Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 08:07 AM

Default Truck Hunting Kills.

Last fall I posted a thread about truck hunting and got absolutely flamed. Let me repeat what I said, truck hunting leads to far greater F&W offenses & endangers other hunters. You are making rushed shots on animals you haven't been watching and have no idea of what's in the trees.

This poor guy was shot in 2017 in Saskatchewan by a truck hunter, they thought he was a "spiker elk". Seriously. Shooter just comvicted.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...dent-1.5073649
Old 03-28-2019, 08:22 AM

Are you saying that no one has ever been shot by someone walking or sitting?

Do you have any statistic that shows hunting accident in relation with the way the shooter was hunting at the time of the accident?
Old 03-28-2019, 08:43 AM

Thought everyone in Sask sat in a stand in front of feed pile
Old 03-28-2019, 08:54 AM

Some threads are a train wreck from the point they are first conceptualized.

lol
Old 03-28-2019, 09:01 AM

Old 03-28-2019, 09:07 AM

It still baffles me how many incidents there are in general where hunters shoot humans. Isn't step one taught in every single gun licencing course "identify your target, then confirm it again"?

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2019, 09:14 AM

I know that I am overstating the point to a certain degree, and that many hunters have also been shot by their partners while hunting on foot. My main point is this, by its very nature truck hunting puts other hunters in danger. The stop and pop method forces you to make quick shots and often leads to trespassing on private lands.

I'm honestly just sick of being scoped from the road and having hunts ruined by guys driving in areas they aren't supposed to be. I'd love to see some legislation that would end this ridiculous and dangerous practice.

P.S I'm not talking about small game hunting.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:14 AM

The idiot that fired the shot wasn't even authorized to legally possess a firearm. The cause of the shooting was not because they were hunting out of a truck, it was total stupidity by a law breaker.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The idiot that fired the shot wasn't even allowed to legally possess a firearm. The cause of the shooting was not because they were hunting out of a truck, it was total stupidity by a law breaker.
Sadly in my experience the two seem to go hand-in-hand quite regularly.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:16 AM
Banned

I hunted a truck once. Took six weeks to get it but I did get it. New manual 6 sp diesels are hard to come by.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:18 AM

Hard to regulate a lot of this sadly, without seriously impacting everyone else (at least in regards to those who are illegally possessing/using firearms). But for those who are trained, the amount of complaints about being scoped are insane.

Personal experience, if I or any of the members I served with ever scoped anyone we weren't currently lining up to fire at, **** rolled downhill so fast you only felt it after the entire ordeal.

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I hunted a truck once. Took six weeks to get it but I did get it. New manual 6 sp diesels are hard to come by.
Oh man, that would be my dream as well. Have to head overseas for that one. :-)
Old 03-28-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
Sadly in my experience the two seem to go hand-in-hand quite regularly.
Truck or not, people that will illegally possess firearms are not likely to care about regulations or safety. Had the fool been sitting and the hunter walked into view, he would likely have shot him, with no truck involved. Truck or no truck, you can't fix stupid.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Truck or not, people that will illegally possess firearms are not likely to care about regulations or safety. Had the fool been sitting and the hunter walked into view, he would likely have shot him, with no truck involved. Truck or no truck, you can't fix stupid.
Completely agree with this. Maybe it's time to look into fighting for harsher regulations? Get caught scoping someone, charge them with attempted manslaughter.

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrpleWlf View Post
Hard to regulate a lot of this sadly, without seriously impacting everyone else (at least in regards to those who are illegally possessing/using firearms). But for those who are trained, the amount of complaints about being scoped are insane.

Personal experience, if I or any of the members I served with ever scoped anyone we weren't currently lining up to fire at, **** rolled downhill so fast you only felt it after the entire ordeal.

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
That's often the challenge, you make a rule but only the law abiding listen and also what rule would work but not be overly onerous?. I wonder if something like a 50 yard from vehicle rule like they have for antelope would work? I find it absolutely insane that this is an acceptable practice in AB.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I am not so sure, there wouldn't have been the rush to take a shot, he would have watched him longer and also been more in tune with his environment. Tough question for sure.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:25 AM

I think it should be a requirement for any big game rifle hunter to have binos on their possession at all times. Any of you freaks out there reading this that regularly identify your targets using your scope need to shape up. I never thought people were that dumb until I had two rifle barrels swung my direction while hunting a cut line. No binos to be seen. We're better than this people.

What a senseless loss of life. It's absolutely mind blowing
Old 03-28-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Completely agree with this. Maybe it's time to look into fighting for harsher regulations? Get caught scoping someone, charge them with attempted manslaughter.

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
The problem is proving that the person scoped you. Odds are the idiot will just lie, and say he was looking at something else. People that scope other humans don't care about anyone else's safety, or about the regulations. Lying is nothing to them. The idiots that scope people, are far more dangerous than people spotting game from a truck. The killer in the article didn't use binoculars to verify his target, he used his scope, and then pulled the trigger, taking a life.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I think it should be a requirement for any big game rifle hunter to have binos on their possession at all times. Any of you freaks out there reading this that regularly identify your targets using your scope need to shape up. I never thought people were that dumb until I had two rifle barrels swung my direction while hunting a cut line. No binos to be seen. We're better than this people.

