Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:22 PM

Thumbs up Barbed hooks are awesome!!!

I fished the Bow River on Wednesday. I had pretty good luck tossing this "Five o' Diamonds streamer" with the 5wt fly rod...

I had been hooking & losing lots of fish, but once I switched to this big ol' barbed treble, they sure stayed on the hook better! So nice!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I fished the Bow River on Wednesday. I had pretty good luck tossing this "Five o' Diamonds streamer" with the 5wt fly rod...

I had been hooking & losing lots of fish, but once I switched to this big ol' barbed treble, they sure stayed on the hook better! So nice!
I lost an old lenny down there last week, I think that might be mine! I am not sure what a streamer is, but if you mean casting it out and jerking it through the water trying to "hook up", then yes, this is how I fish them too!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:27 PM

WHY SOINTLY!!!! And what do you mean switched that's what I've always used!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 PM

Wink

Just kidding, of course...

I actually retrieved this spoon from the middle of the river. I got snagged & waded out to try & get my nymphs loose; it sucks when you lose a 3-nymph rig!
I got my nymphs back, along with a whole bunch of 15lb(approx.) mono & this collection of tackle...

This Rap looks pretty new & should catch trout on the Bow...

...and, nice to see that the barbs are pinched on the Rap, as well as the 2 flies. Apparently, the spoon-chucker hasn't checked the regs in the past 15 years or so...
Old 04-06-2012, 12:34 PM

geez at least give the fisherman the benefit of the doubt...maybe it floated down from the National Park! I hate you accusatory this forum is on the humble spoon casters.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:48 PM

definitely not one of mine, I remove those wimpy trebles and add a 6 point hook with much bigger barbs! easier to snag big trout that way!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
geez at least give the fisherman the benefit of the doubt...maybe it floated down from the National Park! I hate you accusatory this forum is on the humble spoon casters.
x2

the majority of tackle I find is barbed. This includes flies. The barbed rate is about equal between the hardware and software.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:51 PM

Smile

Now, back to our regularly scheduled fishin' report:

I spent some time on the Bow River with Slivers86 on Wednesday, before the snowstorm hit the city. Managed a nice 18" rainbow on a Ice Cream Cone Chironomid in the first spot we fished before we gave up trying to cast into a gale that was roaring straight downriver; not a lot of fun when you're fly fishing, let me tell ya! My partner went home to get some shut-eye(he had just worked all night) & I drove to another stretch of river where the wind was more manageable. Much better. At one point I hooked fish on 3 consecutive casts: a big, strong fish that I never saw before he came undone; an 18" rainbow on a stonefly nymph; a 20" rainbow on a San Juan Worm. About 2 minutes later I hooked a big brown in the shallow stuff; I saw the big ol' tail come out of the water on the hookset, then he was gone. Landed a couple smaller 'bows & a bunch of whitefish after that. Then, the wind changed direction, the fish got lockjaw & I went to work; pretty good day(except for the whole work deal...).

A few pics from the day:

First fish of the day. He looks like he's taken some hook damage in the past, but he was healthy & strong...

He moved just as I snapped this pic, so it's kinda blurry; you can see a little orange color under the jaw. A bit of cutty in his background, or just a rainbow with an odd color patch? I've seen a couple like that this year...

Brave little Prairie Crocus! Always the first to test the fickle Calgary "spring weather", chance of snow and/or frost be danged! You looked so pretty yesterday at 11am, all purple & furry. By 11pm, you were buried under several inches of cold, wet snow. I'll see you & all your relatives in a day or two, when the white stuff has disappeared again...

Worm-eater...

One last look...

They can't all be 20"ers...

I think I'll bring a shovel next time I fish this stretch of river. Throw a couple scoops of these Allegheny mound ants in the water, then fish an ant pattern.

Of course, the fly will be barbed; hate to lose a fish, y'know...

Slivers86, let's do this again; preferably when you're rested & the wind is under 40k...
Old 04-06-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
x2

the majority of tackle I find is barbed. This includes flies. The barbed rate is about equal between the hardware and software.
Thank you for seeing my sarcasm. Honestly though, in a province that is (for the most part) barbless, there really isn't any excuses...

Great pics, as usual - that first rainbow has some great color. That is almost as colorful as the one Red caught down there last year.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:02 PM

Nice pictures!!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Banned

very nice

good to see the anemone report in there (bzzz)

bit of cutty in there eh
Old 04-06-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Thank you for seeing my sarcasm. Honestly though, in a province that is (for the most part) barbless, there really isn't any excuses...

Great pics, as usual - that first rainbow has some great color. That is almost as colorful as the one Red caught down there last year.
Crap!
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone figured it out.
Yes, all my pics are stolen from the Interwebs and/or photoshopped; beats the heck outta freezin' my arse off out there like the rest of you dummies!
The hardest part? Sneaking into peoples houses at night so I can hypnotize 'em & make them 'remember' fishing with me...

