Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 PM

Default Walleye on the fly

one of this years open water goals for myself is to fish for a few non-traditional fly fished species. with walleye being one of my favorites and they fact i've never tossed fur or feathers at one, i plan to start with them first. i figure leech patterns, minnow imitations, maybe even the dreaded SJ. what about dry stuff? will i ever find walleye high enough anywhere looking up? possibly in the NSR or SSR. anyone ever done it?

Dace
Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
one of this years open water goals for myself is to fish for a few non-traditional fly fished species. with walleye being one of my favorites and they fact i've never tossed fur or feathers at one, i plan to start with them first. i figure leech patterns, minnow imitations, maybe even the dreaded SJ. what about dry stuff? will i ever find walleye high enough anywhere looking up? possibly in the NSR or SSR. anyone ever done it?

Dace
I've flied for eyes a few times now. When Phil and I were out at Lac St.Anne, had more than a few guys start asking us about how we were catching them on flies as we were out fishing them. Trick is to watch your line as you're retrieving looking for subtle takes, sometimes just the fly line straightens but you don't feel anything. other times we just had a hunch. Either way, set the hook. Large wooly buggers and Popsicle leeches work well stripped up a drop off.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 PM

Hey Dace,

I will meet you at pcr and we can chuck some sink tip lines with buggers at them. It is a good place to start when trying to read the way they take a fly. After that we could try a typical walleye lake like macgregor or travers and see how we do out there. It is also one of my goals this open water season.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 PM

sylvan lake and pigeon are best for walleye and i like using a 6wt 9 fot for agood hookset and using a pink zonker. with a red glass bead. on sink tip
Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 PM

thanks for the input guys. doc i spent a lot of time on st.anne. that lake has some good rock. nate, will have to get practiced up and have chubb take us to the columbia. may need a lesson or two from FH7 in front of the waterslides first!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
thanks for the input guys. doc i spent a lot of time on st.anne. that lake has some good rock. nate, will have to get practiced up and have chubb take us to the columbia. may need a lesson or two from FH7 in front of the waterslides first!
with you 2 in my boat...i'll just stick the flies in the back of my head at the ramp to temper the pain factor
Old 04-05-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:

Dace
when the cicadas hatch the walleyes in the mouth of beaver creek on the columbia surface rise to eat the ones that hit the water