What a senseless loss of life. It's absolutely mind blowing
I could agree with this
Old 03-28-2019, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Oh man, that would be my dream as well. Have to head overseas for that one. :-)
Got one. Sell it to ya.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
The problem is proving that the person scoped you. Odds are the idiot will just lie, and say he was looking at something else. People that scope other humans don't care about anyone else's safety, or about the regulations. Lying is nothing to them. The idiots that scope people, are far more dangerous than people spotting game from a truck.
Yeah, it would be hard for sure. It's something that is a bad situation all around.

I know personally if I see someone scoping me they had better haul ass quick, cause I will not stand for it (in a non-violent way).

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2019, 09:53 AM

If rushed shots are the concern, what so you suppose would happen if a 50 yard distance from any vehicle was enacted? How about the shooter hops out, and the driver speeds off, and as soon as the truck is fifty yards off, the shooter has loaded the rifle and fires. The entire process would be even more rushed.
And in this example where the shooter commited a criminal act by illegally being in possession of a firearm, do think he cares about a hunting regulation?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-28-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:04 AM

Blaze orange, all white And even flo green during rifle season for this guy.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:10 AM

As long as it meets the law, you hunt the way you wish, and I'll hunt the way I wish. Where anyone falls on the pecking order from elititist to the guy just out for a social afternoon with friends or family in a truck cab is nobody's business but their own. I don't understand the need to criticize others, entirely legal, methods, their ethics, or their motivations.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
As long as it meets the law, you hunt the way you wish, and I'll hunt the way I wish. Where anyone falls on the pecking order from elititist to the guy just out for a social afternoon with friends or family in a truck cab is nobody's business but their own. I don't understand the need to criticize others, entirely legal, methods, their ethics, or their motivations.
On this; is truck hunting legal (asking as I honestly don't know and would never do it)?

Also, pointing a rifle at an individual is illegal (see case law regarding intent to use a weapon; specifically aggressive acts with a loaded firearm). Even police and military have to do full investigations when drawing a weapon on someone, even if they don't fire (SIU).

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
The whole truth is posted right here!^ You cannot fix stupid!
Old 03-28-2019, 10:30 AM

Default Just asking !

Quote:
Last fall I posted a thread about truck hunting and got absolutely flamed. Let me repeat what I said,
why would you bring it up again it got absolutely flamed as you said .
what's your motive behind this
Old 03-28-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
It still baffles me how many incidents there are in general where hunters shoot humans. Isn't step one taught in every single gun licencing course "identify your target, then confirm it again"?

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
So you think that is bad? How about an Agesis class Destroyer in the Gulf of Aiden firing missles at an Iranian Airlines 737 killing everybody on board. That was a highly trained crew with the latest in electronic radar equipment, operating in a non war zone.

There is something called "Scenario Rationalization". You want to believe, and suddenly, there is an ear, and a shoulder, and horns, ....

Don't get me wrong, you are absolutely correct: check, re check, then proceed.

The problem is magnified when you are driving around all day looking for game, and then at last light, on the run, while also trying to focus on the road, you jump out and shoot, freehand ...

But yes, I get your point.

Many years ago I walked out from my tree stand and met a truck hunter. i let 7 go by that morning. He was complaining about not seeing any game. I told him that the truck blind does not work any more and he should go into the bush.

Drewski
Old 03-28-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
So you think that is bad? How about an Agesis class Destroyer in the Gulf of Aiden firing missles at an Iranian Airlines 737 killing everybody on board. That was a highly trained crew with the latest in electronic radar equipment, operating in a non war zone.

There is something called "Scenario Rationalization". You want to believe, and suddenly, there is an ear, and a shoulder, and horns, ....

Don't get me wrong, you are absolutely correct: check, re check, then proceed.

The problem is magnified when you are driving around all day looking for game, and then at last light, on the run, while also trying to focus on the road, you jump out and shoot, freehand ...

But yes, I get your point.

Many years ago I walked out from my tree stand and met a truck hunter. i let 7 go by that morning. He was complaining about not seeing any game. I told him that the truck blind does not work any more and he should go into the bush.

Drewski
Hey Drewski;

I think it is horrible when people make mistakes, that could easily have been avoided by doing simple confirmations. Your example above included - which is why when we as reconnaissance were detailed to target a location, we would spend days glassing it. Did this always come out with 100% success? No. Mistakes were still made. Nothing is perfect, but we should strive to get better.

Scoping/firing at an unconfirmed target is absolutely against "doing the best you can". This is a lazy, dangerous and potentially fatal act that no competent firearms wielder should ever do.

That's my opinion, at least.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:51 PM

Multiple people in the vehicle, yet he wasn't authorized to possess a firearm, so did not one of the people have a PAL, or was the shooter under a firearms prohibition?