Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2016, 04:14 PM

Default Fortress Lake - What weeks are the best fishing?

Hi all,

I am planning on hiking into fortress Lake (In BC, close to Jasper AB) next year and was wondering when would be the best time to go for fishing (Speckled Trout)? I have an inflatable whitewater kayak so I'm not worried about crossing the rivers anytime during the season.

Thanks for the help,
Old 07-12-2016, 08:03 PM

Default Fall

hey man I've never been there but I've watched/read a lot about this lake, and I know that brook trout get really aggressive in the fall and the action for them picks up at that time of year. Another advantage of a fall trip I would imagine is that the river crossings would be easier with low fall flows . Phil rowley did a episode of the new fly fisher tv show there( https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HAiHDDlFOsA) I would just copy his tactics in this video if I ever go there ! Good luck post ur results if go ! Thx
Old 07-12-2016, 09:05 PM

No bridge across Athabasca anymore
Old 07-13-2016, 08:35 AM

We are portaging a 3 man whitewater kayak in with us, do you think the river would still be a problem to cross? The Kayak is rated for class 4 rapids.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms View Post
We are portaging a 3 man whitewater kayak in with us, do you think the river would still be a problem to cross? The Kayak is rated for class 4 rapids.
You won't have to run any class 4. To cross the Athabasca, you may have to look upstream or down from the old suspension bridge location for a good spot. The Chaba ford is very wide, but not so deep. I've only gone in spring and fall, and haven't been in there since the bridge went out, but have forded the river in that general area previously. One time we were able to get canoes flown in, and when it was time to leave, we canoed down the Chaba and Athabasca right out to Hwy 93!
To answer your first question: I've fished Fortress right after ice out and also around Labour day - the fishing was awesome both times! The fish are a little bigger and more colourful later in the year.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:13 AM

Sorry to hijack, but I'm also very keen on accessing this lake and avoiding the prohibitive cost of the lodge (around $5,000 CAD per person I believe).

How did you get canoe's flown in? What outfit did you use and what was the cost?
Old 07-13-2016, 09:15 AM

Thanks big bull, do I have to buy a back county permit or one of the campsites on the lake? If so how to buy the permit or book a campsite?
Old 07-13-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemoredog View Post
Sorry to hijack, but I'm also very keen on accessing this lake and avoiding the prohibitive cost of the lodge (around $5,000 CAD per person I believe).

How did you get canoe's flown in? What outfit did you use and what was the cost?
It was a joint project that we were working on for Parks Canada and BC Parks. Us and our gear got helicoptered in by Yellowhead Helicopters out of Valemount.

Quote:
Thanks big bull, do I have to buy a back county permit or one of the campsites on the lake? If so how to buy the permit or book a campsite?
The campsites on the lake are managed by Mt. Robson Provincial Park, and I'm not sure if there is a fee. You could contact the Mt. Robson Visitor Centre.
If you are going to camp in Jasper National Park, you will need to book a site.
https://reservation.pc.gc.ca/ParksCanada
Old 07-13-2016, 10:24 AM

Good luck finding a charter to fly in there unless it is to the camp

I tried that route a couple years ago and no one would fly me in cause they all have an agreement with the camp ....

They do their best to keep private flights out as some form of exclusivity

Maybe things have changed
Keep us posted
Old 07-13-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Perhaps we got lucky, but we booked in Dec of 2008 (so during/right after the financial collapse) for a spring 2009 trip and they were advertising reduced rates. If memory serves me, it was approx $2500 for 5 days. So $ 500/day which is about the average daily rate of a Bow River guide I think. We had to get ourselves to Hinton/Jasper airport.

We flew in early afternoon on 1st day and flew out late afternoon on Friday. So those 2 days we got partial fishing in. Other 3 days were full days of fishing (as much as you can handle).

We were lucky, as my brother and I were the only ones staying at the lodge that week. A couple of float planes did land and camp across the lake.

What you might want to do is contact the Operator and provide them your contact details. Then if they have a last minute cancellation or 1 spot remaining to fill the plane/chopper, maybe you can get a reduced rate (a win/win situation for both parties). No guarantee, but worth a shot...
Old 07-13-2016, 01:12 PM

Looks like I exaggerated a bit! Must have gotten mixed up with other lodges...

The actual rates are:

Fly & Stay
Our flights occur Mondays and Fridays and our packages are 4, 5, or 8 calendar days. These include the return fight to Fortress Lake (2 legs).
4 days – Cdn$3,400 (approx. US$2,600) (Friday to Monday)
5 days – Cdn$3,600 (approx. US$2,800) (Monday to Friday)
8 days – Cdn$4,100 (approx. US$3,200) (M-M or F-F)
*Price Per Person

Maybe there are other options where you would camp instead of stay at the lodge that would reduce the price. Your idea about filling in for a last minute cancellation is a good one. Never thought of that.

Still. $3,400 a pop. That feels like $115/bbl period prices.

