Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2011, 11:10 PM

Default SAKO 85 vs Browning X-Bolt

Okay, I just read the Cooper vs Sako thread and it piqued my interest. But my budget does not reach so high. It does reach high enough for a SAKO 85 Stainless, but not the Cooper.

I am going to buy a 500 Win Mag. I am bouncing back and forth between the Sako 85 and the Browning X-Bolt. I like the Sako but it is $800 more. I can afford it but am I just kidding myself, I do like the X-bolt, it is a very sweet gun, almost as sweet as the Sako.

I would really appreciate any input you guys have, some of you have deep technical knowledge and much more experience than I so I look forward to your comments. I'm leaning towards the Sako but I am looking for solid reasoning to explain the $800 diff.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:42 PM

My brother and I bought new 300wsm this fall.He got his in the sako,and I took the x-bolt.I loved both but I liked the feel of the x-bolt better.Browning has come a long ways with their rifles.After hunting with it this past season I love my browning even more,what a gun.Go with the gun that fits you the best.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Okay, I just read the Cooper vs Sako thread and it piqued my interest. But my budget does not reach so high. It does reach high enough for a SAKO 85 Stainless, but not the Cooper.
You do realize that Wholesale Sports and other shops charge $1800 minimum for a Sako 85 Synthetic Stainless,and you can buy a Cooper for as low as $2000?The Cooper magnums are much more expensive,but the standard chamberings are quite comparable.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:47 PM

If sako made a rifle and cartridge for 500 win mag, I'd try it in a heart beat. I have 2 ,300 wm sako 85s. I don't think I will ever part with them. Great gun, accurate and silky smooth. The stocks on the synthetics I don't care much for so I ordered a couple of McMillians. Can't comment on the Browning as I never even shot one. I don't think you can beat a sako for the price.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:52 AM

My 270 short mag X-bolt is probably one of the most accurate rifles I own. I reload and strive for precision and have other custom guns and believe me this thing is a shooter. Its light and I like the fit so its perfect for me. I have no experience with the Sako so I can't help you there.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:15 AM

Buy the browning, take the $800 you are gonna save and invest it in quality optics.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:39 AM

x2
Old 02-06-2011, 08:59 AM

I have had both and still have the Browning x-bolt. Have it in a 25-06 and out shot the Sako all day long and in my opinion just as good of a hunting rifle for a lot less. And better than a Tikka (had one of them too) also, the only thing I think Browning could upgrade it to a nicer metal clip or a hinged floor plate. There is nothing wrong with the design of there clip but just the material.
Go with the X Bolt save $800 and buy a good scope!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Banned

Gota say I love my 85 in 270WSM.
It feels nice and fits me great.
The clip is metal and not plastic.
Nicest rifle I have ever owned.

Jamie
Old 02-06-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Buy the browning, take the $800 you are gonna save and invest it in quality optics.
x3

tm
Old 02-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Another thing is that the browning fed better than the sako. Once you seated bullets out on the sako with the double stack mag they didn't feed as nice as the single stack X-bolt. Sako is still a quality rifle, I was just impressed by the browning for the money and I did not care for browning rifles before the x bolt.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 PM

Sorry my correction it's an inline rotary mag on the browning
Old 02-06-2011, 01:53 PM

I prefer Sako
Old 02-06-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
x4
Old 02-06-2011, 03:00 PM

From my understanding the Sako is a better gun and that is what you're paying for but no one has mentioned the Tikka? Same quality and price as the Browning and that leaves you with money for your optic...
Old 02-06-2011, 05:39 PM

Default Sako vs xbolt

We have one of each a SAKO 300wsm in stainless laminate and an X BOLT
30-06 in the stainless synthetic. Certainly both nice rifles but the SAKO is better quality and defintely smoother in the action dept. Seconded by my wife who pack the X BOLT because it fits her better but she covets the action of the SAKO. Our two bits.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
If sako made a rifle and cartridge for 500 win mag, I'd try it in a heart beat.
My bad. Yes, I'd have to look hard if they made a 500 WM as well. lol. As you have inferred, I meant 300 win mag.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 AM

The Sako is tough to beat, one of the main differences would be the action and the controlled round feeding of the Sako if I am not mistaken. If that is not an issue for you go to the Browning or what ever fits you and your budget.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:13 AM

I got to handle a X-Bolt Stainless synthetic at Bass Pro this weekend. I must say I was not impressed with appearance. It felt very nice in the balance department... the fore stock felt very nice in the hands... but the grip just didnt cut it for me. Each their own . And that Dura Touch finish feels like a band new tire.... that oily rubbery feeling. I wouldn't kick one out of bed for getting crumbs in the sheets.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:17 AM

Default Stil on the fence

Thanks for all your input. Many of you have brought up points that I have encountered in my exploration too.

- The non-metal clip of the X-Bolt. I must admint I have a preference for the metal clip in the Sako. Edge to Sako
- The inline rotary feed on the X-Bolt. I have heard this, but I haven't had a loaded rifle in my hands to feel if this makes a big difference. It sounds important, but I don't know. Edge to X-Bolt
- Barrel length. I prefer a longer barrel. The Sako 85 has a 24 3/8 barrel while the X-Bolt has a 26". The Sako is a tad shorter, but long enough to satisfy me. edge to X-Bolt.
- Action I find the action on the Sako a tad smoother. Edge to Sako.

Some comments were recommending saving the $800 and putting it toward optics. I already made this move I have purchased the Leupold VXIII 4.5x14 with CDS Duplex. So the optics are set, I just need to determine which rifle to put under them.

