Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 08:10 AM
Banned

I'd never give up a grand or two just to make it easier on a salesman. Sales is your job and you gotta earn it.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:46 AM

I remember the last vehicle we bought new, we caught the salesmen in a blatant lie.

While they where stuttering and blubbering and tripping over themselves, I gave them a short but firm speech. Essentially, "Look, this is not the only new vehicle I plan to buy over the next few years. I need to know that I can trust you, this is not a one-time relationship. Now it's up to you to make this right."

At the end of the day, I wasn't fooling myself into thinking that they cared, but it got me a little leverage and I got a deal that I was happy with. I've been going there for service ever since and have had good experiences.

But yeah, in general, I hate car shopping at dealerships. Just feel the extreme need to shower afterwards.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:16 AM

I hate going into a dealership and quickly approached by a salesperson I do not feel comfortable with. Recently I ignored a pushy sales guy and went over to talk to a guy sitting at a desk. The conversation was a lot better. I know if I didn't do this, I would have quickly left the dealership. There should be an easy way to change salesperson if not comfortable. I hate it when the sales guy feels like he owns you.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zims23 View Post
I hate going into a dealership and quickly approached by a salesperson I do not feel comfortable with. Recently I ignored a pushy sales guy and went over to talk to a guy sitting at a desk. The conversation was a lot better. I know if I didn't do this, I would have quickly left the dealership. There should be an easy way to change salesperson if not comfortable. I hate it when the sales guy feels like he owns you.
Normally I look up the sales team on the net and choose 2 to deal with one of them is usually at work

most of the time it works sometimes you get a dud and I just say

need to talk to someone else sorry

and I repock not someone he chooses to split the deal with
Old 09-21-2020, 11:38 AM
Banned

Take any salesman and use them to show u cars and test drive etc. Then when it is time to do the money dance follow your first offer to the sales manager and just deal with him. Know what you would consider a good deal and do the dance with you. Now you have his time being spent on your one deal . His other salesmen will have to wait for his time. Spew a couple things like how much manufacture discounts are being offered, how much more of deal I can get financing instead of paying tax, work on price and always at the end get them to throw in couple things spray in box liner, etc. Yes spring your trade last minute and state what would u give me for my vehicle and keeping price as agreed. Then u really find out what your trade in is worth to them.
I did that and my trade in was valued at $2500 so sold it privately for $5500.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:08 PM

To make a point of what I'm talking about. I had an issue with a preowned vehicle I bought at Lacombe Ford shortly after buying. Had it in for service over the weekend. Bill came to roughly $700 dollars, which I didn't pay anything for. My gas light had just come on when I pulled into the dealership, so they also topped up my tank and didn't charge me for the fuel either. This is what building a relationship with a dealer looks like. Lacombe Ford has won my business for life, very happy with the service.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-21-2020, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
To make a point of what I'm talking about. I had an issue with a preowned vehicle I bought at Lacombe Ford shortly after buying. Had it in for service over the weekend. Bill came to roughly $700 dollars, which I didn't pay anything for. My gas light had just come on when I pulled into the dealership, so they also topped up my tank and didn't charge me for the fuel either. This is what building a relationship with a dealer looks like. Lacombe Ford has won my business for life, very happy with the service.
My cousin's husband had lots of good things to say about lacombe ford as well. Hes more of a dodge guy but hates the dodge dealers in the area so he just buys ford for the ease of dealing.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
Take any salesman and use them to show u cars and test drive etc. Then when it is time to do the money dance follow your first offer to the sales manager and just deal with him. Know what you would consider a good deal and do the dance with you. Now you have his time being spent on your one deal . His other salesmen will have to wait for his time. Spew a couple things like how much manufacture discounts are being offered, how much more of deal I can get financing instead of paying tax, work on price and always at the end get them to throw in couple things spray in box liner, etc. Yes spring your trade last minute and state what would u give me for my vehicle and keeping price as agreed. Then u really find out what your trade in is worth to them.
I did that and my trade in was valued at $2500 so sold it privately for $5500.
Do people really do this with any degree of success?

At my work if you did that, my sales mgr would say thanks for stopping in but I have a salesteam for a reason. Or some other way of telling you politely but firmly to go away I’m busy. Lol
Old 09-21-2020, 03:22 PM

When I am shopping for a new vehicle I use the manufacturers web sites extensively. Design and build my vehicle on there. Gives the MSRP and any current manufacturers rebates. Also financing rates if I choose to go that way.
Then I will do an inventory search and see which dealers have what I’m looking for. Then I will search the dealers web site and have a look at that model and particular vehicle. Then I will go to the dealer and kick the tires. I already know what I’m going to pay within a few hundred dollars when I get there. Saves my time and theirs. Works for me.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
If someone smiling, waving, and saying "can I help you" is pushy, it's going to be a difficult process for you. If you're just looking, drive thru on Sunday, most, around here anyways, are closed and nobody's around.
This.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:27 AM

So I have a question. Ford is running an employee incentive program, a truck I built on the Ford site (just for fun) is discounted 12,000 total. Would you guys dicker for a better price than this?

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-22-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
So I have a question. Ford is running an employee incentive program, a truck I built on the Ford site (just for fun) is discounted 12,000 total. Would you guys dicker for a better price than this?
I got another 3 grand off

pushed a city dealer hard and he caved 2 grand

then I fibbed to the dealer I wanted to deal with by a grand and they matched price

normally don’t fib or outright lie but with car dealers that is the norm, just playing the poker game better then they are
Old 09-22-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I would call the dealership and talk with the sales manager to see what they could do on it. Tell them you're interested but make them earn your business. Also remember they're a business and need to make a bit of money on the sale. The things I don't stand for: waiting, this is a sales tactic to help with negotiation, if the paperwork isn't ready within 5 minutes of me getting there, I leave. I also have no time for the extra crap they try and sell like extended warranty, undercoating, insurance, etc... You can quickly be upside down on the vehicle with all the add ons. I also negotiate based on all in price including GST, so no surprises when I get to the dealership.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-22-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
When the time comes for me to buy our next vehicle, I'll be getting a burner phone and burner email address. I think I'll probably be looking Canada wide too.
Just remember that as an Alberta resident you will only be paying gst not pst.If i can save the airfare there and gas home with extra in my pocket, then I will be making a trip.
I tell them right up front that they are competing against the best price out the door across Canada.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:49 PM

Never from a stealership and definitely not from a corner lot. Most cars from those places come from the auction, no thanks. Plus your paying GST.

Private sale all day long.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Never from a stealership and definitely not from a corner lot. Most cars from those places come from the auction, no thanks. Plus your paying GST.

Unless you are buying new I absolutely agree. I have only bought one new vehicle in my life, in 1989. Have driven used ever since, and only bought 3 off of the lot, the rest were private sales. If you are unsure what to look for on a used vehicle, find a reputable independent shop to look over it for you, that can often save you a pile of money in the long or short run for that matter. Do your research and find out what you are looking for and do your best to not make the purchase an emotional decision.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post

I am absolutely astounded about how many of these lots are around and how they stay in business