Looks like they used to do a package where you could hike in but no longer offer it due to the bridge being out.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:06 AM

Found this link, thought it would be helpful:
http://www.summitsearch.org/routes/1...ess-lake-trail
Old 07-21-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
You won't have to run any class 4. To cross the Athabasca, you may have to look upstream or down from the old suspension bridge location for a good spot. The Chaba ford is very wide, but not so deep. I've only gone in spring and fall, and haven't been in there since the bridge went out, but have forded the river in that general area previously. One time we were able to get canoes flown in, and when it was time to leave, we canoed down the Chaba and Athabasca right out to Hwy 93!
To answer your first question: I've fished Fortress right after ice out and also around Labour day - the fishing was awesome both times! The fish are a little bigger and more colourful later in the year.
Didn't know they had a bridge...... but it was in the 80s when I used to go & I hiked in. One time took the chopper from camp & took my 4 man raft. Like you, I rafted out to the HWY.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Didn't know they had a bridge...... but it was in the 80s when I used to go & I hiked in. One time took the chopper from camp & took my 4 man raft. Like you, I rafted out to the HWY.
Membership has it's privileges!
Old 07-21-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Found this link, thought it would be helpful:
http://www.summitsearch.org/routes/1...ess-lake-trail
Thanks for posting this. I think I can manage the hike with light gear and tackle. The two major points of pain that remain are fording the rivers. As per comments from other posters, the Chaba sounds doable just with a pair of waders. I'm a little more concerned about the Athabasca since there is no longer a bridge. It sounds like fording it without some kind of craft is quite risky.

Then once you reach the lake you need a way to move around on the lake. So again you'll need some kind of light craft. Seems to me either a small raft or float tube is the only thing you'd be able to reasonably carry.

If I do this my plan would be to take a bike. This would let me bring additional cargo but also be a faster way to cover the first 16 or so KMs. I'd have to stash the bike at the Chaba fording and hoof it in the rest of the way and thus would still be limited to bringing only a very light craft since it's still 4 to 6 KMs to the lake from the Chaba fording.

Hiking in with a float tube and flippers might be the only feasible way to access this lake.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:25 AM

There used to be sneakers hanging in the trees at the Chaba ford that you could use. We would just strip down to our undies, and take a pair of sneakers. The only problem with the Chaba crossing is that it is so wide, you will gave no feeling in your legs before you reach the other side. I personally, would not try the trip during high water.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Hiking in with a float tube and flippers might be the only feasible way to access this lake.
I believe so.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:15 PM

Default Heading in

Hey guys I'm heading into fortress lake for a few days next week. I've gone twice before but both times were at the end of May . I'm excited !! I have a 2 man inflatable kayak that my dog and I will be using for the Athabasca and for the lake as well. If water levels permit , we will raft down to big bend and then hike the remainder. Gotta love being able to use 2 rods in BC when you are alone in a boat, I just hope I don't get a double header . I'll post pics on my return
Old 09-24-2016, 07:54 AM

Yes please post your trip. The fish will be at the other end.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
Yes please post your trip. The fish will be at the other end.
Ya I'm excited , we are camping at fortress creek, we plan to fish the creek and the east bay, west bay around there for BIG cruisers. I had a really good 20 minute conversation with the fortress lake retreat. We will head to the far west end of the lake on the second day if the fishing is poor/average around those areas. The last time I was in there was 5 years ago , I brought TOO much scotch, I have no idea if I was even casting into the lake . !!
Old 09-25-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
Ya I'm excited , we are camping at fortress creek, we plan to fish the creek and the east bay, west bay around there for BIG cruisers. I had a really good 20 minute conversation with the fortress lake retreat. We will head to the far west end of the lake on the second day if the fishing is poor/average around those areas. The last time I was in there was 5 years ago , I brought TOO much scotch, I have no idea if I was even casting into the lake . !!
Haha
Old 09-26-2016, 10:34 AM

Give us a report. And take your woolies
Old 06-18-2018, 01:13 PM

Thanks to all for posting, lots to read, we are planning a trip in, but my buddy has a plane, on floats, just watching the weather, we plan to go in on Wednesday, the cost for the lodge is huge if using there mode of flight, not bad when flying in your self,
Old 06-19-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Thanks to all for posting, lots to read, we are planning a trip in, but my buddy has a plane, on floats, just watching the weather, we plan to go in on Wednesday, the cost for the lodge is huge if using there mode of flight, not bad when flying in your self,
Doesn't the lodge hold exclusive rights to land a float plane on that lake? Or is that just what they tell people?
Old 06-19-2018, 10:36 PM

I am planning this trip as well for September after I get back from chilkoot trail -- I am going the float tube route or a small blow up boat.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
Doesn't the lodge hold exclusive rights to land a float plane on that lake? Or is that just what they tell people?
When I stayed there in 2009, the lodge owner told me they have exclusive 'commercial rights' with Hamber Provincial Park for charter planes into the lake. So nobody can hire a plane to fly them in there.

But,,,that doesn't prevent people with a pilot's license and access to a float plane to fly themselves into the lake for their own use, as I myself witnessed whilst I was there.

dunno if things have changed since 2009.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:06 AM

No nothing has changed
Old 06-20-2018, 10:17 AM

PM incoming.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2018, 04:55 PM

Default Canoe Fortress

Special note on the section from the Sunwapta/Athabasca confluence to hwy 93 - Not recommended at high water levels in open boats as this section can be continuous class III+ for 5km and can make for a long cold swim in the Athabasca. I've done it.

Portaging a canoe into fortress is straightforward. Use a dolly for the first 15km and then paint up the Chaba for rest.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:
When I stayed there in 2009, the lodge owner told me they have exclusive 'commercial rights' with Hamber Provincial Park for charter planes into the lake. So nobody can hire a plane to fly them in there.

But,,,that doesn't prevent people with a pilot's license and access to a float plane to fly themselves into the lake for their own use, as I myself witnessed whilst I was there.

dunno if things have changed since 2009.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

The New lodge owners are Very customer friendly , book with them all good, fly your own plane in all good, we stayed with them, their chef is top notch, sleeping tents warm and comfortable, fishing was a bit slow right now, only 32 Brookies catch over the 3 days we were there, had a feed of fresh brookies for 1 dinner, crazy good, heading there in August for better fly action, flying in again.

if anybody knows a float plane company that wants to fly clients in there they are will to talk to them, right now only heli flights in/out