My thinking at this point is that either of these rifles is a good choice. Browning is a quality gun, but Sako is a name in rifles that stands above the crowd. I have a yen for a higher quality rifle and I think Sako brings this. Should I pay $800 for this step? The scottish in me says Nay!, but he also says what's wrong with your Rem. 30.06 - it kills everything you shoot at? So I'm not listening to that side of me. He doesn't understand the schwing like the rest of me does.

I have never held a Cooper rifle, I hadn't even heard of them until I read the thread in here. I may have to check them out, but it sounds like a 300 Win Mag will still be beyond my budget.

As I evaluate my own thoughts and reactions I am starting to believe that really I want the Sako, but I am hesitating because of the difference in price. I am at a point in my life where I can afford better, and I typically go there, but I don't want to spend an extra $800 and find out it was a wasted move.

Anyway I appreciate all of your input. If there is any more please share and perhaps I'll get off the fence and make a move.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Banned

i love my sako but my x-bolt is my favorite gun. if i'm going to shoot i deer it just feels right and i trust it.

my sako is more accurate, the xbolt shoots a .6" group the sako shoots a .3" group both with hand loads. but the xbolt feels better and i never miss with it.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:16 AM

Default Cabela's Canada has a Kimber on sale in 300 wsm

Kimber Model 8400 Montana Bolt Action Rifle 26" barrel 6lbs 13ozs
$1500.00
The Kimber Model 8400 Montana is absolutely the best hard core hunting rifle available today. Every dimension was minimized to keep the rifle light, sleek and balanced. The Kimber Kevlar/carbon fiber stock with 1” decelerator recoil pad is incredibly light and strong and the sporter contour satin-finished stainless steel barrel is match grade from muzzle to trigger. The barrels are free floated and receivers are both pillar and glass bedded for rock solid stability and accuracy. A Mauser claw extractor, three position wing safety and a match grade trigger that breaks between 3.5-4 lbs. is also standard. Receivers are drilled and tapped for bases.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:11 PM

Sako all the way...
Old 02-07-2011, 04:03 PM

If money really isn't an issue then go with the SAKO it is a better ifle but not by much. In the rifle world you pay big for incrementally small increases in quality over the $1000 mark.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 PM

The X-bolt does have a consumer adjustable trigger with instructions and I did adjust mine for a lighter trigger pull.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSako View Post
Sako all the way...
X2
Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 AM

Are you going to handload? If so consider the magazine length with the 300 win mag. The Abolts and BBR magazines were short for the 300 win mag and the bullets had to be seated deeply into the case to fit. A PP Partion helps out some but the bullet still intrudes into the capacity a long ways

I've had no trouble with this with my Sako 85 or the Steyr SBS Prohunter I used to have. Rem. M700 has a long mag as well.

If you're gonna shoot factory loads forever, none of this matters really.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:30 AM

If money is not the deciding factor listen to the majority of the posters and go with the Sako. No one has ever regretted buying a high quality product. You will undoubtedly be happy with it.

I currently shoot a Weatherby and have had two Browning rifles in the past, and still have a Browning shotgun in my cabinet, so don't anybody freak on me by saying that I am talking trash and have never even owned a Browning. Last fall I convinced my hunting buddy to buy an X-Bolt. It has not been a good experience for him and it may be for sale when it gets back from the factory. First trip out to the range and after about fifteen rounds, the gun which is equipped with a VXII, is shooting all over the place. Upon inspection one of the bolts on the scope mount is sheered off. Not a good start. Gun goes back and different mounts are put on. We go back to the range. Gun is shooting nice, but occasionally my buddy goes to chamber a bullet and hears a "click" when he fires. In his mind, he is thinking that he is not being aggressive enough when chambering. He doesn't mention it to me. Fast forward to this November. He is on a cutline helping another friend skin a buck. They look up and see the largest whitetail they have ever seen in the wild. He grabs his gun and chambers a round, puts the crosshairs on a huge 12 point typical which is standing broadside, squeezes the admittedly nice Browning trigger, and instead of hearing the sweet crack of a 7MM Rem Mag and the lovely sound of bullet hitting animal, he hears the same click that he heard at the gun range. Nice. He now watches the tail wave bye-bye.

He took the gun back to Wholesale Sports, the worst place ever, argues with the idiot behind the counter who told him he was responsible for paying the freight charge to send it back to Browning, and now awaits word on why the new plastic rotary clip does not positively chamber a round each time the action is cycled. The manager at WS admitted that other customers have had this problem too.

Now, I am a realist who knows that both the Browning and Sako are mass produced rifles. I also know that stuff happens. But the main reason I got rid of one of my Browning rifles was repeated problems with the clip that were not rectified. This particular rifle was not an X-Bolt, but a BLR. Nonetheless, WS acknowledged that this has been a problem for them so far. It is also worth noting that this clip is one of the supposed improvements over the A-Bolt.

This forum is for opinions and stories in the field. When I take this firsthand story into account, I would solidly recommend you purchase the Sako. Last thing I have to say is that when were at the gun counter at WS, I convinced my buddy to look past the comparable models by Tikka, Weatherby, Remington, and Savage.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:54 AM

Wife has new 270 wsm x bolt micro hunter,I lol (we) cannot say a bad thing about it.Shoots like a laser,fits like a glove,recoil pad and trigger are amazing,LOVE the 60 degree bolt (not sure about sako's bolt lift).Unbeatable for the money. As far as the polymer clip goes,put the"plastic" one and the metal one through the same abuse and I promise the polymer on will come out ahead,and it's lighter.
As others have said,you won't regret it and you have 1000$ left over for the scope which really day to day you will appreciate more than a metal clip.
So make me x 5 forgot about the wife.....x 6
Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 AM
sheephunter

The X-Bolt has proven itself a pretty solid rifle and in its price range, it's definitely a contender but I'm not sure you can really compare it to a Sako 85. That's kind of an apples to oranges comparison in my mind.