Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2024, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How about you look at the science, how much Canada as a country emits, vs how many trees we have to absorb CO?
What about the science that shows that emitting carbon is a problem? Especially the carbon emitted in Canada. Never mind taxing it to some how magically change the climate, more like pad some globalists pocket. Using cooperative left wing governments to do so. License to steal and it helps destroy the middle class. This isn’t about the environment and I am sick of it.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:25 AM

Default I’ll clarify a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Under your plan, which population do you propose to eliminate first? Is it not a fair marker to consider those who pollute or emit the most per capita to be eliminated first? Be careful what you wish for, many nations already survive on a standard of less than 1/4 of what we as a society consume. My guess is they will not be the first to go, unless of course the system is jerry-rigged to protect the greatest offenders, which of course is likely your objective choice.
LOL I am not saying that’s what I want nor do I believe that carbon emissions are even detrimental to the destruction of the planet. I am simply saying for those that think a tax is going to save the planet, well they are nuts.
If it were true that carbon dioxide was harmful to the planet it is a fact that the only way to reduce production of carbon would be to reduce the world’s population significantly.
It’s not my plan, it’s just plain fact.
I am saying that this tax is not at all about the environment rather it is about Liberal irresponsibly over spending and how the carbon tax is just a money grab.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:14 AM

If it was really about the environment Canada would be supplying the world with natural gas to shut down coal plants. It is definitely not about the environment.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-23-2024, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
OMG.... are you serious?
No one has the real numbers.
It is impossible for PP to put together numbers until he is elected PM and can get access to the information.

What there is for accounting has been hidden by the Liberals/NDP/Block block because they won't let the uncountable scandals be investigated.
Billions and Billions of dollars has gone missing under Trudeau.

No worries though, the budget will balance itself.
You can't honestly think the Government of Canada does not have audited annual financial statements..

The Public Accounts of Canada is the report of the Government of Canada prepared annually by the Receiver General, as required by section 64 of the Financial Administration Act. It covers the fiscal year of the government, which ends on March 31. The information contained in the report originates from two sources of data:  the summarized financial transactions presented in the accounts of Canada, maintained by the Receiver General  the detailed records, maintained by departments and agencies Each department and agency is responsible for reconciling its accounts to the control accounts of the Receiver General, and for maintaining detailed records of the transactions in their accounts. The report covers the financial transactions of the government during the year. In certain cases, parliamentary authority to undertake transactions was provided by legislation approved in earlier years.

Here is an article from the Financial Post which is worth the read.

https://financialpost.com/news/econo...lex-trade-offs

The last paragraph is spot on, hope and change messaging in a time where there is no easy answers.

It’s just that one of the advantages of not being an incumbent is that you don’t have a record to defend, leaving you free to focus on hope-and-change messaging while the incumbent answers for the policy choices they have made in government. And as the G20 reminded us this weekend, there are no easy answers out there.

I do hope Pierre is the savior many here feel his is, I am just skeptical as most politicians aren't who they appear to be... Back to the original topic, Pierre called the non-confidence vote and never attended as he was out fund raising. I expect more from a leader myself.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
LOL I am not saying that’s what I want nor do I believe that carbon emissions are even detrimental to the destruction of the planet. I am simply saying for those that think a tax is going to save the planet, well they are nuts.
If it were true that carbon dioxide was harmful to the planet it is a fact that the only way to reduce production of carbon would be to reduce the world’s population significantly.
It’s not my plan, it’s just plain fact.
I am saying that this tax is not at all about the environment rather it is about Liberal irresponsibly over spending and how the carbon tax is just a money grab.
Bingo it doesn’t matter if someone supports carbon based climate change or not the reality is the carbon tax is a sham when it comes to decreasing emissions

The tax is doing nothing more than raising the cost of living and filling the government’s pockets where it’s wasted. It would be different if the funds were being used to develop alternatives or programs that actually focused on improving the environment

I may not support the whole man made climate change agenda but I can respect efforts too improve water/air quality

Regardless I can’t believe some people don’t see the carbon tax is no more than a scam to collect money and pretend the government is doing something.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
if it was really about the environment canada would be supplying the world with natural gas to shut down coal plants. It is definitely not about the environment.
amen!!
Old 03-23-2024, 08:33 AM

He will need to start cleaning house in the civil service as they will be trying hard to protect both their jobs and the Liberals. Much of the climate crap comes from within the administration.

68% increase in budget and 40% increase in staff since Trudeau came on board

You can bet that Climate Barbie built a special team of supporters that is still there.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...nt/ar-BB1kp72P
Old 03-23-2024, 08:35 AM

the carbon tax is a tax grab to compensate for the bulge in the population known as the baby boomers who are either retired or soon to be retiring. this is why it is progressively being increased over time. the other side of the coin is the dramatic increase in immigration, same underlying issue. all the taxes that had been paid into the federal tax pit had gone to fund a lot of infrastucture over time, but a substantial amount of it was skimmed off by evil and greedy actors. the trillions that the boomers paid in taxes have been spent , wasted, or stolen. kind of a ponzi scheme of sorts, I cannot guess what the future may be with any certainty, but if I was forced to guess it would be deflation.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:01 AM

Smile Ok,ok

Is this a stroke of genius by the Liberal government or the sleaziest thing they have ever done, depending on your point of view.

