or answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulzbor8 View Post
Hi,
Ive got a pond about 35 feet deep and i'm looking to stock it with Rainbow Trout.
The pond isnt new and has been around for years. The pond is covered with thick brush around it. Frogs live there throughout the year. Im just wondering what I'll need to stock the pond.
Will I need to aerate it even though its that deep? Can't hurt, may help avoid a winter I'll event.

How often do I have to feed them? I have never fed mine.

Will they spawn on their own? No.

What will I have to do throughout the winter? Ice fish.

Do I need a permit even though its on private land? Yes

Will the frogs still be there? Yes.

Im also looking for any other tips for stocking the pond. An old deep freeze and oxygen bottle make moving them a snap.

Any suggestions or
answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hth.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 PM

Dont expect them to spawn. Rainbows need a feeder stream with gravel bottom to spawn.

Other than that, 35 feet is pretty deep but how big in size is this "pond"? Not alot of ponds are that deep... heck theres alot of lakes that arent that deep.

You could aerate it, depends on the size.. if the water body is 35 feet deep it should hold a fair amount of oxygen.

Where about ares you located?
Old 05-08-2011, 09:16 PM

stock it with bigger bows if you can and create it your own trophy fisherry
Old 05-08-2011, 09:38 PM

For a license you need to contact Alberta Agriculture.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$departm.../all/agdex3487

For other aquaculture information from Alberta Agriculture http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/app21/inf...t2=Aquaculture
Old 05-08-2011, 10:00 PM

Frogs...

What kind?

If they are leopard frogs...they are rarer.

If the frogs are breeding in the pond...if you see or catch tadpoles...putting trout in the pond will eat the frogs...
Old 05-09-2011, 04:25 AM

http://www.smokytroutfarm.com/ Get in touch with Max or Dan at Smoky Trout Farm in Red Deer
Old 05-09-2011, 07:46 AM

http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/app21/inf...t2=Aquaculture

Alberta ag aquaculture page, should give you pretty much everything you need to know.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 05-09-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulzbor8 View Post
Hi,
The pond isnt new and has been around for years. The pond is covered with thick brush around it. Frogs live there throughout the year. Im just wondering what I'll need to stock the pond. Will I need to aerate it even though its that deep? How often do I have to feed them? Will they spawn on their own? What will I have to do throughout the winter? Do I need a permit even though its on private land? Will the frogs still be there? Im also looking for any other tips for stocking the pond. Any suggestions or answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It will need to be inspected and then you will be given a permit.
PM if you want all details and advise.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:22 AM

Once it is stocked...PM me and I will pop out from time to time and make sure the trout are doing ok...
Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 PM

Thanks guys! Very helpful.
I'd say the pond is about 30 feet wide by 100 feet long. About how many fish would I be able to stock in there? I was thinking about starting out with fifty and maybe buying another 50 if all goes well. Whats your opinion?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Got rid of a couple hundred today at the hatchery to private ponds. Just make sure you get it inspected, and the license to possess fish is like 10$. not expensive, just make sure you do it.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 PM

From what I understand, almost all hatchery trout are triploid and they cannot breed so I doubt you would have them spawning even if you did have a stream.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Frogs...

What kind?

If they are leopard frogs...they are rarer.

If the frogs are breeding in the pond...if you see or catch tadpoles...putting trout in the pond will eat the frogs...
Old 05-11-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
From what I understand, almost all hatchery trout are triploid and they cannot breed so I doubt you would have them spawning even if you did have a stream.
Well there are bigger diploids but they are on close watch, absolutely not for sale ever. I think the diploids live their entire life at the hatchery..
Old 05-11-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granrey View Post
if you are thinking...why did he write this...it is because the original poster gave the impression the frogs were important to him...or maybe the kids etc. The trout will eat all the frogs. The frogs will be gone from the pond because the tadpoles will all be eaten. Simple fact.

Plus...if the pond is south of Calgary and they are leopard frogs...

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/BioDiversi...opardFrog.aspx

they are a threatened species and destroying a breeding population would be a shame.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
You may be able to get brook trout from a hatchery. They would likely not be triploids. If you have any gravel with a spring coming in then they could likely spawn. Rainbows will never spawning in a pond successfully..even if not triploid and even with a spring present.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
if you are thinking...why did he write this...it is because the original poster gave the impression the frogs were important to him...or maybe the kids etc. The trout will eat all the frogs. The frogs will be gone from the pond because the tadpoles will all be eaten. Simple fact.

Plus...if the pond is south of Calgary and they are leopard frogs...

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/BioDiversi...opardFrog.aspx

they are a threatened species and destroying a breeding population would be a shame.
They are considered a "species at risk" up north as well.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:32 PM

Are you guys sure that trout need a spring to spawn in? Because an uncle of mine stocked his dugout about 30+ years ago with rainbows and there is still fish in it, as well as minnows. I am pretty sure there is no stream there.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 PM

Okay I measured the Pond and it measures 147x 35x about 30 feet deep. So about how many fish can I stock? I live near Drayton Valley.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 PM

if you don't water parameters or anything, just go with the general stocking density recommended to you by the hatchery. Just give them a call and they will help you out.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchR View Post
Are you guys sure that trout need a spring to spawn in? Because an uncle of mine stocked his dugout about 30+ years ago with rainbows and there is still fish in it, as well as minnows. I am pretty sure there is no stream there.
Rainbows must have moving water to spawn successfully. Brookies need a minimum of a spring with clean gravel to try and spawn.

Minnows can spawn anywheres. You would need to send pictures of the fish in there and the dugout for me to give you a clear response as to what you are seeing.

Lake Chub can grow to 8 inches. Many people see minnows...larger minnows and assume they are baby trout.

I don't want to make assumptions until we know more facts. Your uncle could also be stocking and not telling you for fun.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
if you don't water parameters or anything, just go with the general stocking density recommended to you by the hatchery. Just give them a call and they will help you out.
Ya I guess I could do that but I'm just trying to be safe and get as many references as possible... I dont want to buy 150 fish because the stockery told me I could and find out they're just after money and dont care about the fish.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:20 PM

Default Info

Talk to Loren at Ackenberry Trout Farms, he is their biologist and will be able to answer all of your questions on aeration, spawning, etc.
Ackenberry Trout Farms
780-878-3839 or http://www.ackenberrytroutfarms.com/
Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Hes also the owner of Ackenberry. Very knowledgable and a good guy to deal with.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Tags
fish, pond, rainbow trout, stock, stocking