Seriously, though, I hope nobody takes the pic of a barbed hook as a condemnation of gear fishermen versus us superior, elite fly fishermen.
I've found a few barbed flies, as well.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:13 PM

I remember fishing with you. such a nice man, let me catch all the fish!!! nice pics as always. hope you remember the camera when you get skunked for sturgeon again

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
very nice

good to see the anemone report in there (bzzz)

bit of cutty in there eh
Yeah, I love seeing those fuzzy little flowers; they ain't scared of a late snowfall!
I honestly don't know if there's any cutty in that fish. Some folks say it's sometimes seen in pure rainbows???
Old 04-06-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Crap!
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone figured it out.
Yes, all my pics are stolen from the Interwebs and/or photoshopped; beats the heck outta freezin' my arse off out there like the rest of you dummies!
The hardest part? Sneaking into peoples houses at night so I can hypnotize 'em & make them 'remember' fishing with me...

Seriously, though, I hope nobody takes the pic of a barbed hook as a condemnation of gear fishermen versus us superior, elite fly fishermen.
I've found a few barbed flies, as well.
its all in good fun, only a few people are that uptight!

On a more serious note, you take some fantastic pics and I am sure everyone on here looks forward to your threads. You should think about putting together a big coffee table book with your best 50 or so shots and include poems/comments/thoughts. I would buy one for sure!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I love seeing those fuzzy little flowers; they ain't scared of a late snowfall!
I honestly don't know if there's any cutty in that fish. Some folks say it's sometimes seen in pure rainbows???
Without completely derailing this thread.

I'd be curious to know what a "pure" rainbow is. Due to all the stockings and introductions, divergence and interruption of our waterways, I'd be surprised of any pure strains.

The COSEWIC report on westslope cutthroat I've posted a few times really sheds some light on this issue.

Genetic analysis really shows how muddied the gene pool of our freshwater Oncorhynchus has become.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:57 PM

Wink

Quote:

I'd be curious to know what a "pure" rainbow is. Due to all the stockings and introductions, divergence and interruption of our waterways, I'd be surprised of any pure strains.

The COSEWIC report on westslope cutthroat I've posted a few times really sheds some light on this issue.

Genetic analysis really shows how muddied the gene pool of our freshwater Oncorhynchus has become.
So far this thread has:
-barbed hooks
-crocuses that aren't really crocuses
-stolen/photoshopped pics
-gear vs. fly
-hypnotism
-chumming
-The Three Stooges
-impure rainbows
-impure old hippies who get mean & hurtful when they don't get fishing enough

Derail away!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:

Old 04-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Banned

Nice avatar

you gonna lay the smack down?!?!?!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:59 PM

hippy my azz, thats hillbilly to you hoping to find some pike this weekend, I will let you know. anyone got any easy methods for removing great big pike flies from ones body? guess the helmet will help

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
hippy my azz, thats hillbilly to you hoping to find some pike this weekend, I will let you know. anyone got any easy methods for removing great big pike flies from ones body? guess the helmet will help
http://youtu.be/sKAAGWZskGg

Great method for pulling those big ol' barbed treble hook pike flies out...
Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:

I actually retrieved this spoon from the middle of the river. I got snagged & waded out to try & get my nymphs loose; it sucks when you lose a 3-nymph rig!
I got my nymphs back, along with a whole bunch of 15lb(approx.) mono & this collection of tackle...

...and, nice to see that the barbs are pinched on the Rap, as well as the 2 flies. Apparently, the spoon-chucker hasn't checked the regs in the past 15 years or so...
Looks like the rap I lost a week or so ago by the highwood. But there's probly a few thousand dollars worth of those from canmore to bassano.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:

I would be willing to bet a nickle that rap was my neighbors. He is always running down to the Bow in the eve and chucking a rap exactly like the one you found.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:39 PM

Default barb hooks

Quote:
I lost an old lenny down there last week, I think that might be mine! I am not sure what a streamer is, but if you mean casting it out and jerking it through the water trying to "hook up", then yes, this is how I fish them too!
you are a ****er for using a barb hook read the regs or im going to hook you in the drink
Old 04-06-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymaster View Post
you are a ****er for using a barb hook read the regs or im going to hook you in the drink
Someone doesn't understand sarcasm...
Old 04-06-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
regs?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
regs?
x2
Old 04-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Default Snagging

Sounds like your going to get foul hooked.... hopefully he practices C&R for your sake
Old 04-06-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:

Derail away!
Besides the barbs being Tabboo ,big lures catch big fish.....I learnt my lesson 13 years ago at Tobin lake....Never laugh at the size of another man's fishing tackle.......no matter how big or small it is
Old 04-06-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Someone's Rideing the Tomato Boat...........Yikes!!!!