Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-08-2008, 11:50 AM

Default Hornady lite and heavy?

Anyone try those factory bullets? Any good?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:29 PM

I bought some Light Mag's to try in my .30-06, the 165 grain SST's. They grouped so well from my Rem 700 that I stocked up on them, also grabbing some 165 grain Interbonds for use on Elk. I found that not only did they group better than the Federal premiums (MRX, 180 grainer's if I recall) but the powder Hornady uses burns WAY cleaner than whatever Federal is stuffing into theirs, so I'd spend less time getting my rifle(s) squeaky clean after a day out shooting. I would get rounds touching at 100 yards and within 1 1/4" at 200 yards. It actually made Hornady my favorite ammo. They don't shoot as well from my Winchester 70, but still better than other rounds in that rifle ( it's just less accurate than my Remington). The extra velocity virtually makes it a .300 Win Mag, but I have yet to chrony them to verify. So far I've only taken one whitetail with it, a broadside shot at 125-150 yards. It had full penetration on a 3x3 buck with an exit hole about the size of a loonie, the shot was a heart/double lung. I load my .338 Win Mag with their Heavy Mag's, but have yet to take an animal with that cartridge.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:44 PM

Determining what works in your rifle will require you to try it in your rifle, what works in my rifle or even in the feller round the corner, is redundant since every firearm is unique unto it's self, and therefore requires you to take your rifle to the range with numerous loadings and determine what your rifle will prefer.

Note the highlighted words!!!!

There are no absolutes
Old 07-08-2008, 08:27 PM

Thank for your responces, I guess I didn`t make myself clear to some of you.
I just wanted your General opinion on the maker. I understand everything is Rifle specific!
But thank you for the input!
Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 AM

I've shot plenty of animals with all the diffrent makes that hornady offers, in all cases the animals died in a prescribed manner.
Now these were with reloaded Horandy bullets, which are exactly the same projectiles in their factory loaded ammunition.

There are no absolutes