This group is very shopisticated and knowledgeble on this topic, no question and yet we have gone on 5 pages and there is not a 1 paragraph explanation of what it is supposed to do.

Now we have PP and the conservatives with an "axe the tax" slogan, and if I have got this right, just about the time the Libs will call an election we all will start getting cheques in the mail from the Federal government.

Now if the Libs have manouvered PP into trying to explain all of this to the voters, that will help their chances for re-election.

BTW the last time I heard "axe the tax " it was Jean Chretien about the GST, he won and didn't do it.

The Libs need 14 more seats to get a majority, can they poach 7 each from the NDP and the Bloc? That's what needs to be looked at, where are the possible gains for the PCs and the libs.

We might just have a future of minority governments, who knows.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
I am looking for an economic plan to show how our great country gets out of this mess. Pierre to my knowledge has not provided any economic plan to support his ideas, no different than our current leader and his ideas as to what makes a great country. They are all the same.

WB just posted the video of Pierre which was current as of today, where is the plan ? Axe the tax, build more homes, cheaper energy, and zero content about how he will accomplish this. This should be a major red flag, where is the fiscal plan or is he scared Justin will steal this idea too..

Many liberal supporters place blind fait in Justin, many of you do the exact thing with Pierre.
I could be wrong but since we aren't in campaign season yet, can the CPC even promote their platform yet?

In case no one has noticed, most modern elections have been about voting someone out rather than in. Poilievre isn't my cup of tea but there's no way I could possibly vote any other way with what Trudeau, the Liberals and NDP are doing to Canada. Any party coming after the Liberals are going to have a heck of a time fixing what they're leaving behind. That and no PM should ever have more than a 2 term mandate.

Trudeau's legacy...

https://financialpost.com/opinion/ju...-poorer-canada

Last edited by Sporty; 03-23-2024 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Is this a stroke of genius by the Liberal government or the sleaziest thing they have ever done, depending on your point of view.

This group is very shopisticated and knowledgeble on this topic, no question and yet we have gone on 5 pages and there is not a 1 paragraph explanation of what it is supposed to do.

ws.
I suspect foreign business that benefits from destruction of Albertas oil and gas industry and who donates money to truedope would be great place to look for your answer.
Why do company's donate huge money to politicians? Two reasons . Either for protection money so government will leave them alone or so politician will make laws or do things so that the business that donated money will get even more money back .

Was watching a show about west Virginia and how they love electrical battery car's. Apparently coal industry making a comeback because they are burning coal in plants to make electricity to charge the cars. Who would have ever saw this coming ten years ago?
Old 03-23-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

Now we have PP and the conservatives with an "axe the tax" slogan, and if I have got this right, just about the time the Libs will call an election we all will start getting cheques in the mail from the Federal government.

Now if the Libs have manouvered PP into trying to explain all of this to the voters, that will help their chances for re-election.

BTW the last time I heard "axe the tax " it was Jean Chretien about the GST, he won and didn't do it.

The Libs need 14 more seats to get a majority, can they poach 7 each from the NDP and the Bloc? That's what needs to be looked at, where are the possible gains for the PCs and the libs.

We might just have a future of minority governments, who knows.
If the poles keep going the way they are going hopefully the Liberals lose enough seats to become third wheel behind the NDP and the Conservatives come out with a majority.
But I won’t be holding my breath.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:45 AM

I'm going to be unpopular for this opinion, but I'm going to say it anyway. I am not against the carbon tax if two conditions were present. 1) it was clear how it was spent and it was spent on infrastructure to combat the problem 2) it was applied to all trade - nothing like making us a feckless uncompetitive country by strangling everyone from individuals to business to government and everything in between
Old 03-23-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I'm going to be unpopular for this opinion, but I'm going to say it anyway. I am not against the carbon tax if two conditions were present. 1) it was clear how it was spent and it was spent on infrastructure to combat the problem 2) it was applied to all trade - nothing like making us a feckless uncompetitive country by strangling everyone from individuals to business to government and everything in between
But none of this is happening and never will. If it was a small tax that was proven to be use to develop better alternatives/infrastructure or even to clean up environmental issues I could understand as well

Unfortunately we are getting hit with an ever growing tax that has even caused us to be taxed on taxes. There is no accountability for where the money is going. The only goal given is to make it unaffordable to use products that emit carbon in hopes it decreases use. Yet we are not set up with viable alternatives and existing infrastructure doesn’t even support the alternative the government is pushing

