Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2006, 10:26 AM
tatonka

Default 6X6...End of Story

A week or so ago I posted a couple of pictures here of a 6X6 whitetail buck I've been hunting all fall. To make a long story short, I finally was able to get close enough and killed him with my old Hawkens Muzzleloader right at Sundown on Sunday. It's been kind of a bittersweet experience.. There's always a certain degree of remorse, sadness, etc. when a great old buck like this is gone (or any critter for that matter).
Here are a few "before and after" pictures" in case you didn't see the first ones I posted...

Old 11-08-2006, 10:44 AM
209x50cal

Great job and great deer!
Old 11-08-2006, 10:45 AM
bigbore

Son of a ........:b that deer is a freak, congrats man, nice muzzleloader kill
Old 11-08-2006, 11:40 AM
shotgun

That is one hell of a deer. You gotta love it when a plan comes together. That area looks alot like Augusta.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:46 AM
lethalconnection

Thats is definitely one heck of a buck you got there. Definitely will be a memory for you chasing that big ole boy down.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:56 AM
PacknIron

Well done Tatonka.

You can at least be assured that there are plenty of his offspring who will take his place in years to come.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:13 PM
tatonka

Shotgun,
I'm in Chinook....Milk River Valley. Just south of where Montana, Alberta, and Saskatchewan all meet.

Thanks all....yes, he's an exceptional buck. Body size was massive on him. Our whitetails have finally bounced back from the "Blue Tongue" (not sure of the technical name for it) that hit here about 5 years ago. We lost approximately
70%-80% of our whitetails....it was terrible. Some areas where there was a marginal whitetail population to begin with still haven't recovered.

Good Luck to all. As the rut starts to kick in I'm sure we're going to see some dandy's posted here!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:14 PM
warby

Well done! That's a great buck! Makes me jealous, I'll be hard pressed to find a buck of that caliber 'round home!
Old 11-08-2006, 01:34 PM
pintailslammer

Very nice whitetail.

Just wondering though:

Where can you hunt deer on a Sunday at?? Especially in Southern Alberta or I'm I missing something in the reg's

Pin
Old 11-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Re: 6X6...End of Story

pintailslammer, he lives and was hunting in Montana.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:11 PM
aka bushmaster

Great buck, tatonka, and thanks for keeping us up to date on your hunt.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:52 PM
tatonka

Yes, I'm in Montana. I've seen 3 bucks that are bigger than this buck (bigger racks, but not a bigger body). I saw two of them just one time and the other twice, but once pheasant season opened they disappeared. I've hunted high and low for them and can't find a trace of them. One of them is absolutley huge. I got some pictures of him the one and only time I saw him, but he was so far away and it was so dusky they came out really blurry. I'm not sure exactly how big he is, but he's at least 23" wide, tall, and heavy. Here's the picture I took...It's not very good, but you can sort of get an idea of how big he is... My son will be home from college to hunt this weekend, so I'm going to try some calling in the area where I saw him...maybe the rut will bring him out.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Duffy4

Great buck, great pics, a fine smoke pole.

Hope you and your son have a good hunt.

Robin down under
Old 11-08-2006, 07:47 PM
bruceba

Very nice buck.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Cowboy Al

Excellent work! I'm jealous as I've yet to shoot a deer with my "smoke pole" hopefully my turn will come. That deer is definately one for the wall.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:15 AM
brownbomber

great buck, hard work pays off and congratulations. good job, i can only hope for similar sucess
Old 11-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Carbonxpress

Great deer..What he end up scorin? I'm guessin close to 155.
Congrats.
Carb8)
Old 11-11-2006, 10:44 PM
pintailslammer

DUH! If I would have look at the license plate instead of the rack I'd have noticed that!

Sorry about that!

Pin
Old 11-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Brady

Yup that is a shooter in any state/province. Congrats, and thanx fer sharin with us.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:39 PM
tatonka

What'd he score? I have no idea. I don't score my bucks......all this scoring stuff is gotten to be kind of a pet peeve of mine, but I won't go there...
Old 01-20-2007, 08:56 PM
bruceba

Default Truth is out

(unable to load pagetext)
Old 01-21-2007, 12:53 PM
MUDDSTER

Default Re: Truth is out

Wonder what Tatonka has to say about this....... or has he already left the building ?????
Old 01-21-2007, 06:37 PM
kanonfodder

UH perhaps I'm a little dense but if I understand bruces post correctly ur making an accusation based on heresay??? My other dense question is to me it doesnt look like that deer has been gutted ( from what I can see on the tailgate )no blood nothing obvious just wondering

OOPPS I now see in the other pic that it looks like its been gutted my bad......stupid slow PC lol
Old 01-21-2007, 08:27 PM
bruceba

(unable to load pagetext)