It would be a completely different conversation if we were talking a small tax that was used for a purpose with a well thought out plan. Instead we have an over inflated tax with no accountability or direction on how the money is spent without no plans to improve the situation on why we are taxed

Personally I doubt we can have an impact on the climate and it changes throughout history with or without us but I can respect efforts to look away our air quality, water, and overall limit our population. So regardless of the climate change theory I still understand looking after what we have but the carbon tax is doing nothing of the sort
Old 03-23-2024, 10:20 AM

Quote:
When someone can prove to me how a carbon tax will prevent climate change, I will support it. That means disproving the accepted fact that there were multiple ice ages before man existed on earth.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I don’t think that is an unpopular set of ideals. I think most people would even support that. As you said though, our current wealth redistribution scheme is nothing of the sort.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I don’t think that is an unpopular set of ideals. I think most people would even support that. As you said though, our current wealth redistribution scheme is nothing of the sort.
With all do respect I think most people will not support that, lol!
Old 03-23-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
When someone can prove to me how a carbon tax will prevent climate change, I will support it. That means disproving the accepted fact that there were multiple ice ages before man existed on earth.
Good luck with that.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:36 PM

Quote:
We have 100 yr. climate cycles. There were the dirty 30’s. Guess what’s coming up again? That’s right the 30’s again!!
Old 03-23-2024, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
yup, we hobble ourselves while letting other countries eat our lunch. If we stick to patronage as a method of government it implies we should be laggards in implementing any such tax cause outside of resource extraction were just not competitive enough...resource extraction that were also trying to kill with the very same tax. How did we get this stupid? I'd like a Don Cherry type of government...put Canadians first.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
We have 100 yr. climate cycles. There were the dirty 30’s. Guess what’s coming up again? That’s right the 30’s again!!
No till farming methods has stopped the soil from really drying out and blowing away like the 30’s
Old 03-23-2024, 02:18 PM

Quote:
There are several problems with the carbon tax, besides what you've mentioned:

Are Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere actually too high?

What are those levels supposed to be, and how will we know when we are there?

If we do ever reach that level, how do we contain our own atmosphere, and mitigate drift across Nations?

How will bankrupting our society to achieve the above, save our country?

Answers are all the same....No one knows.
Hence why it is nothing more than another tax.
The government is addicted to spending.

With this particular government, I wouldn't doubt that it's much more nefarious than that.
Old 03-23-2024, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Me too, just wish they would stop with the BS, raise the GST back to 7%, say were broke and need the money. Liberal, NDP, CPC..... don't care. Just be honest and tell it like it is, how got to be broke...... that's another story.
Old 03-23-2024, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Me too, just wish they would stop with the BS, raise the GST back to 7%, say were broke and need the money. Liberal, NDP, CPC..... don't care. Just be honest and tell it like it is, how got to be broke...... that's another story.
Do not raise the gst, Trudeau will just give it away, or spend it on stupidity.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Do not raise the gst, Trudeau will just give it away, or spend it on stupidity.
Absolutely agree, just meant instead of some BS carbon tax.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:50 PM

Quote:
When someone proves to me that carbon is a environmental pollutant, then I will support the tax. But I believe in about grade three we were taught that most things on the planet are made of carbon and that trees and plants need it to breath during the day and produce oxygen so we and all other mammals can breath. Seems like a win, win to me.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
When someone proves to me that carbon is a environmental pollutant, then I will support the tax. But I believe in about grade three we were taught that most things on the planet are made of carbon and that trees and plants need it to breath during the day and produce oxygen so we and all other mammals can breath. Seems like a win, win to me.
I would never support a tax increase because I would never trust this government to spend it wisely.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:51 AM

Carbon tax is simply a sneaky way to increase tax revenue and dupe people into accepting it because its a made up environmental plight that pulls on peoples heart strings and enough accept it at least in the beginning to institute it. If they tried to raise the GST the wailing and gnashing of teeth would be overwhelming and people wouldn't accept it.

The only way they will change habits is through regulation not taxation. Quite clear to me it is about increasing revenue without actually doing anything to change the supposedly endangered environment.

All the changes or improvement to the environment over the decades has been through regulation, such as non leaded gas, emission controls, stack scrubbers and a myriad of other such things. Putting a tax on carbon without actually doing any thing to reduce it is pretty much a fraud in my opinion. Never understood how making carbon the enemy and taxing it is going to do anything. If they get away with it the next thing we will see is taxes on water and the air we breathe.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:21 AM

The carbon tax is really nothing more than another way to take more money from us , while virtue signaling.
Old 03-24-2024, 01:10 PM

Climate change is big business. Turning off the taxpayer funding taps that various governements have put in place will not be easy.

There will be many new angles coming forward from researchers to look for grant dollars (tax dollars) to pay for their salaries and want to grow institutes (reputations).

The genie maybe out of the bottle on this and no way back to control until there is a major disaster affecting a large % of the population.

https://edmontonsun.com/news/nationa...3-b7745216d206